• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drive cross country... Which car?

I would have but a few weeks later I went to Japan for NSX Fiesta (and I didn't drive there either........) :tongue:

Because he wanted to be relaxed sitting in the hotel lobby having a drink when I came through the door exhausted! Turns out, I never made the drive in the NSX either. Flew to Japan instead.

I wish I can take a month off...

And wait a second, didn't Dave just went on vacation in Hawaii???

Last edited:
Since u will be driving long distance, you need a car that is comfortable and the nsx is not that car.

Doubleplus disagree. The NSX is the most comfortable long distance driver I've ever had. I've driven 800+ miles in a day with absolutely zero back or ass pain.

what wrong with 3000 mile?

who cares the car is still going to be worth the same with the added miles.

but.... ROCK CHIPS... yikes thats the only real problem.

and if you see your old friends in a prius they will think man he must not be doing well. LOL

with a bumper sticker " my other car is an NSX " yeah right they think. but in reality YES you do.

Last edited:
If you want range and comfort...

4 gas stops and the ocean will be on the left side before you know it.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1068628_jaguar-xf-clean-diesel-completes-u-s-cross-county-tour

webxf-diesel-crosscountry.jpg

When you drive thru the south.. please add any of the following :)
tumblr_lntjcyhMXF1qm6j3jo1_500.png

Last edited:
NSX!!! I drove to Florida and back several times in the NSX. As long as you don't plan on doing any sleeping in it, you're good!

I wish I can take a month off...

And wait a second, didn't Dave just went on vacation in Hawaii???

It's for next year, OK? LOL... :biggrin:

When you drive thru the south.. please add any of the following :)
tumblr_lntjcyhMXF1qm6j3jo1_500.png

LOL... yeah it'll be even better on an NSX.

NSX!!! I drove to Florida and back several times in the NSX. As long as you don't plan on doing any sleeping in it, you're good!

OK, but this is a low milage 05 with 50K in mods. Imagine I park at a hotel, go to bed, and wake up and it's gone. I would be a little upset.

I think the NSX has a TERRIFIC seat and stock, is very comfortable. But my particular NSX is not the car for this.

The real nice cars like Jags I think are milage limited.

For an easy, no time pressure drive like you are suggesting, I have found no better excuse or fun that to do it with the NSX - just soften your suspension and go have some fun. I regret in the early years not driving as much as I should have and limited it to the 5000 miles lease agreement.

As for being worried parking it with 50K mods in some motel ....... then I recommend that you respect your NSX and stay at more reputable hotels :tongue:

Dang, your NSX is NOT a Bugatti Veyron or an F40 or McClaren, etc. You have the right car and you want to rent something else............not getting it. You built it for what, to not drive it?
Buy a black SOS satin car cover and when it's on, the car disappears. If your car gets stolen, you have insurance. My dad always said to live like there is no tomorrow (RIP).

A quote from an unknown author that always stuck with me>

Seize the Opportunity – Opportunities are those things that may present themselves once in a lifetime and in a very small window of time. One thing that those close to death readily admit is that they wish they would have taken more risks in their life. They wish they would have taken the opportunity when it presented itself instead of sticking with their “safe” lifestyle to that point.

Last edited:
Dave,

Last time we talked on the phone... ur hitting like 6 honeys along the way... what if one is down to see the next.. u gotta have the room man.

getta back seater

You should make it like a Top Gear challenge. Buy an older (01-03) Audi S8, drive it cross country, and sell it when you get back (for a profit?). You could also try a Lexus LS400. I've been reading up on them lately and they seem great. Enjoy the trip!

I wish I could take the NSX. I'd have to change the exhaust.

Difficult to recommend a car since you are all over the place. You can rent a dodge charger for <$500 for a month; that's what I'd do if I didn't take the NSX. Renting a prius may be cheaper when you factor in fuel costs; the charger gets about 25mpg on the highway. I've rented one several times now. A mazda six is great too and gets closer to 28-30mpg. You want something at least a little entertaining while you drive.

Regarding the range, I laughed when you mentioned getting stuck somewhere due to lack of a place to get gas.

The vehicle I took on an 11,000 mile month long road trip to the most remote areas of North America had a range of about 150 miles and never ran out of gas. That's not to say I didn't have a couple close calls; one in Montana and another in the Yukon territory. Remember that the lowest you are going to get on a modern car is 350 miles of highway driving; that's five solid hours of highway driving to come across a gas station.

I wish I could take the NSX. I'd have to change the exhaust.

I drove from MA to Florida then up thru TN and KY on NYE 1999. I was stopped new years day 2000 in KY for 100mph+ with nobody else on the road.

I had test pipes, headers and an HKS exhaust. In the almost 10 years I owned my NSX, and the 100,000+ miles I put on it, I was only stopped once for being too loud, in Harvard, MA on route 111, and that cop just wanted to talk about cars. Told me he had an El Camino (!!) that was even louder.

Or did you mean it was too loud for YOU to listen to on a long ride? If that's the case, just turn up the radio :).

Yes, too loud for ME. LOL...

Sahht I have a tendency to just let a car go and go without going to the gas station. I guess if I am more careful its not an issue.

I drove from MA to Florida then up thru TN and KY on NYE 1999. I was stopped new years day 2000 in KY for 100mph+ with nobody else on the road.

I had test pipes, headers and an HKS exhaust. In the almost 10 years I owned my NSX, and the 100,000+ miles I put on it, I was only stopped once for being too loud, in Harvard, MA on route 111, and that cop just wanted to talk about cars. Told me he had an El Camino (!!) that was even louder.

:).

Claps hands :biggrin:
One day, I will be able to share a story like that. Saw the comedian Carlos Mencia locally and he said you'll remember good and bad things in your life and everything else in between will be a blur. Then proceeded to tell us to go out and make some good memories..........

I share your fantasy about driving the NSX cross country but I wouldn't want it to get stolen. I've driven an Integra R back and forth from Toronto to Florida a few times. It was great!

Insurance my friend, insurance! Cars are for driving, eh? :biggrin:

John how will insurance cover 50K in mods? Insurance covers a bone stock car and not even that... you have to fight to get a low booki value. Essentially for a car I have 115K into, I'll get maybe 55.

My insurance covers my mods without any addtional.

John how will insurance cover 50K in mods? Insurance covers a bone stock car and not even that... you have to fight to get a low booki value. Essentially for a car I have 115K into, I'll get maybe 55.

Why put all that money in a car you are afraid to drive because insurance may not cover it? You have the same risk of an accident driving 20 miles per day close to home as you do driving 3000 miles in the course of a month. You have a greater risk at the track either having a brain fart and spinning into the armco or having the porsche in front of you blow a hose and you are the poor unfortunate bastard who hits the fluids before seeing a yellow flag.

Sorry Dave, but I have to keep going back to my opinion that I just don't understand why people spend so much money on a car that they don't enjoy because:

1. someone may hit you in a parking lot
2. it may get stolen
3. it's raining out
4. I'm saving its "virginity" for the next buyer
5. etc., etc., etc.

Why put all that money in a car you are afraid to drive because insurance may not cover it? You have the same risk of an accident driving 20 miles per day close to home as you do driving 3000 miles in the course of a month. You have a greater risk at the track either having a brain fart and spinning into the armco or having the porsche in front of you blow a hose and you are the poor unfortunate bastard who hits the fluids before seeing a yellow flag.

Sorry Dave, but I have to keep going back to my opinion that I just don't understand why people spend so much money on a car that they don't enjoy because:

1. someone may hit you in a parking lot
2. it may get stolen
3. it's raining out
4. I'm saving its "virginity" for the next buyer
5. etc., etc., etc.

Bob I have all this money into it because I love the car and nothing else really interests me. I drive it plenty, it is not a garage queen, it's seen 4 tracks and obviously if I am on the track with it, I am not "not enjoying it". I drive it on weekends when the weather isn't crap, and if insurance would cover my mods I wouldn't worry about theft either. But they don't. In my state they don't cover squat. So I minimize my risk.

Dave, maybe things have changed, but I know back when I was into IASCA and was driving around with $20K worth of audio gear in my 300ZXTT + hundreds of hours of labor, I was able to get a rider from my insurance company to cover it. I had to provide receipts and take it to them for pictures. While I haven't looked into it in many years, I would think that the same option is still available today in Massachusetts. Perhaps your current insurance company doesn't offer it, but I'm sure there is someone who does.

dc0015m.jpg

Back