• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving my new 1995 Midnight Pearl NSX (SoCal to DC)

So last week, I flew out to Los Angeles to go pick up my shiny new-to-me 1995 NSX and drive it back to northern Virginia. Here is the quick story in pictures, or as I was going to subtitle it, "Getting to Know Your NSX in Just Five Days - A Cross Country Crash(less) Course".

The story began by flying into LAX. I got picked up by the seller (an all-around good guy). After some ritual In-N-Out Burger and some chitchat about life back in Hawaii, I had my first introduction to the NSX:
BLF43.jpg

Quick details:
-seller was the second owner
-83.5K miles
-clean CarFax, clean AutoCheck, near-flawless PPI from nearby Acura stealership
-VIN: JH4NA1185ST000671

Unfortunately during the test drive (just my second time driving an NSX ever and definitely my first time over 20mph), the car pinged a CEL :frown: the seller was visibly distraught, especially considering it had just earned excellent marks in a PPI a few days beforehand and I had flown in from literally the other side of the country to pick up the car. The NSX was immediately taken to a local Honda-friendly shop (Dan's Auto Shop in Torrance) and had an O2 sensor replaced. How can one trust a shop with an NSX?

FCOzL.jpg

If the owner drives an NSX himself.

After that was sorted (including an oil change while the car was being worked on) and the transaction was finalized, I drove down to San Diego to visit my folks.

1DPno.jpg

My sister was pretty excited by it.

GYDR4.jpg

We taped off the front of the car to protect it a bit for the long trip ahead. Then I picked up my g/f from the airport and we were on our way back to Virginia.

9GLQW.jpg

Typical driving view for the first two days of the trip.

eW8i6.jpg

One nice thing about being so low and having to look up to every other car on the road is that basically anything can provide shade. This massive econobox blocked the sun for us for nearly an hour across the desert.

UiqbY.jpg

I also very quickly learned that parking faaaaaar away from everyone else in the parking lot did not guarantee that I'd be safe from someone parking right next to me in the middle of the night.

39Ewb.jpg

Eventually we took the tape off because it started to rain and I didn't want soggy tape stuck on the car.

Another thing I learned was that one does not simply drive an NSX into a gas station and not get asked a dozen questions about the car. The typical questions I got (and the answered I started to lean on):
"Is it fast?" I've never gotten up to the speed limit so quickly before!
"How much was it?" I don't want to think about it if I can help it.
"What color is that?" Nighttime answer: it's black. Daytime answer: it's blue. Answer to a lady asking: it's plum/"midnight pearl"/purple.

On the third evening, we got into New Orleans ~ the only 'scheduled' stop on our blast back to the East coast and the bargaining chip I used to convince my g/f to join me on the road. By then, the car was looking kinda disheveled:
83u9b.jpg

But still cool:
4lVll.jpg

We stayed in New Orleans a few hours longer than planned to let a tornado warning blow over. Then we continued on through MS, AL, TN, and VA.

75D8t.jpg

Parked it next to my Legend, nearly 3000 miles later. What a drive!

Over the weekend, I cleaned up the car and had the battery replaced. I went out this morning and took a few more pics:

1e8zu.jpg

DbLPp.jpg

8RclB.jpg

vg2rJ.jpg

And that's it for now! Special thanks to the seller(s) who were honest and up-front as much as they could be during the whole deal. Also a big thank you to LostBuckeye (Ed) for giving me some NSX-buying advice and taking the time to look over another candidate NSX, a thank you to 4cruizn (Tyson) for checking up on me throughout the trip, as well as a thank you to the handful of Primers who kept an eye out for NSXs for me.

I look forward to being a part of this community and taking care of 'Inarra,' my new-to-me 1995 NSX :biggrin:

Last edited:
Great log. Welcome to the Midnight Pearl club! Obviously the best color.

Very excited for you :)

You should have mentioned you were in N.O.! Coulda said hello :smile:

Beautiful car and nice log of your trip. Glad the you and the car made it home safely. Cross-country trips are so awesome.

great story, I love the color it looks so good. is atleast one of your dreams complete?

when the wallet stops puking let the mods begin. LOL

awesome color just plain awesome.

now let me tell you something my about my first NSX I still drive everyday. the first week I had it I 360 taking a corner lucky I didnt hit anything. i thought I was gonna die if my NSX got any damage. lucky me.
the next week I turned Traction Control off so I could burn some rubber and it 360 and I almost hit some cars lucky me I didnt hit anything. I know of a few people that have had their NSX for a few weeks and hit something
similar to my story. lucky for them I fixed everything and they are happy. respect the midengine dont do anything stupid for atleast a year.

how you ask do you know if something it stupid if you think twice about it... it prob stupid.
just some thing I have learned and a few others the hard way.

nothing feels worse than loading pics of an NSx on NSXPRIME with damage.

congrats on the NSX welcome to supercar status.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing it around as you appear to be very close to me based on the photos. I recognize the patent office there, are you an examiner or was it just a nice photo spot?

great story, I love the color it looks so good. is atleast one of your dreams complete?

I'm thrilled with it! Is it one my 'dreams'? Well, I did get to cross a few things off of my bucket list!

how you ask do you know if something it stupid if you think twice about it... it prob stupid.
just some thing I have learned and a few others the hard way.

nothing feels worse than loading pics of an NSx on NSXPRIME with damage.

Great advice! I plan to avoid as much stupid thinking as possible!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! I look forward to seeing it around as you appear to be very close to me based on the photos. I recognize the patent office there, are you an examiner or was it just a nice photo spot?

Just a nice photo spot down the street! While there though, this guy who works in the Patent Office came up in his Z32 to ask about it.

9xB4Nh.jpg

I remember always thinking that 300ZXs looked crazy low... but next to an NSX they're huge!

best of luck..you are right that color is for a very discearning few:wink: btw how was your sister with you in Cali but you drove back with your gf:confused:

You've definitely got yourself a keeper there, I bet it looks amazing in the sun! Nice wheels too, what kind are they?

You did it right by driving home.

No better way to learn about your car in a short time.

Congratulations!

Thanks for the great writeup - these are always such great stories! You will remember this purchase and adventure traveling across country for the rest of your life.
Great looking NSX -- and always happy to see another one in Virginia! Cheers, and congrats on the purchase - know you are still grinnin :smile: Jay

best of luck..you are right that color is for a very discearning few:wink: btw how was your sister with you in Cali but you drove back with your gf:confused:

My sister lives with my folks in San Diego. My g/f and I live in Virginia just outside DC ~ she couldn't fly out with me to Los Angeles because she was busy trying to save America (fiscal cliff is keeping Capitol Hill staff busy, etc.) so I flew out first to pick up the car, then picked her up at the airport in San Diego the day after so she could join me for the drive back. It sounds very confusing but logistically it made sense!

- - - Updated - - -

You've definitely got yourself a keeper there, I bet it looks amazing in the sun! Nice wheels too, what kind are they?

These are Racing Hart C2s. I've been warned by other NSX owners that they apparently scratch easily :frown: I park like a yard from curbs LOL

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this! Really enjoyed reading :)
Beautiful car, congrats on your purchase!

Great looking car. Love the color. Welcome to the ownership. Any plans to change out the wheels?

That was the color I was looking for when I was shopping, but nothing on east coast showed up for probably 6 months. I saw too many red, almost picked one up, then thought i cant go wrong w/ black :p. Gonna paint it anyway when the time comes (read: $$$$)

I'm in Southern MD. We're about 1hr from each other. We'll have to hook up some time. I know that bldg w/ the xmas tree... just cant remember the name.

Great post
Nice car

I just grabbed a red 95 from Virginia last month and drove back to michigan

My gas station experiences were the same as yours

Good for you!!!

Congrats, the car looks great! Did you find the NSX comfortable for the long ride? I am planning a round trip cross country road trip in mine come April. I cannot wait to hit the open road!

Great looking car. Love the color. Welcome to the ownership. Any plans to change out the wheels?

Thanks! No plans to change out the wheels at this time ~ I really like them and may have ended up buying a set like these anyways! I do however have the factory wheels as well so I may put another set of tires on there which I can use when the weather goes bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats, the car looks great! Did you find the NSX comfortable for the long ride? I am planning a round trip cross country road trip in mine come April. I cannot wait to hit the open road!

Honestly we had to stop every two or three hours because it just got uncomfortable. Initially the car feels great to sit in, but after about an hour of being in these sunken, supportive seats we started to get antsy. We typically stopped every half tank just to top off and have an excuse to get out of the car and stretch. Cruise control helps a lot, as does wearing shorts/open-toe footwear/etc. Maybe we were just being babies because we typically do our long road trips in the nice comfy Legend sedan, but I think over time we'll get used to road trips in the NSX as well.

my first drive in my NSX was about 500 miles the first day.. and 250 the second day... 500 is too far IMHO.... but my daily driver is a chrysler mini van that my old body and just fall into and out of!!!

500 miles is a LOOOOOONG way in an NSX... I doubt I'd ever take it on a trip like that again. as a "first ride home" .. wonderful memory... as something you have a choice in.... pile me and too much stuff in the mini van!!!

I drove from Denver to tampa in less than 2 days non-stop only pulled over for gas and pee breaks

sunrise to sunrise talk about tired

NSX has the best seats

Last edited:
a thank you to 4cruizn (Tyson) for checking up on me throughout the trip
Checking in with you frequently was the next-best thing I could do, aside from physically being there in the passenger seat! What a great ride. Glad you're safe and sound and thanks for sharing the photos with the rest of us. Inarra is absolutely stunning. Hope to see you at an NSXPO in the near future, Fred. Once again, congratulations on the acquisition and welcome to the family!

I am pretty surprised to hear that you found the car that uncomfortable. Then I realized you have larger wheels and what appears to be lower and I'm sure stiffer suspension. What suspension is on the car? I am planning to roll on stock suspension and wheels for such a long trip.
- - - Updated - - -
Honestly we had to stop every two or three hours because it just got uncomfortable. Initially the car feels great to sit in, but after about an hour of being in these sunken, supportive seats we started to get antsy. We typically stopped every half tank just to top off and have an excuse to get out of the car and stretch. Cruise control helps a lot, as does wearing shorts/open-toe footwear/etc. Maybe we were just being babies because we typically do our long road trips in the nice comfy Legend sedan, but I think over time we'll get used to road trips in the NSX as well.

Back