• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fake TE37 that looks good

I know this is a terrible 2nd post, but........you drive a super car, one of the best cars ever to come out of Japan, and you're putting knock-off wheels on it?

:frown:

Interestingly enough, Mackin released a memo a few weeks ago to all authorized dealers... I'm assuming it's due to these Varrstoen knockoffs. Basically, any Mackin dealer selling these wheels will lose their dealer rights and blacklisted from Mackin. I'm glad.

4953034024_e315ff0ce0_b.jpg

Mackin isn't forcing anyone. It's their choice who is and isn't a dealer of their products. If you owned a business, why would you support someone who is selling a knockoff product to yours side by side? It wouldn't be a smart business move.

I would still question the legality of it all, I can't really see why they would be that angry over it, if their product is really as strong as they would have us believe, then why worry? It's not as if they are the first company to have their wheels copied, in fact they are one of the last to have their product copied. They have had the luxury of selling their wheels for a long time so I am sure they have made lots of money. (as a side note, IF they were to make their wheels more readily available, they would probably sell triple the wheels - or more - I think everyone will agree here)

I don't see it as competition, I doubt that the people who buy knockoffs would ever spend 3x the cash for real ones.

I think it's like saying the kia forte looks like a civic (it does), so if any honda dealer has a used kia on the lot, they will lose their dealer license...

I am just playing devils advocate here, I own 7 sets of rays wheels and have previously had even more, I also own one set of varrstoen.

Mackin isn't forcing anyone. It's their choice who is and isn't a dealer of their products. If you owned a business, why would you support someone who is selling a knockoff product to yours side by side? It wouldn't be a smart business move.

I'm not questioning the motives of mackin industries, but i question the legality. we all understand they don't want their dealers selling knock offs. im not a lawyer by any means but i thought there are certain anti trust laws in place that don't allow for such conduct. This type of business happens all the time but most don't come out with a memo stating such.

Keep in mind i own volks, and don't particularly like direct knock offs, but i do support a free market. i also believe you get what you pay for and people forget that some people don't mind paying a lot less money for a marginally inferior product. most don't care about the 3-5 lbs weight savings and the all forged single piece wheel, they just want a good quality wheel, that looks good, and doesn't cost a fortune.

Last edited:
Interesting, would seem as if Rays felt challenged that someone produced a set of wheels that mimic there "style" but not the quality :rolleyes:

Funny how no one has pulled a stunt like this over Rota, Drag, Konig, etc that all carry wheels that mimic other manufactured styles.

Greddy, HKS, Blitz, etc. all released similar letters but with the intent on protecting their customers from potentially being scammed by buying a knock off. Why? Obviously they didnt feel challenged by a BOV on ebay that costs 20$ with a free adapter compared to their quality unit.

Rays needs to relax a bit :tongue:

Wow this is pretty funny if the knockoffs were half as good at Rays Eng wheels then maybe their letter would be warranted to dealers. I do not agree with the position they are trying to put dealers into maybe if the knockoffs were stickered as 'Rays' or 'Volk' etc I can understand. Competition between the manufacturers is always good and helps further R&D and upcoming new products. Lets face it wheels have been copied between manufactures all over the place all the time for years. I can remember this has been happening as far back as the '90s (or even before that for some others on here) when I purchased my first set of rims and tires for my first Acura Integra.

Sure if I was a kid coming straight out of college/university I'd probably look for the cheapest wheels for my import. Glad to see someone made some cheap knockoffs but honestly I stick to what I know proven and true plus the price of Rays Wheels have come down a lot over the years. I've owned a set of Volk LE28N's (Same as CE28N) for around ~6-7 years now! They look like new still and are probably the strongest lightest and one of the best looking wheels I've ever owner period :biggrin:

I'm not questioning the motives of mackin industries, but i question the legality. we all understand they don't want their dealers selling knock offs. im not a lawyer by any means but i thought there are certain anti trust laws in place that don't allow for such conduct. This type of business happens all the time but most don't come out with a memo stating such.

Keep in mind i own volks, and don't particularly like direct knock offs, but i do support a free market. i also believe you get what you pay for and people forget that some people don't mind paying a lot less money for a marginally inferior product. most don't care about the 3-5 lbs weight savings and the all forged single piece wheel, they just want a good quality wheel, that looks good, and doesn't cost a fortune.
Understood.

Here's how I see it. Let's say that I'm a potential customer that was planning on buying Volks. I am not 100% intent on getting the real thing, but since it's the only one available, I will buy it. I walk into the store and see Volks and Varstoens side by side, one much cheaper than the other. There's a good chance I will end up buying the cheaper wheel, which will cause Rays to lose a sale.

Understood.

Here's how I see it. Let's say that I'm a potential customer that was planning on buying Volks. I am not 100% intent on getting the real thing, but since it's the only one available, I will buy it. I walk into the store and see Volks and Varstoens side by side, one much cheaper than the other. There's a good chance I will end up buying the cheaper wheel, which will cause Rays to lose a sale.

same thing as when you walk into your local grocery store, and see fruit loops, and next to it you have fruit circles. a lot of people still buy the fruit loops. im not going to argue about the ethics of creating knock offs. when you make a great product people will try to duplicate it and either improve it or undercut it that is the history of manufacturing. without competition there would be no innovation.

hi, this monday i have ordered 2 varrstoen 2.2.1 18x8 et 35 for front
and 2 varrstoen 2.2.2 in 19x9.5 et35 for rear, the four in white

i will post picture on this page when it be fixed !

ps: tires are falken fk452 225/35/18 front and 275/30/19 rear
my nsx is red but i will paint it in white

Before you get the tires mounted, switch the fronts to 215/35/18!!

You can run a 225 no problem on a 8" wide wheel but have to consider that when running lower offsets you run higher risk of rubbing on the fender with a wide tire.

i know there is a difference but I did not think as much ! within 215 and 225 on 8'

thanks a lot for explication ! :wink:

i will buy 215/35/18

when i searched what tire size i will buy, i have seen this picture

Volk Racing CE28N18x8, +38 and 19x9.5, +36.
Toyo Proxes T1R 275 30 R19, 225 35 R18

but effectively if the guy have fixed camber kit ...
this is not the same think

5184_126876971223_690446223_3301284_4870272_n.jpg

Im actually driving to that store on Friday to pick up a set in 18x8 and 19x9.5. I'll make sure i get the same tire size.

I think that knock offs are a great choice for people on a budget. As long as they don't say that they are Volks or whatevers on them.......Rims are expensive, so for the highschool or college kid looking for nice looking wheels then these are a good choice. I wouldn't put knock offs on my car personally, but I am not going to knock another person for having knock offs....as long as they don't try to claim their wheel to be something that isn't.

If knock offs were an option when I was in highschool or college then I would have probably bought the same until I could afford the real deal.

Volk/Rays shouldn't be scared of imitation.....they are already established.

If anything they should have lower wheel line made just for people on a budget.

I think that knock offs are a great choice for people on a budget. As long as they don't say that they are Volks or whatevers on them.......Rims are expensive, so for the highschool or college kid looking for nice looking wheels then these are a good choice. I wouldn't put knock offs on my car personally, but I am not going to knock another person for having knock offs....as long as they don't try to claim their wheel to be something that isn't.

If knock offs were an option when I was in highschool or college then I would have probably bought the same until I could afford the real deal.

Volk/Rays shouldn't be scared of imitation.....they are already established.

If anything they should have lower wheel line made just for people on a budget.

Why would a high schooler/college student be driving an NSX?

Why the hell NOT? I drove an Nsx in College. Dude NSX isnt a out of reach car. Its just a car and only cost $20-40k to obtain. So why would a college or even high school Not have a nsx or viper or vette?? they all can be had used for less than $30-40k
And yes, I will buy replica rims,
as I dont know Ray or Care how rich Rays products make him. I go through rims from getting bents from pot holes etc, every year. So something cheaper to replace is something I have to keep in mind.
My main concern is looks than the weight and the strength of the wheels. I can give a rats arse about if Who Makes them. If I wanna throw away money on name brands I ll go buy another pair of Gucci shoes for $500 or add few more shoes to my 100 shoes collection or get clothes than to spend it on wheels I throw away almost every year. I m on my 4th set in 5 years.
Knock off wheels are great for people on a budget and people who dont Feel the Need to spend more than they think they want to spend. Like someone said before if ray cant compete with knock off maybe they should make thier wheels better priced to compete. Eitherway to me aslong as you are NOT telling people its real or its volks when they arent than its just fine. Now if you are putting Volks stickers on your Vaer torrs, Now thats just wrong as you are just posing...
Why would a high schooler/college student be driving an NSX?

Last edited:
Back