• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F355 vs. BBSC NSX

Real world acceleration is not a strong suit of either the NSX or the 355, however the 355 does have some impressive top end power. When C&D first tested a stock 355 back in 1995, it ran the quarter at 110mph and pulled redline in top at 179 mph.

And don't forget, there are plenty of go-fast goodies available from the Challenge Series.

Rennphile said:

And don't forget, there are plenty of go-fast goodies available from the Challenge Series.

True that, but with money any car can be fast. We can turbo ::evil laugh:: Don't ask how I know.

this thread is a good read.

ravi

Stock 355s run about 300 RWHP while stock 3.2L NSXs run about 260 or so, hence assuming similar drag coefficients and frontal areas (probably a sane assumption), stock-for-stock, the 355 will walk the NSX at triple digit speeds.

Yes, the 355 does have higher top end than the NSX, but that is as far as it goes. If you do a search on the MR2 board, there were a thread about how a NSX beat a 355 in a sanctioned drag race. It goes on to show MYNSX's car at the end.

Lighten the NSX up (No engine cover, spare tires and its rack, plus the tools in the rear,) and you are good to go.

I guess I might be able to add a little personal experience to this thread.

and for those who are curious why...go to this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20338

I drive my brother's 355 quite a bit and now put a couple hundred miles on the new 360.

The 355 is a strong V8. It will beat standard NSX's all day long. On the hwy, it does pretty darn good at trying to keep up with my car. But keep in mind, my brother's is a spider and had a bunch of added goodies that are heavy as well, so it is considerably slower than a Berlinetta.

The 360 modena will smoke any non forced induction & non-nitrous cars. 400hp and as fast as a new ZO6. The torque is so amazing. My car will get spanked in 1st and 2nd gear. At the top of 3rd and 4th, I can keep up with it. The spider will run 12.9 qtr miles stock and the coupe runs 12.8's.

Of the two cars, the 355 sounds better, but the modena is so full of torque...which makes it a blast to drive.

honestly, at the end of the day...a Ferrari is still a Ferrari. If you can afford to own one and to properly maintain one, then I would get one. But if you can barely afford to purchase one, you will be a in a world of hurt when you find out you can't even afford to maintain it!

Allen

X-TNSIV said:
honestly, at the end of the day...a Ferrari is still a Ferrari. If you can afford to own one and to properly maintain one, then I would get one.
I don't get these remarks at all. Sports cars are, for the most part, luxury items. I think in most cases, the purchase decision parameters (ruling out the economic constraint per your remark) are:

Looks (subjective)
Performance (objective)
Status (more-or-less objective)
Downtime (or reliability - objective)
Ergonomics (objective)

While status may be important to some, it isn't even a consideration for me. I'd much rather buy a no-status Ford than a Ferrari (you know which one...).

X-TNSIV said:

The 355 is a strong V8. It will beat standard NSX's all day long. On the hwy, it does pretty darn good at trying to keep up with my car. But keep in mind, my brother's is a spider and had a bunch of added goodies that are heavy as well, so it is considerably slower than a Berlinetta.

The 360 modena will smoke any non forced induction & non-nitrous cars. 400hp and as fast as a new ZO6. The torque is so amazing. My car will get spanked in 1st and 2nd gear. At the top of 3rd and 4th, I can keep up with it. The spider will run 12.9 qtr miles stock and the coupe runs 12.8's.

Allen

I am very surprised that your TT NSX only run high 12s in the 1/4 mile. Ever think about the supercharged?

Lighten up the NSX, and I will play with the 355, not the 360 though. The 360, leave it to the blue ZO6 guy that you met in La Jolla. He smoked a 360 coupe down in Qualcomm sanction drag race.

Number9,

IMHO, you overlooked the most important parameter:

Fun to drive (totally subjective)

Ferraris are often the target of criticism. As the owner of a 355 for the past few years, I can also confirm that most of the criticism is warranted. Its faults include a lack of low-end torque, "sticky" throttle break away, impractical, and very expensive and time consuming to maintain. In my mind, it's also an odd marriage of some of the finest materials coupled with some pretty sloppy build quality.

However, much of this is forgotten once behind the wheel. The sound of the engine is so sonorous it actually makes the hairs on your neck stand up on end. And while the lack of low end torque might disappoint those familiar with the midrange punch of a Porsche Turbo or modified NSX, it has some real top end horsepower. And its chassis communicates so cleanly it constantly encourages you to fully explore its handling envelope.

It's not an easy car to drive well, however on the right road and under the right conditions, the Ferrari is an unbeatable experience. It's something that just can't be described by objective performance numbers. Just read Doug Hayashi's website http://www.nsxfiles.com/ and you'll begin to understand why he and Wayne have owned Ferraris for the past 5 years in addition to their NSXs.

I love the NSX, but I still lust after Ferrari.

I agreed! If you have a question, just own both and it will be answer.

Rennphile said:
Number9,

IMHO, you overlooked the most important parameter:

Fun to drive (totally subjective)
Sort of, but not really if we equate performance + ergo = fun-to-drive. I actually think the 355 is one of the best in the looks parameter, but after having driven one, it's clearly not the equal of a stock Zanardi, let alone a modified one in the fun-to-drive metric. I wasn't kidding about the Ford, but I'm not optimistic that they'll be available anywhere near list for a few years...

Number9,

I would submit that fun to drive is not the sum of the two "objective" categories you mentioned. It's much more intangible than performance and ergonomics (although they're a part of it).

If you've had a chance to really drive a 355 and it didn't speak to you emotionally, then save your money and buy a more practical alternative.

Rennphile said:
If you've had a chance to really drive a 355 and it didn't speak to you emotionally, then save your money and buy a more practical alternative.
I've already made that choice when I bought and then supercharged the Zanardi. I like the 355 - it's just that there are several other cars I like better. There's a huge subjective component here which we've both acknowledged - no problem in agreeing to disagree.

Number9,

Well said. :)

Furthermore, I've never driven a supercharged NSX-Z although I'd love to. I'm sure it would fall within my fun to drive parameter.

How come a stock F355 only has 300 RWHP.
AFAIK, the 355-engine is said to have 380 HP. That would translate into a 21% drive-train loss for the F355.

From what I've read about the NSX I understand the NSX looses about 12%. This coincides pretty well with my 241 RWHP compared to the official 274 HP at the crank (241/274 = 0.8796).
For those of you who wonder, the European NSX is rated at 274 DIN-HP.

So, am I to conclude that
a) Ferraris claim of 380 HP is optimistic or
b) the Ferrari drive-train is less efficient.

Of course I am familiar with the fact that the F355 has it's engine placed lengtewhise and therefore needs at lease one extra gearing but I don't really believe that will make that much of a difference.

Greg,
I had a great time putting some miles on the cars with you yesterday. It's been a good while since we've done that! Yes, the NSX did have the advantage in acceleration but that F-car is a hell of a lot of fun to drive. (Following the roll-ons, Greg let me drive the F355 for about 20 minutes)...very enjoyable motoring. I am looking forward to hearing her with the cat bypass pipes installed. She looks beautiful with the new HRE's...makes me painfully aware that mine need a good polishing! FYI My car is a '94 running the standard 6lb BBSC with the SS box and "killer" software. Dyno 392rwhp/270tq.

TampaBayNSX-R said:
FYI My car is a '94 running the standard 6lb BBSC with the SS box and "killer" software. Dyno 392rwhp/270tq.

At first I thought that was a CTSC... those numbers are pretty good even for a BBSC though..

Last edited:
92NSX said:
Ok, I'll take the bait....

Nimbus, ANYTIME, how do you know??? :D :confused:

I know because I was lucky enough to own both a F355 F1 Berlinetta and a CTSC NSX at the same time. My CTSC NSX would walk the F355 everytime regardless of the change in drivers.

Reduced resolution, keeping the file size down.

98f3552-1.jpg

98f3556-1.jpg

Number9 said:
I don't get these remarks at all. Sports cars are, for the most part, luxury items.

I get it. I think most do. Save for a few Ferrari models (the Mondial for example), Ferrari's are about as close to rolling automotive artwork as possible. The successful marriage of beauty, performance, history, and engineering is undeniable (there could be more qualities for some). "A Ferrari is still a Ferrari" means that only one make has above characteristics in such amount and quality as Ferrari. Whether you accept that or not is a seperate issue.

Originally posted by Number9
While status may be important to some, it isn't even a consideration for me. I'd much rather buy a no-status Ford than a Ferrari (you know which one...).

Is the "no-status Ford" you mention the Ford GT of Ford GT40 fame? B/c that is hardly a "no-status Ford!";)

Small chance the CTSC NSX was a better driver? Just kidding, I was driving his CTSC NSX #1 when we race toward a cop in the Boston area.

Nimbus said:
I know because I was lucky enough to own both a F355 F1 Berlinetta and a CTSC NSX at the same time. My CTSC NSX would walk the F355 everytime regardless of the change in drivers.

Back