• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Exploded" a shaft at the track

This is what happened after ~ 6000 track miles with slick tires on my NSX. I first thought the noise came from the wheel bearing which would not have been a surprise considering the increased forces on them with the slick tires. As the wheel had no play, I pointed toward the shaft but thought it would be ok for the end of the trackday. But at the following session, I ended with no more traction at the exit of a curve :eek: As you see, it went so bad in the inside elbow of the right shaft that the mechanism body slided outward, out of the central shaft. I ordered Insane shafts as replacement. I hope they work great.

shaft_01.jpg

shaft_02.jpg

Yes. It is everywhere in my motor. But it is possible I did not see a burst or leaking rubber before the shaft got damaged.

Theres not a hint of grease in that shaft.
it looks so dry like there hasnt been grease in there for years, I have had a boot blow apart on the Dyno and grease flew everywhere it was all over the engine and the Dyno room but there was still grease in the boot area

it looks so dry like there hasnt been grease in there for years, I have had a boot blow apart on the Dyno and grease flew everywhere it was all over the engine and the Dyno room but there was still grease in the boot area

Agreed.

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that the boot was replaced at some point. The clamp is not an original clamp, it is the double wrap band that comes with the new boot kit.

Agree with the fact is does look very dry inside the joint though. Maybe leaking for a while proir to this failure.

Also MAKE SURE you replace your coolant hoses, especially the ones by the oil cooler, and the major top ones under the coolant bottle. Had one car burst one at Watkins Glen last week. Not fun..... Owner got really lucky in the fact he actually noticed his water temp gauge go up! Saved his engine. Typically when I see this failure I am rebuilding an engine:(

My $.02

LarryB

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that the boot was replaced at some point. The clamp is not an original clamp, it is the double wrap band that comes with the new boot kit.

Agree with the fact is does look very dry inside the joint though. Maybe leaking for a while proir to this failure.

Also MAKE SURE you replace your coolant hoses, especially the ones by the oil cooler, and the major top ones under the coolant bottle. Had one car burst one at Watkins Glen last week. Not fun..... Owner got really lucky in the fact he actually noticed his water temp gauge go up! Saved his engine. Typically when I see this failure I am rebuilding an engine:(

My $.02

LarryB

I don't suppose theres a parts list just for all the hoses in the engine bay. Mine were all replace back in Aug/06.

Edit:
Never mind, I just found them in my records. Damn thats alot of hoses.:frown:

Last edited:
I think so. The rubber may have leaked for a while. I changed all the hoses with the last timing belt change. I am good for some years.

I also checked the left inner joint because of a spit of grease on the gearbox just at the inner end of the boot. What I suspect happened. There was still enough grease but it was very liquid. I will repalce it with fresh one. So for people who drive hard, check the grease inside your inner boots because it deteriorates a lot with age and heat.

Liquid grease is not that bad, better than no grease at all.
Headers + track + the hottest joint will contribute to failure.

Don't wanna clean up that mess! :D

My $.02

LarryB

I tried ordering all the hoses ... one is discontinued and one on backorder for longer period of time. I hope that is just a temporary situation :(

Bernhard

19501-PR7-A00 DESCRIPTION: HOSE, FR. WATER - DISCONTINUED
19519-PR7-A00 DESCRIPTION: HOSE, WATER MIDDLE - BACKORDER (RELEASE 10/6)

My car is first registered early 92 but definitly built more like early 91 as it does not have power steering.

Bernhard

Back