• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Final mod: NSX-R engine hood scoop? where to get?

If you really wanted an Engine Hood Scoop, just get a low profile aftermarket one to flow with us street cars.

My 0.02. :smile:

I have no comment on the snorkel.

However, some of the aftermarket US one is this hideous looking ones at pep boys:biggrin:

images

I agree with many of the comments. The farther away a modification gets from function, the more people associate with "rice". I have a hard enough time with my set up justifying (to myself) the step 2 engine mods that will pair with the roof scoop.

When I was working with Nissan GTP, the model came out of wind tunnel and looked really good with decent numbers to back up but during shakedown, the engine needed more HP to lower the laptime so we added snorkels to catch clean air. It look hideous but worked. Your hatch work looks meant to be and if it worked, it does catch clean air....mucho bueno. You have mad skills. My hat off to you.

Last edited:
Form aside, I doubt there's much function from this mod for a street car. Only way I can see it helping (other than for ITBs) is to feed an exposed air filter on a car not using an air box. But you could probably even get those gains just by going back to the OEM air box.

So IMO this leaves the decision down to a question of form. And when it comes to form, my opinion has always been to mod YOUR CAR the way YOU want to. Why do people insist on modding their cars by committee?

J

Form aside, I doubt there's much function from this mod for a street car. Only way I can see it helping (other than for ITBs) is to feed an exposed air filter on a car not using an air box. But you could probably even get those gains just by going back to the OEM air box.

So IMO this leaves the decision down to a question of form. And when it comes to form, my opinion has always been to mod YOUR CAR the way YOU want to. Why do people insist on modding their cars by committee?

J

BINGO!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do whatever you pleased to YOUR car, who cares of what others have to say! It would make perfect sense if you let these people drive your car and therefore you have to please them. But then there are people in this world preferred other's opinions.
JMHO:wink:

Just for reference sake, anyone know where I can purchase the lexan rear hatch with the hole for the snorkel and of course the snorkel too? Does SOS sell this item? Price range?

thanks
rick

http://www.suzuka-gt.net/NSX/other/new_gt_dc/index.html

Rick between this and the NSX # emblem you had on your engine I am starting to question your taste.... LOL

I got these from another thread. Just to show how the snorkel looks like on stock NSX.

attachment.php

attachment.php

<embed flashVars="playerVars=autoPlay=no" src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/3052184/best_motoring_honda_nsx_r_turbo_spoon_sports.swf" width="440" height="248" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_3052184" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed><div style="font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3052184/best_motoring_honda_nsx_r_turbo_spoon_sports/">Best Motoring Honda NSX-R Turbo Spoon Sports</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">For more funny movies, click here</a></div>

I've been debating a while on getting this mod and whether it should be cosmetic only or functional.....what do you guys suggest?

I love my NSX but want something that is unique and also reverse-able if need be down the road.

A few guys told me I need a lexan rear hatch while others have said I can use double sided tape and just purchase a hood scoop?

Where is a good source for all these parts if someone wanted to tackle this job?

thanks for any info
rick

Are you talking about the snorkel? I can help you but it's pricy. And you'll have to get a lexen hatch.

Put the snorkel on, and put back on the engine bay leds and plaque while you're at it. :biggrin:

Put the snorkel on, and put back on the engine bay leds and plaque while you're at it. :biggrin:

LOL... don't be mean... he has done a good job with his car otherwise. It's a miracle... it's like a blind person somehow painting a mona lisa... then coming back and asking if it would look better with a moustache... same guy...

It's all good ~ criticism is what makes us improve! Actually my engine bay LED's have always been on the car but quite stealthy. Mine is tame compared to the Sacramento bay area group!

The plaque is now safely hanging on my office wall and will not enter my engine bay again. That was actually made for me by another NSXprime member :)

I do love my car but just a bit bored looking at it every day. It's human nature to want change. I know a friend who always wanted a Ferrari, he bought one last year and every time we go bowling he tells me how it's quite boring after you own it a while. He rarely drives it, he can't mod it, and it looks totally stock like every other F-car in the bay area. He's ready to sell it for an R8 pretty soon from what I heard.

Enough ranting for now but if I do the scoop it's an experiment and totally reverseable mod so why not....

R hood rick.

Agreed, I definitely need an NSX-R hood and new front OEM lip painted GPW if I plan to show the car.

96cxt: WOW that hatch is really nice, I'd like to know who makes it too?

I started this thread to gather info on where to buy these scoops and lexan rear hatches so if anyone has info please please chime in here!!!

thanks and TGIF! :)

looks like a mugen hatch

2000fiesta15a.jpg

2000fiesta15b.jpg

1-13-2007-05.jpg

N10-0686.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php
:smile:

fujita21_99-img600x450-1238413632ky5z5837317.jpg

built for itbs

Last edited:
If u have to have it then the mugen hood is the way to go. Looks much better than the snorkel. The mugen one looks like the air scoop from the diablo sv, which looks awesome

If u have to have it then the mugen hood is the way to go. Looks much better than the snorkel. The mugen one looks like the air scoop from the diablo sv, which looks awesome

The snorkel is also Mugen. It works if you have a ITB.

Back