• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory 6-speed vs 5-speed tranny

Hey all ...

I'm looking to get late model NSX (6-speed) and I'm curious to know what the engine rpm is in 6th gear at 60 mph (factory transmission only) and is there a lot of difference between that and a factory 5-speed (which I used to own). I've never driven a 6-speed before.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the info ... I was hoping it would be below 2000 rpm like the current Honda Accord V6s.

Hello, I don't think there is a major difference between the final drive ratios in the 5 spd vs 6 spd. These ratios are set by the engineers and has to do with torque curves, cam designs, etc.

I know what you are saying about wanting to idle lower at a given speed, but any rpm lower than 2000 rpm and the NSX engine will lug which is the last thing you want.

The ring and pinion are the same for both the five and six speeds, but the gear ratio of 5th gear is 0.771 for the 5-speed, while the gear ratio for 6th gear is 0.717. Therefore, comparing the two in the top gear at any speed the 6-speed would have 7% lower RPM's. For example, roughly 2400 RPM versus 2580 RPM at 60 mph.

Bob

Back