• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Driving in the Rain

I see many exotic cars advertised with "has never been driven in the rain". I don't want to appear sacrilegious or offend anyone but can I ask why? What is so bad about driving a car in the rain? They are not going to melt. NSX's are not even going to rust. What am I missing? I want to take care of my 91 NSX, but c'mon, I live in Oregon!! If I don't drive it in the rain, that leaves about 3 months out of the year when I can drive it. Seriously, what is the rationale behind this?

I see many exotic cars advertised with "has never been driven in the rain". I don't want to appear sacrilegious or offend anyone but can I ask why? What is so bad about driving a car in the rain? They are not going to melt. NSX's are not even going to rust. What am I missing? I want to take care of my 91 NSX, but c'mon, I live in Oregon!! If I don't drive it in the rain, that leaves about 3 months out of the year when I can drive it. Seriously, what is the rationale behind this?

I'm going to assume that the NSX does has some parts on it that can rust, like nuts and bolts. My guess is you won't have to deal with rusty hardware if the car was never driven in rain which should be considered a plus. I don't know though could someone who has more mechanical experience with NSXs give some input.

Last edited:
like the other thread said how can one know for sure its never seen rain?

I mean how can anyone prove President Obama did not sit in my NSX last year surrounded by secret service?

and as for things rusting. I have taken my 92 apart and have seen a few bolts with surface rust and thats it. my car has over 120,000 miles and is a daily driver I hit puddles like im tring to prove something.
as for the rotors thats normal for all cars.

but I have seen a total of 4 bolts that had surface rust so I would say thru experience very few so dont worry about it.

drive it and live your life

It's a CARRRRRRRR, last I checked a teen texting while driving or an old man in need of cataract surgery can total your car in a matter of seconds, just drive and enjoy it like mr honda intended on.

I work hard at keeping my NSX clean. I will not take out the car unless it is shinned up and 100% clean. If you drive it in the water I find that mud, sand or any debris from the road finds its way up under the hood and into the engine bay. It drives me nuts! That's what an everyday car is for. The NSX is a "feel good" car that only belongs on a dry, twisty road. Sorry - That's just me.

I work hard at keeping my NSX clean. I will not take out the car unless it is shinned up and 100% clean. If you drive it in the water I find that mud, sand or any debris from the road finds its way up under the hood and into the engine bay. It drives me nuts! That's what an everyday car is for. The NSX is a "feel good" car that only belongs on a dry, twisty road. Sorry - That's just me.

My feelings exactly....I won't drive my car unless its gleaming inside and out. It takes to much effort to keep it that way and then have water spots and grime everywhere. Especially in my engine bay where you could perform heart surgery its so clean under there:wink:.

The only exception was on my way to NSXPO last week...it poured the whole way there...like a monsoon. UGH!

^ ^^

Me too. Mine is spotless under the hood, in the engine compartment, the wheel wells etc. and it takes a lot of time to get it that way. No one who sees the car can beleive that it is 16 years old and always remark how it looks like new.

All my toys (yes it's a toy not a daily driver) are treated the same, I think my neighbors think I'm OCD!!

Luckily we have long hot dry summers in the Okanagan so I don't miss that many driving days.

Hey we're all different and use our cars in different ways, what brings us together here is our common love for the NSX.

Peter

Both statements are correct. The nsx can techically be driving in rain, snow, or other elements just fine as the engineers designed it to withstand the use of daily driving. It will wear and tear or accumulate rust on bolts just like any other car but the severity will vary depending on how well the owner cares for the car and how well the car was designed/built to begin with. The entire "never driven in rain" statements seen in ads are 1) a sales strategy 2) personal choice. Like the opinions above, people simply choose not to expose their pride and joy out in "harsh" elements (especially when they have other cars) for whatever personal reason. I am one of those owners, the nsx is my toy and parts of my enjoyment of ownership is to care for itin an OCD way.:biggrin:

Yes it can be driven in the rain but it is a different beast in the rain, which is one reason I choose not to drive it then. Also the fact that Accords throw water on me when I do is a problem.

The second and real reason that I don't is that like many have said before I am extremely lazy to start the detail process all over again. You could eat off of mine which is how I like it. It is amazing where water can get to and soil. Just like it clean. We have an exotic car dealership here in town and at any given time there are Bentley's, P-Cars, Astons, and every once in a while F-Car out in the elements. It can't be that bad but I don't have that much time to detail, Id rather be driving!

As mentioned above, it's not the rain that scares me, it's the other folks who don't know how to drive in the rain that do. My NSX has been driven in the rain, though not very often. I usually drive the Fit. :smile:

For me, its a case like some other posters above...I spend a lot of time detailing the suspension, undercarriage of engine, hoses, etc....a drive in the rain, or non-paved road messes this up in a hurry, which although probably not damaging to the vehicle, takes a lot of time to get it back to show-car condition. I do try to drive mine only in great weather, with roof off...(dirtiest part of my car tends to be the interior with dust)...

I can truthfully say that I have never been in the rain, nor non paved roads, nor have I ever used the wipers since I have owned it. I am sure my day will come however, as my wife and I are planning our first little getaway in it that is more than a few hours away. We are heading to Minneapolis later this week in it, and the chances of having 5 days of great weather when driving 8 hours each way and sitting in hotel parking lots for them is pretty high. Oh well, it will be put away after we get back for the winter and I can spend all winter detailing it again.

On another note - when travelling 8 hours away, staying in hotels and 8 hours home, what should I take (NSX related please) with me?...booster cables, small toolkit, main relay, can of tire seal, etc?
Car is running great right now, all maintence is current...tires are like new...(and very clean...lol)
Not much room for roadside repair stuff, and I am think my wife will want to do a bit of shopping while in Minni, and Albertville...(yikes!)

Curtis

I think people are also concern with the hard water spots on the underneath of the NSX, exhaust, etc. since it's important to have the bottom of the NSX look spotless in the event that you flip it so insurance adjusters can give you more $$$ for an NSX that has never seen the rain....

Not true. Unlike most cars, almost all the bolts on the NSX are aluminum alloy and will not rust.

True, almost all bolts are aluminum, but that doesnt mean all are. Therefore all it takes is 1 bolt to rust for my statement to stand correct. Thus, one rusty bolt is enough to fireup owners whom are meticulous about their nsx.

How many of these meticulous owners who don't their cars in the rain are as meticulous with the maintanence. I'd rather buy a car that has been driven in the rain over one that hasn't had routine service.

How many of you non-rain drivers have replaced all the hoses on your car?

When it rains, my heart beats harder, i LOVE TO DRIVE IN THE RAIN!!!

How many of these meticulous owners who don't their cars in the rain are as meticulous with the maintanence. I'd rather buy a car that has been driven in the rain over one that hasn't had routine service.

Thats a great question. Ive always wondered the same. Im very proactive when it comes to maintanence such as mentioned above. Then again, just cause a car doesnt see rain doesnt mean its not driven.

this one did.i replaced all 23 hoses about a year ago (and put in a new main relay.)i feel like some of the other guys,don't drive it in the rain bc i want to keep it clean.i know it doesn't hurt it-i wash it with water...

Last edited:
Not true. Unlike most cars, almost all the bolts on the NSX are aluminum alloy and will not rust.
Aren't all the subframe and suspension bolts steel with a special electro-something coating on them to prevent the aluminum to steel chemical reaction?

Exhaust, bolts, head bolts and nuts, oil pan, etc... all are steel. Its a car, so I drive it. Some people baby theirs, others drive it, do as you please but yes its fine and the car won't melt. However salted roads for snow control is probably the worst for your car.

I saw that it was going to rain for a couple days here in Norcal as well, thought about it as I just got my NSX about a week ago, but I'm still driving it rain or shine. :smile:

Back