• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DSLR recommendations

Buy the Canon only because if you are ever at an ALMS event and Bob is there you get to use his "L" lens. The only problem is that he barter's with you and you have to let him hang halfway out your window so he can take pictures. I tried to dump him out on one of lefthander's at Sebring, but he had his kung-fu grip on pretty tight. :biggrin:

Hey, I resemble that remark.......

Sebring 2007
332029745_T6xdL-L-1.jpg

Lime Rock 2007
332029726_eWWtd-X2.jpg

Laguna Seca 2007
332029722_gmRtb-X3.jpg

Sebring 2008
332029718_toQXc-X2.jpg

Last edited:
haha. those pictures are great.

to the op nsxsupra:

from what i read on dpreview when i was selecting between the d40 and the rebel xt, i learned that with the kit lenses, the d40 was slightly better in terms of color and competition (not by much though). however, when pairing it with comparable upgraded lenses, the canon xt was able to produce noticeably better results.

when considering the canon xsi or the xti, i think both of these will be better if the price is right...but i haven't studied either of these enough. i was thinking of personally upgrading to a nikon d80 when i can afford to, as it seems like the next logical step, but still haven't researched it either.

whichever direction you take, you will learn alot and will have a great time doing it, as i have. now, if i had an nsx as photo-worthy as yours, i would probably be taking pictures of it all day long.

In the August issue of Popular Photography magazine they did a comparison test on five midlevel DSLR's under the price of $900 including a lens. Check out the issue for the winner. :wink: It is a very informative test and may help you to decide on which is the best camera for you besides the one that won.

I just bought a Nikon D40 kit with Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II lens. I got it at the Base Exchange for $449. I really wanted something like the Canon Rebel T1i, but this being my first DSLR, I couldn't justify paying more for a camera. I heard this is a good beginner's camera, and I can't wait to start learning how to use it. All this talk about HDR photos got me interested, and I needed a camera since I dropped my last Point and Shoot. Couple hundred more is definitely worth it. Now to charge the battery and read the manual.

I thought about getting an SLR to take better pictures but I knew size would be a factor. Not to mention the cost of lenses.

What I ended up doing is getting a Panasonic LX3. It has a larger than average P&S sensor, manual controls, 24mm wide angle, f2.0... It's rebadged and sold for a few hundred more as the Leica D-Lux 4.

The pictures it can shoot are stunning. Macro mode is incredible. Low light sensitivity is excellent. It makes shooting great shots easy...

I am horrible with cameras and it makes me look good. Here are some shots I took this weekend.

3495636335_d2d90756bc.jpg
3496465890_8090af4a46.jpg
3496361598_7ba80d7af4.jpg

Here is some low light I took at Yamashiro. This was before I learned how to use P-mode and I got the ISO up a bit too high but it shows you what this camera can do in low light. I hate using flash and these pictures are flash-less.

3485959079_f24dcc8758.jpg
3486756136_4b59532c9c.jpg

3485995981_248082be83.jpg

Last edited:
I recently picked up the Canon 40d (NOT to be confused with the nikon d40). Love it so far. Only problem I've had is getting it to auto focus in very low light situations. Not sure if that's a regular problem with dslr camera in general but it's the only minus I've come across since picking it up in february. I've taken ~5000 pictures in 3+ months lol

Love my canon though so far. Now it's time to collect lenses. :) Spending REAL money on a camera is hard to do because it's really NOT cheap @ ~$1500 for a good one. But you know the moment you start taking those pictures and learning how to properly use the features and functions..... you won't regret it. Worth every penny.

I sourced a Canon XSi and my wife bought it for me for Christmas. It's a great little camera and I love it. I do think I'll move up to a 40D/50D fairly quickly though, since I want the extra burst speed when shooting RAW.

Most important thing to know is that LENSES make great pictures, not camera bodies. Put a Canon L lens on a Rebel XT (ie, basic starter DSLR that's a few years old) and you'll get fantastic photos with amazing image quality and clarity. The same can't be said for putting a cheap lens on a 50D or 5D. Glass (lenses) are the key element, not massive pixel counts and cool sensors.

I've bought two prime (non-zoom) lenses in the past three months and am always looking for more. They make a huge improvement over the kit lens that came with the camera, especially in low light conditions.

I recently picked up the Canon 40d (NOT to be confused with the nikon d40). Love it so far. Only problem I've had is getting it to auto focus in very low light situations. Not sure if that's a regular problem with dslr camera in general but it's the only minus I've come across since picking it up in february. I've taken ~5000 pictures in 3+ months lol

I have the 40D as well. I've noticed the slow AF issue, but only with certain glass, and the longer the length, the slower the focus it seems.

Just picked up the Nikon D60 the other weekend with a 55-200mm lens. So far the picture clarity is unmatched compared to my Fuji point and shoot. I really need to learn the basics of DSLR shooting. If anyone has any good links for places to start and learn, that would be much appreciated.

I just started shooting away without really going into depth in the manual, and I'm already amazed how good photos look with the D40. This was with no flash, I didn't even bother looking at the settings. I need to buy a tripod, will get one later this week.

3502678437_3fbd875805_o.jpg

I have the 40D as well. I've noticed the slow AF issue, but only with certain glass, and the longer the length, the slower the focus it seems.

I got my kit from Adorama. It came with a pretty nice 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM. It's my only lens so far. Plan on collecting more later this year or next.

Another 40d owner here. Sold the kit lens, picked up these:

EF 50 f/1.8
EFS 10-22 f/3.5
EF 24-70 f/2.8 L

Love the cam, I think it's a good beginners DSLR. I will probably upgrade to a full frame in a few years.

What was your kit lens? That's not a bad idea, sell my kit lens since it's not bad and still worth a few hundred. Plunk it down on new glass.

I definitely want a nifty fifty. Just gotta stop being cheap and buy it.

I know that it'll more than likely be my next lens. Afterwards, I am seriously considering either the 70-200 L or 100-400 L. I like the price of the 70-200 F/4 but dang it that F/2.8 IS is just too dang nice but the price is scary in comparison.

Last edited:
I sold he kit lens which was the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I liked the IS, but wanted a faster lens. The nifty is a no brainer, it's an awesome lens and only about $70. The lens' I have right now are perfect for my purposes (mostly doing car shoots). Only L Lens for me in the future. :)

What was your kit lens? That's not a bad idea, sell my kit lens since it's not bad and still worth a few hundred. Plunk it down on new glass.

I definitely want a nifty fifty. Just gotta stop being cheap and buy it.

I know that it'll more than likely be my next lens. Afterwards, I am seriously considering either the 70-200 L or 100-400 L. I like the price of the 70-200 F/4 but dang it that F/2.8 IS is just too dang nice but the price is scary in comparison.

The counter for file names on my D40 rolled over to 0000 this past weekend, meaning I have taken 10,000 pictures since I got it in Dec 07. I still like it quite a lot, it's a very good camera.

I really can't see you going very wrong with the D40. Or you can have the exact same setup that I use: a used Nikon D200 with the Nikon 18-70mm kit lens. (around $700 total)

Proof that you don't need expensive gear to make a nice picture.
And Youtube is also pretty helpful for photoshopping tips.

I really can't see you going very wrong with the D40. Or you can have the exact same setup that I use: a used Nikon D200 with the Nikon 18-70mm kit lens. (around $700 total)

Proof that you don't need expensive gear to make a nice picture.
And Youtube is also pretty helpful for photoshopping tips.

Guess my next purchase will be a new lens. :smile:

Back