• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does your ctsc chirp like a cricket?

Hello primers,
Im less then 1 month on my ctsc and now it chirps like a cricket before it gets warmed up. It's not super loud and it does not scare me. Talked to Shad and he says its normal. I have played with the belt a little and that seemed to quiet it down a little. After the blower is warm there is zero sound. I'm just wondering if this actually the norm as it just started doing this and also, if so is there anyway to combat the situation? Like maybe a gator back belt or Ti Daves belt tensioner? I'm still loving the system extremely with very smooth idle ect. But now I have a swarm of crickets in my engine bay. Fyi it is a 1.6 Lysholm blower. Thanks

I have not had any crickets. Same blower. Neither with the Gatorback belt and CT tensioner nor the nonGatorback belt and TiDave tensioner. Can't comment on nonGatorback and CT tensioner combo.

Ok, that's 1 ctsc that does not chirp. Anyone else? I figure if I get five votes for non chirp I will bring it to Shad. Could be the re manufactured alternator.

Jinks, you're not alone. I have the same problem. I also thought it was the belt. Haven't done anything yet. I'm going to the NSXCA NE Dinner this Sunday and Larry B. Is going to take a look to see if I need any maintenance so I'll ask him about that too. But this only happens on its first cold start. It goes away once is warmed up, that's what's troubling me.

frankie

Jinks, you're not alone. I have the same problem. I also thought it was the belt. Haven't done anything yet. I'm going to the NSXCA NE Dinner this Sunday and Larry B. Is going to take a look to see if I need any maintenance so I'll ask him about that too. But this only happens on its first cold start. It goes away once is warmed up, that's what's troubling me.

frankie
Oh thank god. I thought I was alone here. It's just a sound of like a squeaky belt and it goes away within minutes. But when brand new it did not do this. Also, @jwmelvin I thought you had a Whipple blower? Please advise me if this is normal when Larry takes a look see. Thank you.

Last edited:
Also, [MENTION=28830]jwmelvin[/MENTION] I thought you had a Whipple blower?

I was under the impression that what people call a Whipple blower is in fact made by Lysholm. Which is different from the newer blower now supplied, made by Autorotor. Is that not correct?

I have a Whipple and I was that it's made by Lysholm.

From what I gather, and please I am no expert. But lysholm, Whipple, and auto-rotor are all 3 different manufacturers.
Auto-rotor are made of billet aluminum while Whipple and lysholm are cast made.

To the extent a Whipple supercharger is distinct from a Lysholm, that happened at a later time and I do not believe has relevance to the NSX. That's my take on what I have read on Prime in light of this history: https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=5

This also describes some of the relationships: http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/powertrain/superchargers.htm

And for a discussion on Prime: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/139033-Autorotor-Whipple-Lysholm

Update: I think I see what you're talking about [MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION]. There are two versions that have been sold by Whipple, and it's a little unclear when people refer to them. My guess is that both are made by Lysholm. See here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164164

Last edited:
I will have to review this when I have the time. Thank you for the clarification. But for me right now, and I mean no disrespect, is this noise normal? I'd like to stick to the question at hand. But any information is very credible and I thank you for taking the time to help. As stated previously, Shad says it is normal. He did work for ct. So I trust his authority. My only concearn here is how to quiet it down a bit. I love my ctsc and its opened a new chapter in nsx ownership. I only wish to bring potential issue to light. Thank you all for posting.

Yea sorry to clog your thread with my notes. For your chirping, why don't you post a video to help show the sound? Shad does seem to know what matters, but I can understand wanting to quiet it.

No problem man. I will try and post up a video this weekend.

Mine makes a sound that could be described as a cricket chirp and it is most noticeable before the blower gets hot.

I had to replace an idler pulley recently. That made an unmistakable racket that did not go way when warm.

Yup, that sounds like mine. A chirping cricket before the blower warms up.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine don't chirp either.
Do you have the gator back belt or the titanium Daves belt tensioner? Also, which blower?

I have both. I haven't a glue now after reading everything from above. I believe I have the whipple 1.6 low boost kit. There's a "2700" etched on the blower. From what I know the blower can accept the old driving ambition aftercooler, which I don't have. The plate below the blower can be remove and the aftercooler
Sit between that and blower. Never got around to it.
This is mine.

Last edited:
Jinks, here is my take. Sent my CTSC for a rebuild last year amd it chirped after I re-installed it. Chirp would go away after a minute or so. Suspected belt tension but it wasn't. Then noticed the SC oil level was at the bottom mark on the dipstick. Added CS oil to reach the top mark on the dipstick and it never chirped again.

Hmmm okay. I checked it. But I will check it again. Thanks a bunch!
@BTL3.0 that appears to be a Whipple charger as it has the arrow point on the TB side. Here is my lysholm

View attachment 123205

I see. Sorry i wasnt much help. Probably made it more confusing.. Hope you can get it resolve soon.

I see. Sorry i wasnt much help. Probably made it more confusing.. Hope you can get it resolve soon.
No worries, all the kits use the same tensioner pulley assembly and stuff it appears. Just different blower assemblies and blower pulleys. The autorotor is the only one that has a different drive on it which has an oil breather port. The Whipple/ lysholm still have the Whipple brand drive shaft.

My low boost 1.6L Whipple (a first generation Lysholm 1.6 A model) no chirp but nice whine!

Last edited:
Update.
Okay, now the cricket is back after the blower warms up too. It appears to be one of the pulleys not the blower.
Here is a video of it warmed up and just blipping the throttle.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WbQ7kdwjS-0

Can't see the video since its private.

Can't see the video since its private.
Lol, sorry it is my first YouTube video. I'm trying to find how to make it public but I am striking out. Any advice? No, I got it. Try it now.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I got it figured out here guys. When the issue first started, the belt looked super tight. I very slightly loosened the belt last weekend and that quieted it down substantially. Then today it was worse and would not go away after a warm up.
So I just tightened the belt now and the noise is 100% gone when idling. Will take it for a test drive later. The belt still twists 90 degrees as required. Anyone who has sound like I did in the above video, try tightening the belt some.

Last edited:
Back