Factory NSX with supercharger or turbo?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but can someone please clarify this for me?

Did Acura sell NSX's with a factory Supercharger or Turbo option? Were they reliable?

Thanks!

Nope

So those that NSX's I have read about that have a Comptech supercharger are all aftermarket add-ons?

And that is a far stretch from being OEM...

Honda / Acura delalers never sold any turbo kits for the NSX, only superchargers.

There is no such thing as factory installed supercharger, Acura dealers offered Comptech superchargers. My car came with the CTSC that was dealer installed when the car was new and the warranty was never cancelled.

Many buyers were shown a Comptech catalog from which they could add additional options for their cars like a supercharger, headers, cat back exhaust, coilovers, brembo brakes, air filter box, targa compartment, anty sway bars and many more. Some didn't buy anything, some bought just the SC, some the SC + headers and exhaust and some went all out and bought everything. Many owners will say that they have the "Comptech package" but the truth is that each car may have different amount of upgrades so each "CT package may be different". My car came with the CTSC, CT headers, CT exhaust, CT sway bars, CT carbon fiber air filter box and CT targa top compartment.

I hope that helps, more on the topic:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124669&highlight=comptech+package

Last edited:
Honda / Acura delalers never sold any turbo kits for the NSX, only superchargers.

There is no such thing as factory installed supercharger, Acura dealers offered Comptech superchargers. My car came with the CTSC that was dealer installed when the car was new and the warranty was never cancelled.

Many buyers were shown a Comptech catalog from which they could add additional options for their cars like a supercharger, headers, cat back exhaust, coilovers, brembo brakes, air filter box, targa compartment, anty sway bars and many more. Some didn't buy anything, some bought just the SC, some the SC + headers and exhaust and some went all out and bought everything. Many owners will say that they have the "Comptech package" but the truth is that each car may have different amount of upgrades so each "CT package may be different". My car came with the CTSC, CT headers, CT exhaust, CT sway bars, CT carbon fiber air filter box and CT targa top compartment.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124669&highlight=comptech+package

Wow! Great info Brylek!

My understanding has always been that dealer installed Ctsc never voided the warranty.

Honda apparently made a NSX-r gt with a turbo. They only made 5 total. Not sure how many were turbo.

Do you guys beleive a NSX with the Comptech supercharger installed make the NSX more desirable; i.e.: increase re-sale value?

My understanding has always been that dealer installed Ctsc never voided the warranty.

Honda apparently made a NSX-r gt with a turbo. They only made 5 total. Not sure how many were turbo.

Are you sure? I remember reading somewhere that the NSX-R GT had a stock NSX-R engine.

Do you guys beleive a NSX with the Comptech supercharger installed make the NSX more desirable; i.e.: increase re-sale value?

The main reason why I bought the car I currently own is the dealer installed SC the car came with. The first owner paid $16 000 for the package, I know he lost most of his money on this but I think my car may be worth up to $5 000 more than a similar one without the CT package.

CTSC is something that a lot of people want, especially if dealer installed. The system is very reliable and a lot of owners say that this is how the car should have been designed in the first place. There are plenty of owners who love NA cars and they will never consider any form of FI just like there are some who will say "go turbo or go home" :). The CTSC if perfect for owners who want more power without changing the characteristic of the car much and don't mind FI but want a high quality product with good R&D backgrount - there is a reason why Honda developed a relationship with Comptech. The drivability of a CTSC'd car is practically the same as a stock car but with just a little more friendly torque that pushes you into your seat.

Last edited:

I think the one that Spoon bought was the only one turboed and that was cause Spoon turboed and tuned it.

I've watched prices pretty closely for the last couple of years here on Prime. It seems like a CTSC raises the value of any early NSX by 3-5K.

That brings up another question. CTSC or SOS SC?

There is no doubt the SOS unit produces more power and offers an intercooler/aftercooler option. On the other hand, because the CTSC was offered by many Acura dealers as a "dealer installed option" on new NSX's, that unit has more of an original authenticity about it.

Of course it is the only one that is street-legal in CA and other states that require CARB certification.

The big difference is that the CTSC runs on factory engine management, and the SOS SC requires that you go to an AEM of some sort. The reason the CTSC is limited in terms of boost and power is specifically this, because it is not using aftermarket injectors or engine management. It gains extra fuel by raising fuel pressure through the injectors, and that happens by increasing voltage to the fuel pump.

Shad at driving ambition was a guy behind the design of the CTSC before he left Comptech and knows a lot about the system.

The CTSC is not a perfect or a super "fine tuned" system. It has the potential for a lot more power, but to go any further you have to leave stock injectors and engine management behind. That will not get you CARB compliance or be 50 state legal anymore. The CTSC, other than a slight glitch in 06 and a subsequent adjustment to the fuel pressure regulator is designed to run on the rich side. More fuel than the engine wants to see, a lower air to fuel ratio (AFR). That cuts down on your power, but it is also safe on the motor.

When I spoke to shad he made it clear to me that it was very important for them to design a system that in case of en error, errored on the safe side and not on the dangerous side. My personal experience has confirmed this. My car runs slightly rich. Not much, but a little. It keeps things safe. Your spark plugs need replacement a bit earlier.

As far as the warranty, Honda never warrantied the CTSC, but the installing dealers did. It didn't "void" the factory warranty either, because any manufacturer that does that must prove that your malfunction is a result of your modifications. If your radio went out, they can never say "sorry you have a supercharger". So the dealers that installed Comptech took on the risk of mechanical issues with the motor, if there were to be any.

My local dealers at the time all sold Comptech parts, and had catalogs from which you could choose parts.

Last edited:
I've watched prices pretty closely for the last couple of years here on Prime. It seems like a CTSC raises the value of any early NSX by 3-5K.
Which is a great deal for the buyer informed. Used systems (they rare come up for sale) typically go for 5-6k+ for the older Whipple units and 6-8k+ for the "generation 2" Autorotor units while new units are $10k. This is not including installation costs.

Some folks realize later they should have paid the small premium up front and save themselves the trouble and additional cost of the install. I'm one of these people. The NSX in NA form is a potent machine but going FI is a natural progression for many of us.
That brings up another question. CTSC or SOS SC?

There is no doubt the SOS unit produces more power and offers an intercooler/aftercooler option. On the other hand, because the CTSC was offered by many Acura dealers as a "dealer installed option" on new NSX's, that unit has more of an original authenticity about it.

Of course it is the only one that is street-legal in CA and other states that require CARB certification.
The intercooler option works for either SOS or 2nd gen CTSC. For the average Joe who may not hover over every new post on nsxprime the CTSC CARB approved plug-n-play unit is the no-brainer, safe bet. Its certainly not perfect if you want to ring out every ounce of performance but the SOS unit requires case by case special attention. Namely a custom tune. What most don't realize is if you get a custom tune (additional hardware necessary) you'll be able to ring out more performance from your stock CTSC - though technically at this point it's no longer CARB legal.

I think that depends on the individual. Some people prefer a stock car, and others don't. Personally I wouldn't have minded if my NSX came with a dealer installed CTSC, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay extra for it as I'm satisfied with the performance of the NA engine.

...Honda apparently made a NSX-r gt with a turbo. They only made 5 total. Not sure how many were turbo.

I still doubt those cars even existed. After all of these years, nobody has either seen or ridden in a REAL NSX-R GT. That just seems fishy to me. The only 'proof' that I have ever heard of is the brochure, which means nothing.

I still doubt those cars even existed. After all of these years, nobody has either seen or ridden in a REAL NSX-R GT. That just seems fishy to me. The only 'proof' that I have ever heard of is the brochure, which means nothing.

I don't doubt their existance, Honda wouldn't lie about something like this. According to a credible source all 5 were sold to private collectors before officially came on sale so I wouldn't expect to see one soon :rolleyes:. Maybe some day Honda will arrange for one to show up at an NSX Fiesta in Japan...

I think I remember this even way back when I bought my Integra GSR... the Comptech dealer installed options that they WOULD Warranty because they installed them and Comptech was the official Honda/Acura aftermarket company...

Nice details on CTSC vs SOS SC. Great info. I'd like to add a couple of points that I would love to get verification on.

While SOS recommends the stand-alone AEM ems on 91-94 "for high performance/track use" it is not offered as an option on kits for later models. The alternative is a piggyback fuel/timing management system. I believe this still allows more precise tuning and more efficient operation than the combination of fuel pump voltage management and fuel pressure management that the CT unit relies on. I believe the SOS compressor is also larger displacement. Can anyone confirm these points?

Regarding the impact of a dealer installed ctsc on the Acura warranty: It is true that under the law, the burden of proof is on Acura to prove that ANY aftermarket part is the cause of a failure of one of the oem systems before denying a warranty claim. However,Acura and most other manufacturers often make it pretty difficult to enforce this law. I've seen claims for engine failures denied because of an aftermarket open-element intake (although this extreme is pretty rare these days.) I get the impression that Acura service managers and regional warranty managers have looked much more kindly on warranty claims where a the vehicle was equipped with a dealer-installed CTSC then they would if the car had 3rd party-installed CTSC or non-comptech parts. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Nice details on CTSC vs SOS SC. Great info. I'd like to add a couple of points that I would love to get verification on.

While SOS recommends the stand-alone AEM ems on 91-94 "for high performance/track use" it is not offered as an option on kits for later models. The alternative is a piggyback fuel/timing management system. I believe this still allows more precise tuning and more efficient operation than the combination of fuel pump voltage management and fuel pressure management that the CT unit relies on. I believe the SOS compressor is also larger displacement. Can anyone confirm these points?

Most of your questions are answered here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148364

Regarding the impact of a dealer installed ctsc on the Acura warranty: It is true that under the law, the burden of proof is on Acura to prove that ANY aftermarket part is the cause of a failure of one of the oem systems before denying a warranty claim. However,Acura and most other manufacturers often make it pretty difficult to enforce this law. I've seen claims for engine failures denied because of an aftermarket open-element intake (although this extreme is pretty rare these days.) I get the impression that Acura service managers and regional warranty managers have looked much more kindly on warranty claims where a the vehicle was equipped with a dealer-installed CTSC then they would if the car had 3rd party-installed CTSC or non-comptech parts. Can anyone confirm this?

Don't forget that it was Acura / Honda who installed these systems.

Yes, the SOS one is more displacement, you gain some things with that and you lose some things too. Just like a turbo, proper sizing for your application is what you want. For the CTSC system, this is proper sizing. More displacement comes with more parasitic drag. For higher boost levels, aftermarket management, aftermarket injectors and pump, a larger displacement SC may perform better with certain applications. As far as a FIC working "better", it depends on your tuner... It is definitely a more complex install. My AFR's are pretty rock solid, I have checked my times on 5 different dynos. While not PERFECT, it is at probably 96% of what you'd want even with add-on management.

For warranty, a large amount of discretion comes from the dealer and service manager. They can get plenty of things passed onto Honda and never even mention their own installed SC if they want to. Of course if they did the install, they will try to do that for their own clients.

I can't imagine that there would be any downside of the SOS SC compared to the older comptech ones.

Personally I think a TVS 2300 blower that is used on the ZR-1 is the best one for the NSX. Anything larger than that and u really have challenges in parastatic loses on running the blower pulley.

The SOS SC 2.1 is pretty darn good but since my goal was to hit 1 bar of boost on pump gas with no meth injection I was told that 13psi was the max efficiency for it. So the 2.3 would have been better for me.

Back