• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Greasy drip next to oil drain plug?

Haven't driven the car much at all this year, went to do an oil change on it, and noticed a small, greasy looking drip to the passenger side of the oil drain plug in the pan.

The source of the drip is coming from ABOVE the pan (it's not the oil pan gasket, although that has started sweating and is on the to-do shortlist). I cannot trace exactly where it's coming from, and nothing visible from above the engine in that area. It's quite thick/viscous, more like grease than oil.

See the attached rather awkward pic shot from under the rear passenger wheel with red circles indicating the two areas it's naturally fallen...

I have 2 theories but wondered what you much smarter folks think rather than steer the convo.

drip.jpg

drip2.jpg

Last edited:
Was hoping that's what the braintrust would say. Was told that passenger side cracks first due to heat, best to do all 4 at the same time I suppose, don't see the crack/tear in the boot but it must be there and really small... Thanks for the help!

if there is no tear on the boot, you can try tightening the metal band. it is probably leaking from there as the rubber on the boot hardened over time and no longer sealing properly. The grease also became thinner over time and easier to seep out.

Was hoping that's what the braintrust would say. Was told that passenger side cracks first due to heat, best to do all 4 at the same time I suppose, don't see the crack/tear in the boot but it must be there and really small... Thanks for the help!

This is a pretty typical failure. The grease, due to heat, brakes down and becomes very liquid. Best thing to do is rebuild the right axle, and replace both boots, and it will be fine. The boot kits come with new grease and all clamps needed, about $30 per boot kit - 42017-SL0-020.

HTH,
LarryB

This is a pretty typical failure. The grease, due to heat, brakes down and becomes very liquid. Best thing to do is rebuild the right axle, and replace both boots, and it will be fine. The boot kits come with new grease and all clamps needed, about $30 per boot kit - 42017-SL0-020.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks on the part #. I have the exact same issue as the O.P

Back