• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group buy for custom leather seats

Thanks for post. I was wondering if anyone looked at the pics. They really don't do it justice.

Your right, it is not as tight as the factory, but I think my installer might have done very well given what he had to work with. They are a little puffier than stock. But I actually prefer it as there seems to be more cushion. Perhaps I lucked out a got a guy that was really good on the install. If you want to give him a call his name is Dan and his phone number is 503-345-9596 X999. Maybe he can give you some other advice. Props to Morgan at Portland Acura for the referral.

Thanks for the feedback isonsx. It was fun deciding what to do on the headrest. I bet your NSX logo looks really good.

I also had him resurface the steering wheel. With that done and the new seats the car looks years younger on the inside.

Maybe I am just not as picky as others but, I am very satisfied how this group buy turned out.

How much did they charge you to install?

This redneck ass here wants to charge me $300. NWLeather said that was laughable...

NetViper said:
How much did they charge you to install?

This redneck ass here wants to charge me $300. NWLeather said that was laughable...

I paid $120 for installation after I pulled the seats and took them to the shop -3 hours at $40 per hour. The guy I used does all of the Acura dealer's work and is considered by many people I know to do very good work. He did say he had to work the leather pretty good to get the best fit possible. I asked him on a scale of 1-10 how he thought the kit fit and he said 6 :rolleyes: I really think it more like a 7-8 but in no way is it a 10 or compariable to new leather from a fit perspective. Afterwards, I looked in my 2004 MDX and the leater in that in not perfect either (I noticed some subtle pulling in the back seat).

seats

Here's mine. Did them myself. It takes work to make any seat cover fit correctly. These are much better then most that I have seen or installed before and that includes many OEM seat covers.
I am thinking of buying a new car and the MDX is one of them.They are not perfect either.
The pictures make the red color a little lighter and pinker than they really are.

ISONSX said:
I paid $120 for installation after I pulled the seats and took them to the shop -3 hours at $40 per hour.

Did you strip the seats first, or give them to them fully covered?

These guys are crazy here wanting $300!

NetViper said:
Did you strip the seats first, or give them to them fully covered?

These guys are crazy here wanting $300!

Just unbolted them and took them to the shop with the original leather still on there. They stripped the old leather off and installed the new leather.

Hello Everyone!
Door panels were shipped and I have provided everyone who emailed me with a tracking number.

Jeff: Thanks for the help!!

ISONSX: If you could take some pics and send them to me, we could tell you exactly what was wrong with the install, because I can guarantee you it is not the covers. If it wrinkles in ANY places, that means that the covers need to be adjusted slightly and possible pulled and tugged a little.

We would love to see some more pics of the finished product from some of you!

Cheers
Kim

My new seats....

I just got my covers today and the leather is beautiful!! Not grainy at all in my opinion..... soft and smooth .. ;)

And nothing beats that new leather smell...

I can't wait to have them installed!

It looks like it was well worth the wait....

Joel 91 Black/Ivory

Somehow i didnt know there was a GB for the leather seats..

So i missed out.. I contacted Kim, and she said she can not honor GB pricing because "it would be unfair to all those who participated"..

well, i guess i might have to wait for next GB ..

-jjc.

Six hours sounds a little heavy but if they do a first class job and it means dropping off the car and getting it back with the covers installed then it really isn't that bad at $300.00. A little high but not way out of line IMO.
Having the tool to shrink fit the cover as needed and add padding for old tired seat foam where it is needed it is yet another thing to consider when choosing a install shop. Having new seat foam is really the ultimate but, mamma mia that is VERY expensive on this car.
Foam shrinks and compresses over time.
It took me a little over 4 1/2 hours from start to finish on my NSX.
I have done many seats before on a variety of cars. It's not about speed but patience and taking your time to do a really nice job. Speed is what you want when you hit the gas. Patience and care is what you want in this job.
Most seats are much easier than the NSX and the average time allowed for most cars is about usually 2 hours per seat and that does not include R&I of the seat from the car. Most seats are not four pieces per seat and the wings/bolsters on the NSX are a bit unique.
If you have such a low opinion of a person that you feel it warrants refrerring to them as a "redneck ass" you should look elsewhere for a installer you can have some respect for.

Some opinions. So far I have not installed my new leather so no opinions on fit yet. To me the leather is of good quality. It appears to be a bit coarser than stock, but to me it is a welcome change. I (unlike many of you) have no love for my stock leather. However, the previous owner did little to protect its suppleness from the Florida sun so my leather may have degraded much quicker than others. The stitching is superb and consistant. Despite being told that my order was held back because someone had inadvertantly rubbed blue ink on my leather, I still found traces of the blue ink on the white of my headrest. Not much, not very noticeable, but then again I was looking for it when it came to my doorstep. I was told the part had to be remade, but it looks as though it was just cleaned up. Not fact, just a guess I have.

My big issue here is the side bolster and arm rest. I thought that I had waited my fair share of time for the side bolster/arm rest. It came as a surprise to me that the bolster was not prefabricated for instalation. I thought that this was to be done for us, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong, what the heck took so long? Why not just send a swath large enough to cut the pieces out of for the bolster and save the wait?:confused: I will look again tomorrow, but I didn't see anything there for the arm rests either. Also, I have asked 3 different times for extra white vinyl so that I may wrap other pieces, but have not received any as of yet (however I did receive black by mistake once).

I would like to point out that I am not dissatisfied. In fact I am quite happy with what I have. My concern is that this company did not seem prepared for the impact that us NSXers would have, both positive and negative. It makes me wonder how many others they are trying to take care of at the same time. The good thing is that they seem to care about their customers. I believe that all my concerns will be taken care of by Steve and NWAL. The question is how long will it take? I will continue to report back.

Any others with the armrest issue?

Juice said:
The good thing is that they seem to care about their customers. I believe that all my concerns will be taken care of by Steve and NWAL. The question is how long will it take? I will continue to report back.

hmm...I am still waiting for Steve to return my call from a month ago ;)

My seats look great!

I had my seat covers installed last week and they look great! The leather is smooth with very little grain. The installer even commented on how well made the covers are. He pointed out where the OEM covers were single stiched, compared to the new ones having double stiching.

I will post some pictures later today. While I understand that many here have had problems with their covers, I for one am very happy with the quality and the service I received from Steve and Kim.

And nothing beats that new leather smell.... ahhhh.. :D

Joel 91 Black/New Ivory Leather :p

Re: My seats look great!

JSMDMD said:
I had my seat covers installed last week and they look great!

Joel 91 Black/New Ivory Leather :p

How much did you pay for the install?

The payment...

I paid $350 for both seats. Sounds high from what I have been reading here, but the shop is used by Valencia Acura for all of their new cars, and they vouched for them. So I bit the bullet and paid the extra bucks to have their recommended shop do it. I figured that if I am going to do this once every 10 yrs, I will do it right.
And the installation seems to have been done very well..

$350 doesn't sound bad for a well done install of these covers.
Is that before or after sales tax and does it include R&I of the seats from the car?

I think if by R&I you mean removal and installation, the answer would have to be yes... No way anyone could remove the old leather and install the new with the seats in the car...

Don

:D LoL.
I love the picture of someone trying to change the covers with the seats in the car :) Good one.
Thanks, I needed that.:D

Not yet, but Kim shot me a note saying it went out last Saturday and I would expect it here pretty soon... Anxious to get it in there and complete the transformation!

I know that some of the others have already gotten theirs.

Don

Back