• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front shocks installation help !

Is there any links for DIY's shocks installation with picture ?
Got no problem with the rear one, but the front gave me a lot of bruises and cuts when I tried to put the new front shocks back in.
Thanks in advance.
MP

Last edited:
This is a bit messy, but this is what worked for me:
1. thread in the top of the shock using a few threads on each of the retainer bolts/nuts
2. use a floor jack and a Wonder Bar (or a piece of 2x4) that will fit inbetween the jack and lower spring "perch/shoulder". The wonder bar seems to be shaped just right for this job, as it wedges underneath the shock and fits fairly square on a floor jack.
3. A long pry bar wedged in the lower control arm so that it can pull down the entire spindle.
4. Put some pressure on the jack, which causes the shock to compress a little and pull it toward the body of the car. Use the pry bar for fine adjustments so the bolt holes line up

It takes a few tries. There is never enough pressure from the shock to actually cause damage or fly away...if the geometry is lost: the bar just falls to the ground. You only need the total of an inch...

Of course, if you have a spring compressor that will help greatly. That, and a long pry bar in the lower control arm will go a long way.

Drew

I'm surprised that you are having an issue with the front rather than the rear. In any case, what exactly are you having issues with? One thing I found helpful is to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right which gave me much better access of the bottom part of the shock to slide in place. Good luck!

The rear shocks got it within 1/2 hr, but the front so hard to slide the bottom part in, it seems like I have to remove the lower arm control and other parts. I didnt try to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left nor right but I am short about an inch, tried to used the pry bar but still wont help.

ak said:
I'm surprised that you are having an issue with the front rather than the rear. In any case, what exactly are you having issues with? One thing I found helpful is to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right which gave me much better access of the bottom part of the shock to slide in place. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the infos Drew.
MP

drew said:
This is a bit messy, but this is what worked for me:
1. thread in the top of the shock using a few threads on each of the retainer bolts/nuts
2. use a floor jack and a Wonder Bar (or a piece of 2x4) that will fit inbetween the jack and lower spring "perch/shoulder". The wonder bar seems to be shaped just right for this job, as it wedges underneath the shock and fits fairly square on a floor jack.
3. A long pry bar wedged in the lower control arm so that it can pull down the entire spindle.
4. Put some pressure on the jack, which causes the shock to compress a little and pull it toward the body of the car. Use the pry bar for fine adjustments so the bolt holes line up

It takes a few tries. There is never enough pressure from the shock to actually cause damage or fly away...if the geometry is lost: the bar just falls to the ground. You only need the total of an inch...

Of course, if you have a spring compressor that will help greatly. That, and a long pry bar in the lower control arm will go a long way.

Drew

BlKeViL said:
The rear shocks got it within 1/2 hr, but the front so hard to slide the bottom part in, it seems like I have to remove the lower arm control and other parts. I didnt try to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left nor right but I am short about an inch, tried to used the spry bar but still wont help.

OK. I agree with drew. Using a spring compressor will help a lot. Once you compress the springs enough, you can compress the shock much easier to get the clearance. Good luck!

What everyone said, lift both side of the car, and what i found was that if you move that bracket that holes the brake lines all the way on top the shock will clear the suspension parts and go into its place very easily.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in here in case it helps someone in the future;

I had a bugger of a time getting the control arms down enough to get the shocks out (front and rear). Even with my 170 lb son standing and sometimes jumping on the brake/spindle/control arm area, there was too much bind in the bushings to get the arms down enough. I also didn't like putting that much strain on the bushings.

What I did later was use a jack to compress the suspension (placing it under the brake rotor will create more compression than if you put it under the control arm).

With the shock somewhat compressed, I "tied the springs together" with a couple of turnbuckles .... using them like mini spring compressors to hold the springs in their compressed position. My regular spring compressors are too bulky to work while the shock is on the car.

Then, you can lower the jack, and the shock will stay mostly compressed, and THEN the couple of inches of movement that you can get by pressing down on the control arm will be plenty to pull the shock out, because the shock is now shorter.

Do a similar thing to get the new shocks on.

Shackles might work similar to turnbuckles.

Is this worthy of being added to the FAQ?
If so, how does one submit it?

Thanks for the tips. I gave up my first attempt to remove the front shock, but I lifted only one side of the car. I was starting to believe my shock was damaged....

The recent issue of NSX Driver (the NSXCA newsletter mag) has a detailed DIY article on this very subject, written by yours truly. If you don't have it, you can get it by joining the club which is a good idea anyway.

Back