• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Stalled while cruising

Hello guys...

It's been a while i haven't posted in NSX Prime..

anyway, i had a little problem with my NSX (1991), Automatic with 90,000 km of mileage... as i was driving/cruising for almost 10 miles, all the warning lights on the dash turned on.. Yes, that includes CEL, ABS, TCS and all the lights.. and within a second, i loss power and the engine stalled/died... :frown:

I stopped the car and put into "P" (automatic NSX).. waited for 10 minutes and started the car perfectly.. then started to drive like normal, with no high revs... :redface:

then about less than 2 miles, the warning lights turned on again... Loss power and engine died.. stopped the car and restarted the engine...

this repeated again after 2-3 miles until i reached home... Even when i stopped at traffic lights, the engine stalled... I even have complications on starting the engine after it died... :frown:

A week later, i sent the car to workshop and No CEL error code was found... the mechanic tested the car and it didn't stall at all.. But few weeks later, the car started to have the same problem... engine stalled/died while cruising and at traffic lights..

Now the car is at the workshop to change the Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter and Fuel Relay... maybe they have been served so long on the car since 1991... i wanted them to be replaced as i have searched and read couple of same incidents on NSXPrime...

Would you think i might get the engine stalled again? :confused: If yes, what would you suggest the problem could be?

Please help...

Cherio..

Your ignition switch has probably gone south.

A customer of mine reported similar problems and a no-start condition. The car would fire, but then promptly stall.

Replaced the switch(50 min job for an amateur?), and the car is 100%.

Cody,

Thanks for the reply, mate... I have replaced the ignition switch last year..

now, the problem starts to happen after i have driven more than 10 miles.. and the engine temperature gauge is at normal... :frown:

btw, i will take a look on the ignition switch again... Thanks Cody!

Cherio...

Main Relay ?

These seem to be the main issues with the early model car Ignition switch and main relay

Heyya NSX Pilot,

Main Relay... is there any method to check whether the Main Relay is working perfectly or not?

but why the engine gets stalled after 2-3 weeks it has been ok?

by the way, would Main Relay be expensive?

i'll tell my mechanic to check on it...

Thanks Acura NSX Pilot! :smile:

I would say main relay, or fuel relay, I had the same problem, car would start and I could rev it but then would die. I could start the car rev it up to 6-7 then it would die. my alpine alarm fried the Main relay, and fuel relay, and my ignition switch they replaced anyway, was $150 in parts and 700 in labor.. I could have fixed it myself and saved 700 bucks, those parts are cheap and before you spend all that money replaces the cheap stuff first. if it still doesnt start then take it in.

I would say main relay, or fuel relay, I had the same problem, car would start and I could rev it but then would die. I could start the car rev it up to 6-7 then it would die. my alpine alarm fried the Main relay, and fuel relay, and my ignition switch they replaced anyway, was $150 in parts and 700 in labor.. I could have fixed it myself and saved 700 bucks, those parts are cheap and before you spend all that money replaces the cheap stuff first. if it still doesnt start then take it in.

Hello Shawn110975,

i'm glad you had the same problem before... well, i have replaced the Fuel Relay recently and Ignition Switch (last year)... Now i could narrow down the problem...

Now, I'm thinking to replace the Main Relay too as suggested by you and NSX Pilot..

I hope by replacing them, i could gain my confidence on driving the nsx in town again without any problem... :wink:

Cherio!

I have the same year car as you. The main relay can be easily resoldered and thus repaired. This is a known problem on these cars and should be looked at. If you take a magnifying glass (you can't see the cracks with the naked eye) you can see that the large rectangular solder joints are cracked. Resolder them (all of them) and your good to go.
Happy Motoring!

I was just gonna say that. I took mine out and did the resoilder trick I dont know if that was the issue but after that I took it to the dealship and I am sure they replaced it. but when I opened up the main relay box it was burned.. its behind the drivers seat near the rear glass

You are right, It was just a general area to look once you remove that back Panel, you cant miss it. but its easy to replace and saves you tons of money if you do it your-self.

Hello guys...

Thanks for helping me.. tomorrow i will collect the NSX from the mechanic.. i haven't bought the Main Relay yet.. as i read few suggestions, the Main Relay can be fixed by soldering few solder joints... if its condition is bad, i can simply but another set of Main Relay...

by the way, i really wanna narrow down the problems and have few solutions in hand.. if it gives me the same problem (engine stalled), then i will know Main Relay could be the culprit...

As Briank suggested, it could also be the Fuel Pump Resistor although it's a very rare case..

i really appreciate your inputs, guys... Thanks!!!!! :cool:

Cherio!

Back