• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drive cross country... Which car?

Do it looking like this Dave, I totally think you will look great.

:biggrin::wink:

Attachments

• dave1.jpg
    dave1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I have a even better solution. Buy a more slightly used cheaper pre 02+ NSX and there you go. Nothing to worry about.

Keep your Silverstone beauty at home and have you Road Warrior for the trip.

After your trip just resell the NSX. Or keep it. Or make it a graduation present for a special someone of a young age. :biggrin: (I kid on the last part. Unless you want to of course)

Why put all that money in a car you are afraid to drive because insurance may not cover it? You have the same risk of an accident driving 20 miles per day close to home as you do driving 3000 miles in the course of a month. You have a greater risk at the track either having a brain fart and spinning into the armco or having the porsche in front of you blow a hose and you are the poor unfortunate bastard who hits the fluids before seeing a yellow flag.

Sorry Dave, but I have to keep going back to my opinion that I just don't understand why people spend so much money on a car that they don't enjoy because:

1. someone may hit you in a parking lot
2. it may get stolen
3. it's raining out
4. I'm saving its "virginity" for the next buyer
5. etc., etc., etc.

I can sympathize with Dave here. Yes, at the end of the day, it's just a car, a pile of metal and rubber, but the sheer fact that we belong to this forum indicates that it's more than just a car to us. It's an pleasure element in our lives that we want to preserve. Dave has alot of time and money invested in his car, but he also has alot of his soul invested in it as well.
If Dave loses it on the track and totals his NSX, it's a loss on his terms and his responsibility. I think what Dave is saying is that he wants to lay his head down at night in the motel with the pleasant memories of his drive, not stay up worrying about the possibility of someone vandalizing his baby, or worse, stealing it.

I have driven across the country many times. A list of cars I have done the trip in;

1984 honda civic wagon, great trip except the winshield was broken right in the line of vision about 50 miles into the trip from a huge rock that was kicked up by a truck. Every picture I have of the trip there is an almost perfect cicular crack in the winshield. NY to Pheonix

1985 Chevy silverado pickup, this truck had 525,000 miles on it before it died. Texas to NY and back

1981 silverado pickup with 454, this was when gas was cheap. I made it all the way from Texas to NY in this truck and when I shut it off at my mothers house, It chugged a few times with the key in the off position, it never restarted again, LOL.

1977, no joke Ford LTD wagon with wood-sides, got a flat tire about 100 miles from home, opened the back, lifted the door on the side compartment to reveal.... the road. Where the spare tire should have been was a huge empty space of rotted out nothingness. A police officer stopped and gave me his spare to get the car to the gas station where I traded a boom box to the gas station guy for a used tire. This was a fun trip. I was young, in my teens and so were my two companions. I relish this trip all the time. I still talk at least once a week with the two guys I took this trip with. We left with a whopping 135 bucks between the three of us, about 50 bucks of that was in pennies. I remember going through the toll booth and paying in pennies and the toll booth guy saying in a strong VA accent, you New Yorker's sure are generous, LOL.

The only trip I took as a child was in an early 70's turqoius station wagon with wood-sides. We drove from NY to Florida with little money. We also got a flat somewhere along the way and stopped at a junkyard to get a spare. This junkyard had multiple wild animals, including a lion. I have footage on super 8 of that junkyard and the lion, it was somewhere along Route 81 or 95 on the way to Florida. My mother was in a panic that the lion would eat us. Looking back on it now she was right to be scared.

....many years of doing nothing but work work work

Back on the road in a 05 Porsche Cayenne between NY and Florida, Not really a comfortable ride over long distances.

05 SL55, this was a quick trip to Florida. On the way back I spun this car around on Route 81. I would like to thank the driver of the 18 wheeler for cutting off the other 18 wheeler who was coming up really fast behind me and most likely would have killed Renee and I had he not been blocked by the first 18 wheeler driver cutting him off.

05 S55, great car to take a long trip in, comfy and uneventful.

04 VW W12 Phaeton. Hands down the best car EVER to take across the country. You could drive that car for 12 hours and it felt like 5 minutes. Renee and I were stranded in Ohio during this trip on Thanksgiving day the only people in the hotel. We first stayed in room 217 and was then moved to 237, creepy IMO. This was Oregon to NY. We went through Idaho and got lost, really lost on a back road. This road had no guard rail and a huge drop off into a raging river below. When the sun went down the mist on the road froze into black ice. I was super stressed out. We almost ran out of gas as well.

06 lincoln zephyr, California to NY, slept most of this trip in the back seat with the flu.

Lots of fun out there on the road but if not for my mother in law's fear of planes I would be flying.

Dave, imagine if you were to drop dead tonight where would your car end up? It may not be fun to think about some kid buying it at auction, burning the tires off it while smoking a cigg and blowing the door amps... but hey it's possible even probable so the best thing to do while you have stewardship is to enjoy the car because someone else will.

Is the car suppose to be enjoyed? If so then there is a tank full of enjoyment, if you use a 1/4 of that where does the other 3/4 go. Maybe the car is sad itself because it wants to make ya happy and it feels like it's being held back, ya know like a dog that wants to go for a walk and won't stop putting it's nose under your hand. :biggrin: just take the car for a walk, its earned a walk.

If you really don't want to use your car buy a POS but runs good Honda and come visit all of us. we can sign the car with a Graffiti marker. then you can sell it on ebay to pay yourself back for the trip. :wink::biggrin: Set your stop up here in the summer and I'll take ya out on the boat. Heck, If you pull me on the skis I'll let ya drive:biggrin:

Dave, imagine if you were to drop dead tonight where would your car end up? It may not be fun to think about some kid buying it at auction, burning the tires off it while smoking a cigg and blowing the door amps... but hey it's possible even probable so the best thing to do while you have stewardship is to enjoy the car because someone else will.

Is the car suppose to be enjoyed? If so then there is a tank full of enjoyment, if you use a 1/4 of that where does the other 3/4 go. Maybe the car is sad itself because it wants to make ya happy and it feels like it's being held back, ya know like a dog that wants to go for a walk and won't stop putting it's nose under your hand. :biggrin: just take the car for a walk, its earned a walk.

If you really don't want to use your car buy a POS but runs good Honda and come visit all of us. we can sign the car with a Graffiti marker. then you can sell it on ebay to pay yourself back for the trip. :wink::biggrin: Set your stop up here in the summer and I'll take ya out on the boat. Heck, If you pull me on the skis I'll let ya drive:biggrin:

The ring of truth here is positively deafening.

Rare trip + rare car = an adventure to remember

dollins2.jpg

13412d1071628236-black-chrome-acura-emblems-practice36.jpg

ring.jpg

I'm thinking late summer early fall when weather is good. Did you get my post above? LOL... I got creative.

Not sure i got the whole thing but I like that it's creative.

I can't promise you we will have as much fun as I had last time out on the boat cause I blew the motor ..... but i will have it fixed by summer and give it a try if you come around. :biggrin:

Not sure i got the whole thing but I like that it's creative.

I can't promise you we will have as much fun as I had last time out on the boat cause I blew the motor ..... but i will have it fixed by summer and give it a try if you come around. :biggrin:

Do you need the birds and bees explained to you again Steve ? Flowing liquid....The shape of the Acura symbol..............

Do you need the birds and bees explained to you again Steve ? Flowing liquid....The shape of the Acura symbol..............

LOL... no it was 3 pictures:

1) Pond
2) A
3) Ring

Pond-a-ring.... "Pondering"

I was pondering his suggestions. LOL...

I had water A ring. I was still working on it. I thought it had something to do with Matt's post and the ring of truth.

LOL... no it was 3 pictures:

1) Pond
2) A
3) Ring

Pond-a-ring.... "Pondering"

I was pondering his suggestions. LOL...

Well, I thought the 3rd pic meant a shotgun wedding, but I didn't want to insult anyone. (That's a crappy example pic of a "pond" Dave !)

LOL... well sorry guys I'm new at this game.

I wasn't even close. I was thinking Mordor or Bilbo or something on the last one :)

you are right...Daves last name is Baggins.:tongue:

Just rent a drop top Corvette or Camaro. If you don't want a vert & want a sedan get the Cadilac CTS, Maxima, or even the new Buick Regal.

LOL That last picture kinda looks like Dave:tongue:

NSX. No contest.

Turbo, before you even consider it I would say NO WAY to the NSX and the reason is not even about how nice or not the car is. Driving cross-country will most likely give you at least one flat tire. The NSX can't even fit a full size spare tire so this is one big reason I would never take it long distance. Pop a tire on I5 between norcal and socal and I would be screwed. My rims are way too expensive and my car way too valuable to do this.

To answer your questions ~ (I've actually considered this as well) is to rent a HERTZ Corvette. I know many people here bash the Vette but it's one of the most comfortable highway cruisers and at least easier to find a Corvette tire size. Nothing beats a V8 for highway miles and it will be fun but not stand out when you want to be low-key :wink:

I don't think the vette is unlimited miles. It'll be a HUGE bill.

Dave... my wife and I have made many long distance road trips over the past 25 years, including several in the NSX (MA to AZ and back, and MA to FL and back, twice!)... it's the best road trip car, i.e., comfortable, economical, great performance when you want it, and lots of "looks".

There were numerous other such trips in less cool car, e.g., 60's Olds 442, 70's Chevy van, 80's Saab 900T, 90's Lexus, etc.

But, in the past 5 years we've had two multi-week West to East road trips where we bought a vintage car (BMWs in these cases) in the West, flew out to pick it up and drove back with an open agenda and just a rough idea where we wanted to go... these were the best of all!:smile: Here's link to the one we took this past July.

It's a great way to go, far better than a rental car, and if you pick the right car you can sell it here in the East and make enough to cover the purchase price of the car and all expenses associated with the trip... worth a thought.:smile:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=93949&highlight=

Back