• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN Installation and.....Glare Solution

Attached are images of my Double Din Installation.

Components:

Head Unit - Kenwwod DNX9980HD
Speakers - Boston Acoustic SR 65
Backup Camera - BOYO Vision VTL425 Slim
Antenna - Shark Attack II

Notes:

Used adapters and CD Player cable to run power and signal from Camera to Head Unit

Finished Project</SPAN></SPAN>

A.jpg

Startup Screen – Thanks to the Kenwood Forum for instructions and conversion of image into proper image format.</SPAN></SPAN>

B.jpg

Screen in Tilt Mode – First level off Glare protection</SPAN></SPAN>

C.jpg

After months of brainstorming, testing and manufacturing to phenomenally tight tolerances, I came up with a solution that cuts the glare with the simple press of a button</SPAN></SPAN>

D.jpg

OK, so the button was on the Glove Box and what I pulled out was a cut up Black Heavy File Folder shaped and folded to provide the required glare protection. Several different shapes can be cut to provide protect several directions. </SPAN></SPAN>

Another view of the shade.</SPAN></SPAN>

E.jpg

Wider view showing Remote Control</SPAN></SPAN>

F.jpg

Camera View on Screen</SPAN></SPAN>

H.jpg

View of Installed Back-up Camera</SPAN></SPAN>

G.jpg

Antenna</SPAN></SPAN>

I.jpg

Full View of Car - Just because</SPAN></SPAN>

J.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Don,

I like your install very much! Looks really clean. Can you let me know where you got it installed? (since you're pretty local to me)

Thanks,
- Zishan

I had got my console made so that the top of it sits out about an inch. It does't get rid of all the glare but it definitely helps. The only other thing do, is like what Teej, said to use, a $*#!&$ money screen:rolleyes:

010.jpg

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

The dash is at such a steep angle before you start, you would have to tilt the screen an incredible amount to avoid the glare. An angle that would be more than impossible.

There are many install techniques to solve this problem but using the Kenwood double din with the reverse tilt option helps a lot. I don't know why few mfr. offer this option. Most decks tilt in positive direction which is NOT what you want in the NSX. You need a reverse tilt.

Check out my thread - we could have built out an upper hood to make it even more effective in this example below...

this is the reverse tilt in action:

when unit is powered off you can see it goes back to it's rest position:

S4play,

I'm guessing your using the factory panel.

Can the recessed headunit install be done and still keep the factory ashtray door?

And is this only for the kenwood? Or are there other brands that can reverse tilt?

thanks

Last edited:
^I'm not sure of other brands but I don't think Pioneer or Alpine offers this and they are the major big players in this market along with Kenwood.

It would be do-able with the ashtray but a lot harder to get the angles right. Personally I think the OEM ashtray should never have been located in that position. It's a horrible place to put it as anything plugged into that outlet just gets hit when shifting. So why bother keeping it in the car is our stance if you are spending all this money to upgrade the interior.

But if you must have that OEM ashtray, I'm sure we can make it work (just keep in mind there is more labor cost involved).

Another cheap and easy option would be to tint your front windshield....we had one guy do it and works well :) Cheap and effective if your state law does not prohibit it.

I don't know of a state that does allow it. But apparently they are out there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

We have another NSX double din installation planned later this month and plan to incorporate a few tricks to fix the glare issue. If this works the plan is to build an iPad mini in the dash sitting vertically and moving the radio to the center console :)

I did a similar thing by having a hood made of metal to block the glare.

At first I thought you were joking about using that metal hood then I realized you were serious! This is not what I was referring to in our design but I must say creative on your part. Aren't you afraid that thing might impale you in an accident?

At first I thought you were joking about using that metal hood then I realized you were serious! This is not what I was referring to in our design but I must say creative on your part. Aren't you afraid that thing might impale you in an accident?

I was referring to the first post and what he made and just wanted to show what a friend made for me. It slides on and off and I only use it when using the navigation and the top off.

Attached are images of my Double Din Installation.

Components:

Head Unit - Kenwwod DNX9980HD
Speakers - Boston Acoustic SR 65
Backup Camera - BOYO Vision VTL425 Slim
Antenna - Shark Attack II

Notes:

Used adapters and CD Player cable to run power and signal from Camera to Head Unit

Finished Project</SPAN></SPAN>

View attachment 98954

Who did your console modification?

Last edited:
Back