• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fixing condensation in taillights and trunk

Taillight assembly.jpg

Everyone,

Decided to tackle the condensation in my trunk and taillights. Ordered new gaskets (3,10,5,12,38) since the old ones were cracked and now longer bounced back. Probably not a very good seal and how I suspect water/condensation was getting into my trunk.

As far as the condensation in taillights, I dried them out without issue and noticed that the plastic lens are barely pulling away from the black enclosure piece which originally kept a watertight seal but no longer. Don't really see how to solve the gap issue with out pulling these apart and praying I don't damage them more. a couple of the tabs holding them together have broken which I am sure has helped the gap to form. Anyways I plan to save myself the headache and use clear silicone to fill the tiny gaps and get a watertight seal.

So this all leads me to my real question...In what order do item #38 and item#(3,10,5,12) go in? Taillights, 38, main gasket, car or taillight, main gasket, 38, car? Since the gaskets were in such bad shape I don't really have a before reference point? Heck I couldn't even tell if #38 was even there to begin with. Do these matter or I am just sweating something insignificant that won't really matter?

Also, if #38 is needed what bolts do they go on? Using http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...trical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/taillight-scat the diagram and ordering guide reflect I will need Qty 8. But what 8 bolts? The taillight assembly has 10 bolts which is more than that. I thought maybe these were for items #4 ,11 but those each take 5 bolts.

Any help from someone that has already done this would be greatly appreciated.

if you can see your lens is splitting a new gasket set isn't going to fix it you need a new lens. I figured out the same thing on mine. removed put new gaskets on all 3 lens and then checked the next time I washed and same thing, I then noticed that the forward drains under the trunk shocks were filled with leaves and blocking the forward drains cleaned them out still same thing then inspected the lens they were splitting and have actually warped over time they are only a few years old but florida sun kills everything
plastic.

another thing to check is the antenna rubber grommet its near the gutter leading to the rear and it can leak there but you can feel in if you pull down the driver side carpet in the trunk and reach up inside see if it has giggle loose and not making a good seal

goodluck

you can try to re-seal the lens but I suspect they are done.

Last edited:
Great thread link. Was very helpful. Figured out based on photos where the 8 bolt gaskets go. Thread didn't explain it but 4 go on the center piece assembly which has 4 bolts and no main gasket. The other 4 go 2 each on the right and left taillight assemblies. Apparently the main gaskets have holes for all the bolts except 2 which just miss the main gaskets and thus need their own mini bolt gasket. Pictures really do help explain things. Thanks a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

if you can see your lens is splitting a new gasket set isn't going to fix it you need a new lens. I figured out the same thing on mine. removed put new gaskets on all 3 lens and then checked the next time I washed and same thing, I then noticed that the forward drains under the trunk shocks were filled with leaves and blocking the forward drains cleaned them out still same thing then inspected the lens they were splitting and have actually warped over time they are only a few years old but florida sun kills everything
plastic.

another thing to check is the antenna rubber grommet its near the gutter leading to the rear and it can leak there but you can feel in if you pull down the driver side carpet in the trunk and reach up inside see if it has giggle loose and not making a good seal

goodluck

you can try to re-seal the lens but I suspect they are done.

Great advice. I will definately check these locations for good seal and cleanliness. You may be right on the lens starting to warp and needing replacement, but I am going to give the clear waterproof silicone sealant a try first. Good enough for windows on your house, might as well try. My gap is not very big as not all the clips broke, only a couple and even then I would say the gap is about 1-2mm.

Appreciate the help and I will get back on whether these things fixed the issue.

Guys,

So I finally got around to finishing up the work and I can say this fixed the condensation in my trunk and inside my taillights. You don't have to replace taillights or drill holes in lens! As you guys suggested I did:

1. Checked and cleaned out all the drain points for trunk. (front near hinge/back drain trench at bumper)
2. Checked for good seal at antenna. (On top at body/below check the rubber boot and at inside trunk)
3. Replaced taillight seal gaskets and bolt gaskets with new.
4. Sealed the "gaps" on my taillight lens pulling away from the enclosure with automotive grade clear silicone sealant.
5. Even though I "dried" the taillights out in my house, upon putting everything back together I still showed a brake light warning. I assume moving from inside my house to back in the garage caused the sensor to identify moisture. So simply pulled the bulbs out of enclosure and took a standard hairdryer to each bulb location for about a min on high heat to do a final dry out. Pop the bulbs back in and zero brake light warning.

IMG_0387.jpgIMG_0388.jpgIMG_0389.jpgIMG_0390.jpgIMG_0391.jpgIMG_0392.jpgIMG_0393.jpg

Hope this helps other people with there water/condensation in trunk and taillights. I would say overall this job was simple just time consuming waiting on parts and doing this for the first time. I ordered from www.oemacuraparts.com which was cheaper than anything else I could find.

Good luck with your own repairs.
Tex

I also used clear silicone to solve my taillight issue. 5 years later with daily use and still fog-free.

Good to hear you got the issue solved.

Back