• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Forget the plane.. Will the helicopter take off?

"A helicopter is attempting to take off, but the turntable it is resting on will match the helicopter's blades' rotation in reverse. Will the helicopter be able to take off?"

Only because you guys had so much fun with my last one. This one may or may not be worded perfectly unlike the last one. You can thank me later or bash in your computer now.

I think the centrifugal force would tear that thing apart before it got anywhere...but it sure would be funny to watch.

Now if it was Airwolf it would be possible. That chopper could do anything. :biggrin:

What if the helicopter had a set of swivel wheels at each corner?

What type of ball bearing are we talking here. I don't want to make any assumptions like in the last thread. I will also need the air temperature, humidity, pilots are and marital status, color of the helichopter............

What type of ball bearing are we talking here. I don't want to make any assumptions like in the last thread. I will also need the air temperature, humidity, pilots are and marital status, color of the helichopter............

Right. My bad. Bearings in wheels are frictionless. The temp. is 41°F, Clear, Wind: NW at 4 mph and Humidity: 67%, 1 pilot (single. split up with his GF because she threw herself down the stairs and blamed him). Helicopter is pink.

Right. My bad. Bearings in wheels are frictionless. The temp. is 41°F, Clear, Wind: NW at 4 mph and Humidity: 67%, 1 pilot (single. split up with his GF because she threw herself down the stairs and blamed him). Helicopter is pink.

Not sure if the helicopter will fly but it is sure good to know that bitch is someone elses problem now.:wink: :biggrin:

This is nothing like the airplane one. If you spin the cabin the opposite way as the blades the blades will not be moving through the air so no lift and no fly.

What if you modify the climate control board to blow air toward the blades at 300 mph?

This is nothing like the airplane one. If you spin the cabin the opposite way as the blades the blades will not be moving through the air so no lift and no fly.

Ah. But will the cabin actually be spinning or will it be a similar situation as the treadmill and the airplane? (with the swivel wheels, that is)

Not sure if the helicopter will fly but it is sure good to know that bitch is someone elses problem now.:wink: :biggrin:

Yup!!! :biggrin:

Ah. But will the cabin actually be spinning or will it be a similar situation as the treadmill and the airplane? (with the swivel wheels, that is)

Up till now I thought nothing of this thread. Now I am going Hmmmm. Interesting. Would the cabin sit still while the turntable and blades spun and hyper speed?

Oh yeah, so what if the helicopter actually did take off and fly, but then it lost power. As the helicopter plummeted to the ground, could you get out, stand on top of it, then at the very last second jump up off the helicopter before it hit the ground and save yourself?

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Lets see how many fall for this one...

And where does the rear rotor come in to play..

Free body diagram? Free your mind, man!

The real question is whether a rotating helicopter body would force air to move around it such that there is still movement of air past the blades! If the body has a CD of zero, the answer is obviously no go.

Is it a twin rotor design like the chinook or is it a min rotor design with a tail rotor? :biggrin:

"A helicopter is attempting to take off, but the turntable it is resting on will match the helicopter's blades' rotation in reverse. Will the helicopter be able to take off?"

This is effectively a helicopter without a tail rotor. No anti-torque which in turn create enough lift for the blades.

... dizzy is an understatement! Depends on helicopter type, around about 200 rpm is the typical helicopter blade rotation speed

Back