• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Final mod: NSX-R engine hood scoop? where to get?

I've been debating a while on getting this mod and whether it should be cosmetic only or functional.....what do you guys suggest?

I love my NSX but want something that is unique and also reverse-able if need be down the road.

A few guys told me I need a lexan rear hatch while others have said I can use double sided tape and just purchase a hood scoop?

Where is a good source for all these parts if someone wanted to tackle this job?

thanks for any info
rick

My opinion, I think it looks terrible and 99% of the people just won't understand.

Unless it's 100% functional, it's probably the 'riceiest' mod people seem to approve of...

waovo5.jpg

don't do it. your car looks too pristine to rice it out with a hood scoop. it looks great the way it is. If I were you, I would add a supercharger and/or BBK (and call it a day) if you haven't had them already.

HELL no to a double stick taped snorkel. Id even say no to a *functional* one b/c IMO they look ridiculous. OK on a race car if its actually needed to channel air, but silly on a street car.

The lexan engine cover, on the other hand, is a very nice mod. I have the DownForce CF/lexan engine cover (also bought at the urging of others) and get nothing but compliments on it including the Ferrari guys at the Cars and Coffee.

Get the double sticky tape snorkel LOL:biggrin:

I've been debating a while on getting this mod
and whether it should be cosmetic only or functional.....what do you guys suggest?

I love my NSX but want something that is unique and also reverse-able if need be down the road.

A few guys told me I need a lexan rear hatch while others have said I can use double sided tape and just purchase a hood scoop?

Where is a good source for all these parts if someone wanted to tackle this job?

thanks for any info
rick

i wouldn't do it rick bc imo it doesn't flow with the clean look you have going already .. thats just me tho maybe a nsxr hood however

I don't get it, nsx is such a clean look. Why do people want to throw whale tails and hood scoops on them? Maybe I'm just old school.

The lexan engine cover, on the other hand, is a very nice mod. I have the DownForce CF/lexan engine cover (also bought at the urging of others) and get nothing but compliments on it including the Ferrari guys at the Cars and Coffee.

they compliment it because its on an NSX... its because they ENVY us, like the Corvette guys! :biggrin:

function > form

Looks hideous:eek: the ultimate add-on rice part. Look at me...I am JDM:eek:
get one like Vrooom's...Function > Form and looks it was meant to be.

Your car look really sweet that way it is. You want something unique, go for the Movit ceramic brake$$$$$...or ITB$$. Reverse-ible.

Last edited:
I would say do what you want. If it is function over form then why do people use bigger wheels than actually needed? Contact Ravi at Umbrella Design.:wink:

Just FYI, the Engine Hood Scoop is actually a Factory Option in the Official NSX-R Catalogue (and it appears to be made by Mugen).

IMHO, I wouldn't get one either as almost no (if not all) NSX-R owners have chosen such Option.

An Engine Hood Scoop only look good on the SUPER-GT NSXs and barely okay on the ZERO FORCE kit, even the NSX-RGT doesn't cut it. Point being is you need a wide-body to stretch out the height-to-width proportion as stock to maintain the form.

If you really wanted an Engine Hood Scoop, just get a low profile aftermarket one to flow with us street cars.

My 0.02. :smile:

...it will add too much horsepower and wouldn't want to see you damage your very nice car, don't do it :cool:

Looks hideous:eek: the ultimate add-on rice part. Look at me...I am JDM:eek:
get one like Vrooom's...Function > Form and looks it was meant to be.

Your car look really sweet that way it is. You want something unique, go for the Movit ceramic brake$$$$$...or ITB$$. Reverse-ible.

I don't really think it looks "hideous" per se... but it's a very AGGRESSIVE looking item. With how Rick's car currently sits, it does not flow IMO. Secondly, for an item that sticks out like a soar thumb, you better believe I would make sure mine was functional!

I agree with many of the comments. The farther away a modification gets from function, the more people associate with "rice". I have a hard enough time with my set up justifying (to myself) the step 2 engine mods that will pair with the roof scoop.

only way I would put on the snorkle would be to balance it out with a front custom mount unicorn horn.:tongue:

thank you for all the input ~ really makes me think I should put this on hold....hehe

Quite honestly I just wanted to try something different and if it's a whole hatch replacement with scoop, it would allow more cooling air for functionality but I agree that on a street car it's more for show than anything.

My oem rear hatch glass is tinted from previous owner and I always wanted to try a clear glass approach so figured if the cost isn't too bad I may try it. Worst case would be to remove it :)

I see there's a lot of strong opinions and rice comments and appreciate you guys looking out for my car's sake!

I realize my NSX does not have an aggressive body kit, sideskirts or even a NSX-R hood or front lip so this mod might be considered too over the top. I guess I will have to re-think this a bit more for now.

Just for reference sake, anyone know where I can purchase the lexan rear hatch with the hole for the snorkel and of course the snorkel too? Does SOS sell this item? Price range?

thanks
rick

Back