• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Got scammed by a contractor, I got his plate where can I get his info

Long story short, I got scammed by a contractor for $6500 (half deposit). My house got hit by a tornado and since I'm not in Dallas, TX all the time the contractor managed to squeeze out $6500 from my fiance. This was back in April. Back and forth now he's not responding and his phone said it's blocked. I got his Louisiana license plate from his truck. What's a good authentic website I can run his plate. Sent him to small claims and I don't think the city could do much for me and I have send numerous email to my local news.

By the way, his company is called Roofing Systems of America and his name is David Montz. Beware of him if you are in Dallas, TX.

His Louisiana's plate number is W984179 Dark Chevy Truck.

I have his apartment address as well but couldn't do much and I don't think he lives there anymore. Probably just comes to Dallas and scam alot of innocent and unexperienced people like my fiance and I.

Please help my NSX Primers. :mad:

Have you contacted the local PD? Did you get his contractor license #? Contact the BBB?

Jeff

Yes, but only small claims. I don't think the local police could do much for us. I don't even think he has a license. It's stupid how TX doesn't require a contractor to work under a license. Don't think BBB could do much for me as he could come back later and use a different company name and scam more people in Dallas area or the states around here. :frown:

Why not have friend contact him for an estimate on some work & when he shows up you can "remind" him that he owes you? Scammers like a new potential mark & since it will be a new address & phone # he won't be expecting you.

I hear this way more than I should. I cannot stand these crooks out there scamming innocent people. Having said that, perhaps this is a good lesson for a cheap price. I've known people to have been scammed for more than $200K.

Have a strict policy... complete the work then pay. Back ground check with BBB and the state before working with anyone.
Sorry.... I can go on forever about this.

At this point, I don't think anyone can help. I would show up at his door with a couple of guys and insist on payment. After all, it is the wild west.

Good luck my friend.

I deal with contractors all day long for the last few decades. This year is the first time I have ever been scammed. As soon as the guy didn't show up 3 days in a row I called my attorney. He has completed about 1/2 the job approximately what he has been paid for and now I am going to have him arrested. I don't know how yet but I am going to.

Everyone check their local state laws. In CA, contractors are only allowed to take a max $1000 deposit no matter the contract $$. When they deliver the materials/show up for work on the 1st day, then pay as you go but always insist to let the work stay ahead of the payments.

Good luck catching these guys.

Jeff

what's his phone number and apartment address? Did you pay by credit card? Maybe they'll help you out?

Last edited:
Can't stress the importance of finding a good contractor. Check references, ask to see works in progress, ask to see completed works, ask to talk to owners of works in progress and completed works.

I learned this painful lesson recently to the tune of $150K, then another $250K for another contractor to clean up the mess, and re-do it right. :mad:

Can't stress the importance of finding a good contractor. Check references, ask to see works in progress, ask to see completed works, ask to talk to owners of works in progress and completed works.

I learned this painful lesson recently to the tune of $150K, then another $250K for another contractor to clean up the mess, and re-do it right. :mad:

:eek: That's alot of carbon fiber parts from Lithuania! :eek: What were you having built? :eek:

:eek: That's alot of carbon fiber parts from Lithuania! :eek: What were you having built? :eek:

Did a full interior remodel, basically took everything down to the bare frame. Paid about $150K for a job never finished. Got fed up with waiting for it to be finished, and all the excuses, so I called in a new guy. New team found many things with shoddy workmanship, some things not up to code. The city got wind of the non-up-to-code things, and sent an inspector out, and are going through everything with a fine tooth comb, and leaving nothing untouched. The entire project had to be brought back down to bare frame, and an architect and structural engineer had to be hired to satisfy the city (about $50K). The re-do of the project is going to be around $200K.

:mad::frown:

Needless to say, I scrutinized the new team *very* carefully, asked all the pointed questions, and was not afraid to come across as an a$$hole when initially talking to them.

Original guy was a friend of a friend, so I did not check references or do any due diligence. Big mistake.

Last edited:
In CA they are licensed by either the Department of Consumer Affairs or the State Contractor's Licensing Board. If you lodge a complaint in CA they will investigate it and take the appropriate licensing action.

I hear this way more than I should. I cannot stand these crooks out there scamming innocent people. Having said that, perhaps this is a good lesson for a cheap price. I've known people to have been scammed for more than $200K.

Have a strict policy... complete the work then pay. Back ground check with BBB and the state before working with anyone.
Sorry.... I can go on forever about this.

At this point, I don't think anyone can help. I would show up at his door with a couple of guys and insist on payment. After all, it is the wild west.

Good luck my friend.

Getting scammed by a contractor or mechanic really sucks. There is little practical recourse and that is very, very unfortunate. The fact is that small claims court is somewhat of a joke in many states and the losing party can withhold payment for years.

Once it goes beyond small claims it gets even harder and more expensive to sue.

A good example related to cars is a guy like John Hennessey who has bilked people for hundreds of thousands of dollars. He's still in business and people still send their Vipers over to him all the time. It's nearly impossible to shut guys like this down or actually force them to pay.

Sending Guido over to visit him might not be ethical but it often proves effective...

A little contraband in the back of his truck and a call to the local PD should keep him tied up for a while. :wink:

You know what pisses me off even more.....HE USE TO BE THE CAPTAIN OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT:mad::mad::mad::mad: Who'd a thunk it a cop that's a crook!

I don't think the local police could do much for us.

Really? I think you are wrong. What if he has done this to others? What if they already know about him? What if they have his plate number and can work with local PD in LA to talk to him?

PLEASE call the police and file a report.

As a licensed contactor myself....the BBB is a joke...IF anyone ever complains about you, the BBB gives you the opportunity to "correct" the negatives by paying them....don’t waste your time with that..i gave up on spending money for thier approval long ago

Only hire licensed and check out if they have any complaints....that matter. And old lady saying her house smelled like new paint to 2 days, when that’s what was done doesn’t count...

no license, means no insurance, means they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by skipping..

depending on the size of the project deposit is required...not 50% but something. there are just as many bad clients as bad contactors....

Good luck

Last edited:
Really? I think you are wrong. What if he has done this to others? What if they already know about him? What if they have his plate number and can work with local PD in LA to talk to him?

PLEASE call the police and file a report.

I would think small claims are the same as police? Should I call the Police and report him?

As a licensed contactor myself....the BBB is a joke...IF anyone ever complains about you, the BBB gives you the opportunity to "correct" the negatives by paying them....don’t waste your time with that..i gave up on spending money for thier approval long ago

Only hire licensed and check out if they have any complaints....that matter. And old lady saying her house smelled like new paint to 2 days, when that’s what was done doesn’t count...

no license, means no insurance, means they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by skipping..

depending on the size of the project deposit is required...not 50% but something. there are just as many bad clients as bad contactors....

Good luck

I think BBB's a joke. He can just come back and use a different name and scam others.

In CA they are licensed by either the Department of Consumer Affairs or the State Contractor's Licensing Board. If you lodge a complaint in CA they will investigate it and take the appropriate licensing action.

I heard CA have State Contractor Boards but in TX, they don't even need a license. What a stupid law.

what's his phone number and apartment address? Did you pay by credit card? Maybe they'll help you out?

We paid by personal check and cash it that day under his name. Don't think the bank could release any info on him. "Maybe they'll help you out?"<< Who's they?

I want to run his plate online to get more of his info, but there are so many sites and I don't feel like to get scammed again on some foolish fake plate sites. Just want to know if anybody uses any good site to run plates and they are detailed. Thank you guys for your help and support.

This is our full story if anybody is interested to read about it: http://www.zillow.com/forum/site/ViewThread.htm?tid=36040 :mad:

We paid by personal check and cash it that day under his name. Don't think the bank could release any info on him. "Maybe they'll help you out?"<< Who's they?

Sorry, I meant if you paid by credit card and you have an issue with whatever company you paid, they can usually help you fight it.

Sorry, I meant if you paid by credit card and you have an issue with whatever company you paid, they can usually help you fight it.

I wish, I thought bank's could help you out but unfortunately Citi couldnt do anything for us. Any advice from anybody who also got scammed by contractor please help me or give me some advice.

Back