• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Eibach Pro Springs - Bilstein or Koni

I have Eibach Pro Springs on OE shocks now.
I'm happy with the ride height but I don't like the bottoming out on the SF streets. Will changing to Bilstein HD or Koni fix this problem?

And if I use Billsteins will have to use the upper perch with the Eibach Pro springs?

I have read that the koni shocks are better but may not last as long as the Bilstein. I not really interested in adjustability, just to stop the bottoming.

Also if anyone knows a great source/deal for the shocks, please chime in :smile:

TIA
Rich Wong

no rub just suspension bottoming/banging, and only only on bad roads, metal plates for road construction, etc

Do you bottom out or rub the fender liners, or both?

When I had the Eibachs/Bilsteins, I would rub the fender liner on larger dips/driveways.

what do you have now?

I am on OEM springs/Bilsteins at lower perch. I like this setup better - however, it does not look as good (very minor difference).

Did you have the eibachs on the upper perch?

I had Eibachs/Bilsteins on the UPPER perch. On the lower perch it's too low for most roads. Actually, I don't like the Eibachs as they're too soft. Today I'd go with OEM springs and Bilsteins lower perch.

I'm running an Eibach/Koni setup and so far it's been great. Although I may switch to coilovers sooner or later. My car came like that so I don't know where to get any deals for them, sorry.

Last edited:
rubbing tires on compression is a mix of spring rates/shock damping and tire size...what tire size do you run,and wheel offset? are the springs standard eibachs or do the pros have a higher rate?

rubbing tires on compression is a mix of spring rates/shock damping and tire size...what tire size do you run,and wheel offset? are the springs standard eibachs or do the pros have a higher rate?

no tire rubbing just suspension bottoming/banging, and only only on bad roads, metal plates for road construction, etc.

I'm running eibach pro springs

no tire rubbing just suspension bottoming/banging, and only only on bad roads, metal plates for road construction, etc.

I'm running eibach pro springs

Interresting,I'm surprised you could run out of spring compression before hitting the tire on something.:confused:

Interresting,I'm surprised you could run out of spring compression before hitting the tire on something.:confused:

maybe it is 'something', but it's not tire.:eek:

I'm running an Eibach/Koni setup and so far I'm very happy with my setup with No rubbing issues.

maybe it is 'something', but it's not tire.:eek:

could it be sway bar on the old battery tray deal? bTW what tire/wheel combo do you have?

I had Eibachs/Bilsteins on the UPPER perch. On the lower perch it's too low for most roads. Actually, I don't like the Eibachs as they're too soft. Today I'd go with OEM springs and Bilsteins lower perch.

+1. OEM/Bilstiens on lower perch. The way Honda should've done it. The only thing I've slightly scraped is my DF rear diff. {big one}.

could it be sway bar on the old battery tray deal? bTW what tire/wheel combo do you have?

Work Termist TS-1 18/8 +38, 19/10 +45
Toyo Proxies T1-R 225/35/18, 275/30/19

All I can say from my limited experience is that I'm glad I got rid of my Eibachs - they were not progressive - and hence hard as a rock! I'm sure that ride messed up my rack. That's the only reason I can come up with for having had to replace it when I bought the car with 43k on it.

My shocks were blown - was it the Eibachs?...who knows cause after all they were 19 years old. Since then I put 05 shocks and springs on - I should have kept my old OEM springs cause the car sits higher now by about at least 1/2" or more. Now I have new bilstiens and Swift sport springs waiting to be installed. I just drove my buddies NSX with Swifts and I love the ride.

The ride height thing is a personal taste issue - but to me that super "slammed" look makes the car look too heavy. The Swifts are a good comprimise. The other thing is - you must either live in a very flat area or scrape all the time cause that super low ride has got to be trouble. The short while I had the Eibachs and "slammed" ride height - it was really tough not to scrape. When I put on my new set up in the spring I'll report back, but right now my suspension feels fine it's just way too high. My 2 cents worth...

Hope you get it worked out the way you want it.

Last edited:

your ride is certainly agressive and your wheel well tolerances are tight,but how long after you did the mods did the noise start?

Front tire should be 215/35/18. Note that your 225 is both wider AND taller than the 215.

Here's the difference:

225/35/18 on a 18x8:
NSX_Wheels_offset_shots_225.jpg

215/35/18 on a 18x8:
NSX_Wheels_offset_shots_215.jpg

Not exactly sure what you're experiencing. I have the Eibachs with Bilsteins on Upper perch and only have rubbing issues (tire to outside fender liner). Ride is good overall, but not great. I did prefer the factory springs with the Bilsteins on the lower perch on my 1991, but it wasn't low enough in terms of looks.

How old are you OEM struts??

All I can say from my limited experience is that I'm glad I got rid of my Eibachs - they were not progressive - and hence hard as a rock! I'm sure that ride messed up my rack. That's the only reason I can come up with for having had to replace it when I bought the car with 43k on it.

My shocks were blown - was it the Eibachs?...who knows cause after all they were 19 years old. Since then I put 05 shocks and springs on - I should have kept my old OEM springs cause the car sits higher now by about at least 1/2" or more. Now I have new bilstiens and Swift sport springs waiting to be installed. I just drove my buddies NSX with Swifts and I love the ride.

The Eibach Pro Kit for the NSX is a progressive rate spring and I would classify the ride more as "softer" than stock in the initial few inches of travel with the Bilstein struts. What I think you were experiencing was the blown stock shocks causing the car to sag into the higher spring rate area giving you that "hard as a rock" feel. . but it's hard to tell without actually riding in it.
Lastly, the 1995-2005 NSX-T suspension is softer than the 1991-1994 suspension and made for the extra weight of the NSX-T.

Happa,

You're right about one thing - my shocks were totally dead - and one was what I would call blown - they worked but not well - no rebound. The Eibachs I had I don't believe were progressive like the Swifts I've recently bought.

The 05 shocks and springs work on the car but if I was doing it all over -I'd use the later shocks but with the OEM 91 springs. The set up I have with the 05s well they're overall firmer feeling than my OEM 91s but again my shocks were blown. So I have no real good comparo. I did ride in a 94 - drove a 94 with Swifts and OEM shocks original to the car and it felt great - just right to me. I don't like a really super stiff ride - I do all my driving on the street. Would like to do the track thing once just to experience it (and then I'll probably want to do it more) but you gotta make time to do all that and I have a lot of things I like to do other than track.

I'll be putting the bilsteins on the standard perch with the Swifts. I like the feel of the Conti DW too - it's a great tire and doesn't have as much noise as the Michelin Pilot Sports but they no longer make a Pilot Sport for my 16/17 set up. I was told that the Exalto Michelins were a good substitute for the DWs. That they may last longer and be less noisy - I'd love to try em but I think I'll stick with DWs they're cheaper and a little stickier.

your ride is certainly agressive and your wheel well tolerances are tight,but how long after you did the mods did the noise start?

the noise only happens when I hit a uneven part of the road at speed (aren't all our roads glass smooth - ROTFL ) and it started the day I installed the Eibachs. My current OE shocks have just over 10K on them and they aren't blown.

Front tire should be 215/35/18. Note that your 225 is both wider AND taller than the 215.
Here's the difference:
Thanks for the effort to point out the difference due to tire size, but I went with the 225's because I'm not a huge fan of the stretched look.

Also your angle for you pics exaggerates the 225's, you must be at least 2.5 feet closer :smile: Mr. 'O' rings

Last edited:
your front tires are 6/10's larger in diameter than 215/45/16 I just think that with your combo of ride height and tire size you are doomed to have this interference issue.

the noise only happens when I hit a uneven part of the road at speed (aren't all our roads glass smooth - ROTFL ) and it started the day I installed the Eibachs. My current OE shocks have just over 10K on them and they aren't blown.

Thanks for the effort to point out the difference due to tire size, but I went with the 225's because I'm not a huge fan of the stretched look.

Also your angle for you pics exaggerates the 225's, you must be at least 2.5 feet closer :smile: Mr. 'O' rings

Sorry, the picture isn't mine. I took it from another member that was having rubbing issues with their 225s. I recommended the 215 because they were thinner and shorter in overall height and he posted the picture newer picture (of the 215).

As for the noise, it sounds like it might be the front sway bar as DocJohn previously mentioned. .

Who's Mr. 'O' rings?

Last edited:
Who's Mr. 'O' rings?

You and your old work Termist wheels, I believe you had some extreme outer rings on your 2 piece rims :biggrin:

As for the noise, it sounds like it might be the front sway bar as DocJohn previously mentioned

I think I just gotta get it up on a lift and check it out.

And to everyone else on the tire size issue...Its a METALIC bang not a tire RUBBING - not hard to tell the difference. I'M not 99 with a hearing aid !!

Last edited:
my car bottom out bad when I hit bump or on bad road with eibach springs on stock oem struts. After intalled bilstein everything nice and smooth.

Back