• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First drive in my new Turbo NSX & it blows up!

OK, Guess my question is two fold on this one thread. First, Is there any recourse I have legally with the seller ( I'm convinced the answer is no, but maybe I'm missing something) as to get help? Second, What do you think is wrong with the car and how would you fix it?

Heres the story:

I won the auction on a Gerry Johnson Turbo 94 NSX w/35k. One of my main concerns was that is this car/kit proven. Answer is that it has been on the car for 4 yrs and had over 10k miles put on it with no problems. Car needs nothing, ready to enjoy just as he has done for years. Only reason for selling is he needs money. So I travel 18hrs up there with a trailer. When I get there I personally do a compression test ASAP before I even start it up. It was pulled out of the garage already so it was warmed up. Compression checks out even across the board. As we are finishing it starts to sprinkle, we try to hurry. As we start on the test drive the bottom of the bucket literally falls out. Its storming so bad you can't see 5ft ahead of you. Streets are flooded. We went on an extended test drive but could never get in it hard because the roads were drenched. He did get in boost a couple of times tho and it did fine.
Took two days to get back to LA due to trailer tire problems. Next morning unloaded, warmed up properly, topped off, and took it out and opened it up. Rolled into it in first, went to the top of forth and the engine shuts off and blue smoke pouring from the back. My stomach feels sick! I look under neath and there is no oil on the ground, phew! Oil is full on the dipstick. I try to start again and it sounds as if it is straining to turn over. I towed to the house and did a compression test. Middle hole near the rear of car has 0 compression(during this test the motor turned over normal). My opinion is that it leaned out and burned a hole in the piston. This means if we would have opened it up hard on the test drive it would have blown on the test drive. What terrible luck for me and good luck for the seller.:frown:

Last edited:
Damn, this sucks!:mad: If you can find the previous service history from shops the PO used to take it to, You may find some facts that may help your cause. Otherwise you may need to replace the engine. I am sorry this happen to you. When I bought my NSX, the passenger window regulator broke the second time I tried it. I tried it once on initial inspection and the second time I used it was 30 mins. after I bought it and it broke. :frown:

what was the altitude of where you bought the nsx versus where you are at? more altitude = less air and less fuel required and more ignition timing. the stock ecus compensate for these factors, but the piggybacks working with the stock ecu's are likely not.

I feel really bad for what happened, as i have heard similar stores in the past, both on this forum (netviper and the guy that bought the first factor x nsx and then had them buy it back after it making a couple of cross country shipments (after it lost oil pressure unexpectidly) from vegas to the midwest) and outside these forums. hind site is 20/20 so don't beat yourself up on this, but first stop should have been to a tuner with dyno and wideband validate that the car was safe. (which obviously it was not).

Last edited:
what was the altitude of where you bought the nsx versus where you are at? more altitude = less air and less fuel required and more ignition timing. the stock ecus compensate for these factors, but the piggybacks working with the stock ecu's are likely not.

I feel really bad for what happened, as i have heard similar stores in the past, both on this forum (netviper and the guy that bought the first factor x nsx and then had them buy it back after it making a couple of cross country shipments (after it lost oil pressure unexpectidly) from vegas to the midwest) and outside these forums. hind site is 20/20 so don't beat yourself up on this, but first stop should have been to a tuner with dyno and wideband validate that the car was safe. (which obviously it was not).

altitude? Cleaveland Ohio to Alexandria La. is the two locations. I am beating myself up because I had tried to make an app. with the tuner for the day I came back with the car but they never called back to confirm and I blew it off. I can't believe I did that but I really thought it would be OK.

Alexandria vs. cleveland is only 575 ft difference in elevation , Im thinking something else went wrong , maybe bad gas or???

Total bummer...This is not how any new NSX owner should start out...
Good luck getting through it.

I know exactly how you feel...so much so that reading your story made my stomach feel sick. Truly sorry for you, Greg. :(

You have options but they'll cost some money and take some time. 3.5L turbo?

This is sad to hear, especially since I gave you advice on your other thread that the car is likely a good one due to Gerry's fine work.

If the car had been detonating I'm sure you would have heard it, but there is no way to determine if the previous owner had driven it under detonating conditions. If, in fact, you have burnt a piston, then at least the other components (valvetrain, cams, rods, block,etc.) are most likely in serviceable condition.

If the car had been detonating I'm sure you would have heard it

This isn't necessarily true. If you can physically "hear" detonation, you might as well tear it down then and there because the majority of detonation cannot be heard.

You know it's really bad when it knocks.

Silly question but did you try to contact the person you bought the car from to explain what happened?

Yes. I was very respective and told him straight up what happened and he basically said tear it down and send pics and we would go from there. From the outside that looks like he is willing to help but if you analyze that statement closer you will realize that is just him blowing me off:mad::frown:

Alexandria vs. cleveland is only 575 ft difference in elevation , Im thinking something else went wrong , maybe bad gas or???

I feel this may be a culprit also but it was low on gas and I topped it off, so IDK.

I am saddened to hear your story...do you ahve the money to replace or fix the engine...I certainly do not...thats why i will not go the direction that you did...I pray you ahve disposable income...then you can put it behind you and get it done.

God's speed brother

Dam :cool:

I feel this may be a culprit also but it was low on gas and I topped it off, so IDK.

Was the car setup to run on pump gas? if so the octane levels may be different for premium depending on where you are...

Sorry to hear.

Last edited:
Was the car setup to run on pump gas? if so the octane levels may be different for premium depending on where you are...

Sorry to hear.

Yes pump gas. We have 91 here and even if he had 93 there I wouldn't think 2 oct rating difference would cause this.

Sorry to hear about that man!!!!! WE were just talkin about you today at omars house. Let us know what happens.

sorrry

Blaine

GREG WTF!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

This was the last thing i thought would happen.:eek:

Im wondering how the tune was with the Motec. I remember when lens car was done it was a handful of motec tuners. Well its not a total disaster, i'll hit you up when i get home next week. You can do a motor swap.

GREG WTF!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

This was the last thing i thought would happen.:eek:

Im wondering how the tune was with the Motec. I remember when lens car was done it was a handful of motec tuners. Well its not a total disaster, i'll hit you up when i get home next week. You can do a motor swap.

I know right!!!!! As far as tuners I'm thinking Tony over at T1. I hear he's running the Motec on his 8sec Teg. I plan on calling him today.
What you mean motor swap? My car already had a built motor.

I will keep on the look out for a motor for you. I think just going back to a stock motor wouldnt be a horrible idea.

Blaine

Yeah no kidding!! He is TURBO crazy!! Nothing wrong with that. :biggrin:

Yes. I was very respective and told him straight up what happened and he basically said tear it down and send pics and we would go from there. From the outside that looks like he is willing to help but if you analyze that statement closer you will realize that is just him blowing me off:mad::frown:

there is a chance he just wants a proof that the car blew up and zero-in on the cause, you know? claims can be made etc. if i was the seller i would pay for the parts- i think that is a reasonable thing to ask him for, especially if he is a member of prime.

Back