• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving my new 1995 Midnight Pearl NSX (SoCal to DC)

I am pretty surprised to hear that you found the car that uncomfortable. Then I realized you have larger wheels and what appears to be lower and I'm sure stiffer suspension. What suspension is on the car? I am planning to roll on stock suspension and wheels for such a long trip.

That may have something to do with it, yeah. The wheels are 17/18 and the suspension is Eibach springs over Bilstein shocks. I think the ride is about comparable to my Legend (it is between my medium and hard settings) though. I think there is also significantly less space in the NSX in general: I can't move my feet about in the wheel well (the dead pedal is tiny and it's hard to stretch against, for example) and my g/f can't lean her seat waaaay back and sleep.

I mean, these were expected issues when I purchased the car and I'm not coming in here complaining like the NSX is unsuitable for road trips. It is just a very different type of car from anything I've ever previously taken on long trips and it'll be something we have to adjust to.

my g/f can't lean her seat waaaay back and sleep.

No one wants to come on road trips with me in my car (girlfriend, siblings, you name it) for this exact reason.

I'm always like... you're in an NSX! How can you want to sleep??

Congrats! Beautiful car, the only thing I would change is to add a chin spoiler.

I drove my 99NSX with aftermarket JIC suspension on a couple of long road trips where I only stopped for gas, and it was the most comfortable car I've done long drives in.

It's been a couple of weeks since I've driven my NSX out of town, time to do it again soon! :D

Last edited:
Congrats! Beautiful car, the only thing I would change is to add a chin spoiler.

I drove my 99NSX with aftermarket JIC suspension on a couple of long road trips where I only stopped for gas, and it was the most comfortable car I've done long drives in.

It's been a couple of weeks since I've driven my NSX out of town, time to do it again soon! :D

Thanks =) I wanted to put the chin spoiler back on but it felt like I would just scrape it against everything. I checked my angles of approach coming into the structure where I typically park the car and it is definitely a very tight margin of error. Probably when I drive the car more daily and I can keep it on the first floor without ramps, I will put the chin spoiler back on.

- - - Updated - - -

congrat.. What part of VA? Grew up in fairfax and now in CA

I'm in Alexandria but work in Chantilly. You're kinda the reverse of me; before VA I spent some time in SoCal.

Fred! Congrats on the purchase!!! Great log about your trip as well. Beautiful color too!

-Matt

P.S. I may have a good 5 speed for your legend if this deal falls through.

Congratulations on such a good buy. It's 100 times better than the one you asked about here. Don't let that be the only long trip you take in the car. These cars love to be driven for long stretches and as you have found out, you never get tired driving it. Happy Holidays.

Daymmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that color is sexy, my sister lives near you in loudan county so expect a visitor soon, I need to see this color up close for sure. Congrats and thanks for the read.

I was just telling my five year old that they made a purple NSX (purple is his favorite color). They really look sharp. Great write up by the way. I found my NSX seats to be the best I've ever sat in. I drove mine from Indiana to New York in one day. Enjoy.

Congratulations! Car looks really nice. Midnight Pearl is such a unique color. Wish you had posted in the So Cal section when you were in San Diego. I would have loved to see your car in person before you headed back east.

"Wow. Small world. I used to work at Pohanka acura"

Just saw this - small world indeed - I grew up in SoCal (Palos Verdes) and moved with family to Alexandria (Mt. Vernon area) - actually bought a car from Pohanka Olds one time. Now living in
the southeastern part of VA (Virginia Beach area). I miss the nice year-round climate of SoCal, but don't miss the traffic up in NoVA! Jay

"Wow. Small world. I used to work at Pohanka acura"

Just saw this - small world indeed - I grew up in SoCal (Palos Verdes) and moved with family to Alexandria (Mt. Vernon area) - actually bought a car from Pohanka Olds one time. Now living in
the southeastern part of VA (Virginia Beach area). I miss the nice year-round climate of SoCal, but don't miss the traffic up in NoVA! Jay

Traffic here in North Cal is worst compared to NoVa! I would move back in a heart beat if i can. :) Drivers here are not as well behave compare to VA

Used to live in McLean. The traffic sucked but the drivers weren't blind and clueless like here in Shreveport.

I'm exaggerating of course.

Congrats on the NSX, Midnight Pearl is a great color and very rare! It looks like you got a nice, clean car. Make sure to follow the maintenence and it will never let you down. Also, since you are new to NSX, watch the rear tread depth like a hawk. Do NOT wait to replace the tires until they are bald. In a rainstorm, this car will snap around on you with little to no warning if the rears have no tread. I have seen many new NSX owners make this mistake and jack up their rides. My own opinion, get rid of those wheels. The OEM look so much better on a NSX, plus the car will feel faster.

Congrats on the NSX, Midnight Pearl is a great color and very rare! It looks like you got a nice, clean car. Make sure to follow the maintenence and it will never let you down. Also, since you are new to NSX, watch the rear tread depth like a hawk. Do NOT wait to replace the tires until they are bald. In a rainstorm, this car will snap around on you with little to no warning if the rears have no tread. I have seen many new NSX owners make this mistake and jack up their rides. My own opinion, get rid of those wheels. The OEM look so much better on a NSX, plus the car will feel faster.

Thanks, I am definitely watching the rear wheels carefully and have been feeling the inside rear tread periodically. Not perfect but I can feel a clear difference between inside and outer tire wear already. I do have the OEM wheels (they are currently all boxed up still, from shipping) and I plan on using those as an extra set.

I wouldn't replace your wheels if I were you. Honcho is just lurking so that when you put them up for sale, he can buy them!

Nice story about your road trip. You did the right thing about including pictures too. Take care of the maintenance and go drive that car. It loves it and you will too. It never gets old. Congratulations.

Hey brah..congratulations
I am sure your will love the car but more than anything else you will like the people on this board...everyone is helpful and mature..rarely do you see profanity or ignorance.

Zaid

Congrats on your purchase! Looks like a really clean example of Midnight Pearl. Beautiful car...good work on finding it.

I can see why the GF would complain about not being able to recline and pass out. BUT, for me at least, not having cruise control is a killer for my knee, and I was able to drive mine from Phoenix to Missouri without it. I was really surprised that the seating position was just perfect for that, but either way, back to you...I'm sure you will have a lot of great memories from the trip back that will last you a lifetime.

Enjoy your beautiful new-to-you NSX. She's a real catch!

Very nice car. I just picked one up almost identical (same year and color) to it but it has some pretty badly damaged wheels that seem pretty small. My car seems to sit higher also. I'm wondering what size wheels those are and if it's been lowered. Thx.

Back