• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Door Panel Tab Repair DIY

I wanted to give you my approach to fixing this problem.
I've done my research and read about repairs involving glue, plastics, epoxy etc... I'm sure they are just as good, but I wanted something sturdier.

NOTE: This repair strategy will not work on all of the TABS of the door.

Some of the tabs, like below, have "misaligned" screw holes to the tab, so it won't work.
DSC03148.jpg

If you happen to have a broken tab that is aligned with the bracing piece screw, then you can attempt this repair.
Here is an example of one that ISN'T broken, but could theoretically be fixed in this fashion.
DSC03147.jpg

Here is my problem piece. The plastic crumbled as I was removing the door panel to get to the speaker box.
DSC03146.jpg
another view:
DSC03149.jpg
side view:
DSC03152.jpg

Now on to the repair: I wanted to use something with additional bracing and support. I decided to use a piece of pipe brace.
Trial #1 was with a copper -T-shape pipe wrap - Home Hardware store - $2.15
DSC03145.jpg

Align and bend it as necessary to get the shape all right
DSC03154.jpg

clearance was checked, close but far from perfect
DSC03153.jpg

This is the tied down screw of the perimeter and as you can see, there is a slight curvature that needs to be replicated for a perfect fit
DSC03151.jpg

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the alignment 100% correct for the bottom piece that needed to be bolted down
The metal was too thick and difficult to bend precisely.
I'm sure some of you could actually get this to work with thicker metal
DSC03155.jpg
So I abandoned the procedure with this type of metal.

Trial #2 was with some more malleable routine pipe fitting that you find in the plumbing supply section.
cost: $0.93

same procedure as above - much easier to manipulate the metal, the screw holes lined up perfectly and were very strong.
DSC03157.jpg

another view
DSC03158.jpg

all you need to do now is paint it black (if you want). It secured up nicely and overall, was a tight perfect fit.

I can assure THIS tab will never break again. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I always knew there would be a great way to fix these just couldn't figure it out. Thanks for figuring it out. definitely fixing a few spots next time i have to take my panels off

Here's another way. Using this kit, you can rebuild the tabs with plastic. I've done this and you can't tell the difference from new. It somes with a silicone "molding bar" so you can mold and reproduce missing tabs from existing ones. Or you can build stuff up a little at a time and file to shape. HTH give another option:

http://www.eastwood.com/rigid-plastic-repair-kit-black.html

Most of my tabs were broken from previous doorpanel removal prior to my ownership. I simply replaced them all {yes, ouch} several years ago. Nonetheless, I am always extra careful when removing the panels. One tab has cracked due to stress I believe. Not broken but cracked. Still, these tabs could've been made a bit beefier from Honda IMO.

You can also get the metal straps in black so it'll look better.

Back