• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ethanol to power cars, sponsor race in Iowa

Ethanol to power cars, sponsor race in Iowa

By Associated Press
August 17, 2006

Corn-based ethanol will power Indy cars when they race next year at the new Iowa Speedway, and an Iowa corn promotions group will help finance one of the speedway's biggest races, track officials said this week.

Former NASCAR champion Rusty Wallace and Indy Racing League driver Jeff Simmons were at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines on Tuesday to announce that the Iowa Corn Promotions Board will sponsor the Iowa Corn Indy 250 on June 24.

"It makes so much sense to have these race cars running on ethanol, a fuel that we don't have to go overseas to get, a fuel that is better for the environment and a fuel that makes some big-time horsepower," Wallace said. "It's really great for racing, for Iowa Speedway, and for the many folks here in Iowa who make their living growing corn."

The Indy Racing League announced early this month that IndyCar and Indy Pro Series races will be held at the new 7/8-mile track in Newton next June. The track was designed by Wallace and features gradually banked turns.

The IndyCar Series used a 10 percent ethanol blend this year in its cars and plans to run on 100 percent ethanol next year. Wallace predicted other racing associations will likely follow the Indy series in using ethanol.

"It's something that I think that all the racing series around the country will start catching on to," he said. "When you think about it, you really sit back and go, 'Why doesn't everybody run on it?'"

"Next year running 100 percent ethanol, I think is going to give us that chance to really show the performance aspects of it in a real exciting way to all of the fans here," Simmons said.

The Ethanol Promotion and Information Council is a primary sponsor for Simmons' car.

The inaugural Indy race at the banked oval track in Newton _ about 25 miles east of Des Moines _ will be televised on ABC.

I found this part of Rusty's statment interesting:

"a fuel that makes some big-time horsepower,"

I know it is great for the environment and I know you do not get as much mileage out of it, but I had no idea it made bigtime horsepower.

docmarmo said:
I know it is great for the environment and I know you do not get as much mileage out of it, but I had no idea it made bigtime horsepower.

Well the experimental Exige 265E uses 85% Ethanol 15% conventional fuel. That results in 21% more hp and 16% more nm. Only difference to the Exige S, the fuel.

Back