• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group buy for custom leather seats

Did anyone else have to give a social security number to get the seat covers package through customs?

Something about that is VERY suspicious, has anyone experienced this before?

When I received mine, they were apparently shipped from this side of the border, so there was nothing international about it. So no SS number was required on my part. I would be suspicious of that too!

For those of you who like the great smell of leather (and I sure do), here's a link to some conditioning products that add that smell. Your cockpit smells like a leather factory after you use this stuff! The kit even comes with a spray that provides the odor after the conditioning lotion smell subsides.

It's called Leather Care from Griot's Garage. It's not a "high tech" conditioning solution, it's apparently scented lanolin. Boy does it smell great though. Here's a link to it http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11535

If you've got perforated leather, you need to apply conditioning lotions carefully so you don't glop up the holes. Apply a small amount to your hands, rub them together, and then on the seat. For non perforated, you can go for broke and apply all you want, the excess will wipe off.

White94 said:
Did anyone else have to give a social security number to get the seat covers package through customs?

Something about that is VERY suspicious, has anyone experienced this before?

Yes, I did. I understand your fear. Having my credit card number and my SS# is a concern. That coupled with the fact that they are accross the border. But here we are suffering post 9-11 artifacts complaining about stiff security. The more security we are shown, the more info we must give, the more vulnerable we feel. Growing up in a perpetual 1984.

Juice said:
Yes, I did. I understand your fear. Having my credit card number and my SS# is a concern. That coupled with the fact that they are accross the border.
Exactly my fears, thanks for putting me a little at ease.

Juice said:
But here we are suffering post 9-11 artifacts complaining about stiff security. The more security we are shown, the more info we must give, the more vulnerable we feel. Growing up in a perpetual 1984.
I couldn't agree more. I feel like I have another couple years until I get a barcode on my forehead.

White94 said:
I feel like I have another couple years until I get a barcode on my forehead.

Your way behind. Infants are already receiving microchip plants. The aliens will soon have nothing left to do as we will all be broadcasting our bio's into outer space every 1/1000 of a second to be recorded in a continuing binary log. All for our protection of course.;)

Got my seat covers today. Anyone know a good installer in Memphis or Nashville?

I saw my CC was charged 3/12 and I still don't have my seat covers....

How long has it taken you guys to get yours after your CC was billed?

NetViper said:
I saw my CC was charged 3/12 and I still don't have my seat covers....

How long has it taken you guys to get yours after your CC was billed?

Mine was charged about the same time, and my seats got here last Wed. I think I got a similar setup to yours (black/black perf)

I was considering ordering this product until I had the following email conversations with Kim regarding my thoughts on some leather samples they sent me. I have talked with Steve a lot and seems cool, but Kim gets on my nerves..:

To: 'Kim'
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 09:23
Subject: RE: Leather samples

Spoke to Steven already thanks. The leather is too grainy and rough for my taste. Was hoping for leather more similar to the stock leather in the NSX, which is much smoother. I understand you are saying that it became smooth from wear and tear, but I don't think that is the case as the leather on my door inserts have zero wear and tear and are smooth, soft and supple. Steven is trying to get me the leather that comes on the new Infiniti (Nissan) products. Still waiting to hear back from him. Thanks in advance.

Jack

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 9:43 AM
To: Jack
Subject: Re: Leather samples

I believe your door panels are smoother because it is vinyl. We had some older NSX seats in here and checked out the spots where the leather was not worn, and it had alot of grain.

Cheers

Kim

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 09:52

My door inserts are leather. I also checked my seats in areas where they were never used and it is smooth as butter. The leather on the NSX is not grainy at all. In fact, I visited some dealers this weekend to see which leather to request with you guys. I decided on the Infiniti leather, but also saw a new NSX at Acura. The leather was not grainy what so ever. So you tell me.

Jack

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 9:56 AM

Well, I guess I'm confused then, because I looked right at the leather on the NSX and saw the difference, but none of this matters. You are now dealing with Steven and I hope everything goes well!!!

Cheers

Kim

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 10:19

Don't know who is confused, but I look at this interior every day....Pretty confident on this end.

Jack

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 10:29 AM

That's great. I'll have my eyes checked. The NSX guys were the first to ever have a problem with the grain, and I think most of it came from one guy which made everyone else worry. Either way, our leather is of the best quality and Mercedes and BMW also seem to be happy with it, but Steven will get you what you want and is always happy to help. You have a great day!!

Kim

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 10:36

I am not arguing the quality of the leather. However it is a style preference. People who drive Mercedes and BMW are happy with all the wood grain trim in their interior, but doesn't mean I want that in my NSX either ;)

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 10:39 AM

Good for you, I hope you're happy with whatever you choose. I do not have the time to argue, so please do not email me anymore as I have work to do.

Kim

supra2nv said:
I was considering ordering this product until I had the following email conversations with Kim regarding my thoughts on some leather samples they sent me. I have talked with Steve a lot and seems cool, but Kim gets on my nerves..:

[/COLOR]

No offense Jack, but your messages can be read as snotty and rude as well. Why you kept writing Kim even after she prompted you to take it up with Steven is beyond my comprehension, and obviously hers. If Steven was the man to go to, all emails with Kim should have been put in check. You seem to have persisted to point of picking a fight.

Emails (and forum threads!) hold no personal inflection or sway. They are unpersonable and can be taken out of context. My paragraph above can be taken as rude or at "face" value. But since there is no "face" involved, it will likely be taken as rude. If you think Kim was the only one responding negative in the emails, you need to do a double take on what you sent to her in your emails.

supra2nv said:
I was considering ordering this product until I had the following email conversations with Kim regarding my thoughts on some leather samples they sent me....

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 10:29 AM

That's great. I'll have my eyes checked. The NSX guys were the first to ever have a problem with the grain, and I think most of it came from one guy which made everyone else worry. ...
Kim

That would be me. :D

I'd like to think I was doing a service to those who have not yet ordered, not just complaining for the sake of making trouble.

I'll agree that you kept after her a bit long, but I totally understand why and might well have done the same. Despit her cheery demeanor she managed an obvious superior "you dumb ass" jab in every response and it can be difficult to let that fly when you know she is dead wrong about something that is important to you and probably others. Unless you drill it into her head she is guaranteed to misinform others. BTW, I'll take it as a compliment that the NSX guys are the first to have an issue with the grain.

sjs said:
That would be me. :D
I'll agree that you kept after her a bit long, but I totally understand why and might well have done the same. Despit her cheery demeanor she managed an obvious superior "you dumb ass" jab in every response and it can be difficult to let that fly when you know she is dead wrong about something that is important to you and probably others. Unless you drill it into her head she is guaranteed to misinform others.

Exactly why I kept on her case, and why I won't be ordering. I am not upset at her saying "do not email me anymore." It is more her attitude throughout the emails. Her comments are subtle, but very annoying. Hence why I also had a snooty tone in my message. At the end of the day, we all know she is wrong about both the OEM grain and door inserts being vinyl...but she keeps standing her ground.

One more thing, I asked for leather samples before this whole grain issue came up. The reason why I asked was because I bought replacement leather from www.leatherseats.com for my former supra. Although I liked it very much, that leather had more grain than I would like in my NSX, hence my caution this time around as I don't want that look in my NSX.

One comment about the leather samples I received. I don't know what the true FACT about the grain is, but my OPINION is that it is artificially stamped. Reminds me of Pergo for leather seats!

Jack

Juice said:
No offense Jack, but your messages can be read as snotty and rude as well.

No offense taken what so ever. And I agree 100% that my emails were snotty, but it was more of a retaliation than anything...sorry about that.

In installed my seat covers this weekend (black/black perf) and I am very happy with the results. The leather is exactly as advertised, the install went well, and I get that SMELL. Yummy.

FWIW, the grain is more prevalent than OEM, but blends wonderfully with the interior. I think I actually prefer it that way.

I got my seats today. The are grainy, for sure, but I think they look ok. I am waiting for steven to give me the name of an installer in my area. So far he has told me 3 times that he would call me and let me know. No word so far. I will call again tomorrow.

Honestly, I wish they were smoother, but I think they will be fine. Our 2004 TL has MUCH nicer leather in it.

NetViper said:
Honestly, I wish they were smoother, but I think they will be fine. Our 2004 TL has MUCH nicer leather in it.

The dealer sent me an e-mail inquiry regarding my interest in another group buy. I asked about the grain issue and she said that if you just continue to use Lexol conditioner that the grain would eventually smooth out. Any thoughts on this or am I the only she made this recommendation to?

NetViper said:
I am waiting for steven to give me the name of an installer in my area. So far he has told me 3 times that he would call me and let me know. No word so far. I will call again tomorrow.

I am also waiting for his call regarding the Infiniti leather:) It has been two weeks and no phone call yet. I was assuming he didn't call back because of my negative comments earlier. Actually, I am surprised they didn't try to redeem themselves on here somehow. Would have been nice. Ehh...the world keeps spinning:)

About the leather texture...no comment ;) Let's just say I would rather have my 7 year old OEM leather in my car...no offense to anyone.

Jack

Got my leather the other day, and got it on the frames on Sunday night. What grain? The fit isn't original (at this point I'm ready to swear that Honda must "form fit" their leather, I can't imagine how else they'd get it to fit so smoothly around the curves.) but it's very smooth and looks great. A bit of dimpling on the external seat frame portion, but I can live with that. The padding is better, the leather is softer, I got the colors I wanted the way I wanted them, and an honest price.

For those concerned about the grain, I believe it will gradually wear smooth. Matter of personal taste, I guess.

Don

Hello Everyone!
I just thought I'd come on and mention that everyone's door panels will be shipped tommorow, and if any of you would like a tracking number to please email me as I no longer have any of you on file! We greatly appreciate you patience, and I apologize for everything taking so long. We are a small company which is growing rapidly and we are trying to keep up! Once again, we greatly appreciate your patience and if you could please send me pics of the finished product I would love to show off the custom work on our website!
Cheers
Kim

Once people get their door panels, I'd like to get clarifcation on how far they extend. On the first page, if you look at the picture on DonDavis's post (from the NWAuto website), it covers a lot more area than the one below it from Jeff A.

This grain thing has me a little concerned, but I think I'm going to go ahead and place an order. I wish I had checked here for the group buy earlier -- ah well!

Yes, I chose to do only the center 3 panels in each door, instead of all 5. I did receive enough leather to do all 5. I wanted it to be same sort of red accent "in the center", to hopefully better match the seats.

For me, the grain is not a problem. It better matches the vinyl dashboard and doors, which are heavily grained.

I took the car to a car show today, and got a lot of compliments on the seats, especially from the other NSX owners. I'm sure I got at least 1 more customer for NWLeather, too (did you hear that, Homer?)

Jeff

racerX said:

John,
This looks GREAT!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I had mine professionally installed. I can say from talking to others as well that I think the fit could be a little better, especially in the bolster areas. If you go back and look at some other pictures, the fit isn't exactly what I would call perfect. In fact, I was very disappointed when I picked them up from the installer. We are a picky bunch but we should be - this is our passion.

The graininess is a little disappointing but the leather quality is very good. I did a black tone on tone "NSX" on my headrest with dark gray outlines, black with perf leather like yours and red stitching. After I had the covers installed, the bolsters were a little too loose for my taste in some spots. Plus, I was unimpressed with the three "strips" of leather that are between the seat back and the base that connect to the bolsters. There need to be much more padding to keep the form like the original seats.

My installer sugggested to mist the leather with water, rub them out, and put them in the sunlight to heat up and possible contract. They did contract a bit, but they are still not as tight as they should be in my opinion.

Back