• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gt350

I'm not inclined to buy a GT350 but I have found it interesting to read about the design. This is not your father's flat-plane crankshaft. Unlike Ferrari V8 crankshafts (and unlike those in American V8s a century ago), the GT350 crank isn't like that of an inline-4 with journals at 0-180-180-0. Instead it's 0-180-0-180, which is reported to have helped simplify the intake design.

fp.jpg

This isn't earth-shaking, just perhaps of interest to the technically-minded.

The only real reason I would consider the GT350 is that it's new, and I'd have it from new.

I'd have to drive a new GT350 before I'd commit. And like a dealer is going to let me do that. Um, probably, no.

I often think that in situations like this for myself: newness fades, so I've learned to think real hard before ever buying just for newness unless I'm ready to keep doing so every 2-4 years. :) The huge step-up in performance from an NSX sure could be intoxicating, but I'd want to be assured I'm using that performance often enough to be worth it. Me, I know I'm hammering on a car a small % of time but I'm sitting and looking out the windshield 100% of the time. As a former Ford engineer, I was curious about the Mustangs around 2007 and the last one I drove as a rental on a work trip in 2007 felt rather huge and boat-like. Taste-testing it was really worth it, as even if it had 2016 NSX-level of performance at the time, I didn't feel the least bit sporty sitting in it let alone driving it. But that was two iterations ago.

Your car your money. I drove one and its nice but would never even consider selling/trading my NSX for one.

BUT if cockpit feel has changed for the better in current iteration, even more reason for me to agree with @Nukem FWIW: do what you feel, don't look back! :)

(This is where I'd say YOLO if it were 2010).

Last edited:
I often think that in situations like this for myself: newness fades, so I've learned to think real hard before ever buying just for newness unless I'm ready to keep doing so every 2-4 years. :) The huge step-up in performance from an NSX sure could be intoxicating, but I'd want to be assured I'm using that performance often enough to be worth it. Me, I know I'm hammering on a car a small % of time but I'm sitting and looking out the windshield 100% of the time. As a former Ford engineer, I was curious about the Mustangs around 2007 and the last one I drove as a rental on a work trip in 2007 felt rather huge and boat-like. Taste-testing it was really worth it, as even if it had 2016 NSX-level of performance at the time, I didn't feel the least bit sporty sitting in it let alone driving it. But that was two iterations ago.

BUT if cockpit feel has changed for the better in current iteration, even more reason for me to agree with @Nukem FWIW: do what you feel, don't look back! :)

(This is where I'd say YOLO if it were 2010).

When I mentioned that it would be new, it wasn't new as in most current design; I meant I'd have it from new, as in I would be its first caretaker. The only regret I have about my NSX is that I bought it after two other owners had it. It was well-cared for - if you view it as how you'd care for a daily driver the average joe owns. But as a specialty car, man, it could have been better looked after.

I still have the '94 Miata I bought new, and even though it has 92,000 miles, it looks as good as the day I brought it home, with very minor exceptions here and there. The attraction of purchasing a new GT350 for me is that it would be cared for very, very well, even if I were to keep it 20 years (assuming I live that long).

I did visit my local Ford dealer last month and was told that all six of that dealer's 2016 allocation was sold, and the some dealers are asking non-refundable $10,000 deposits. While he didn't go as far as saying that dealership is requiring that, he did indicate they're hard to get. And I'm certainly not going to risk that much $$ if I can't drive it first. What if it's a wonderful driver's car . . . but I still prefer driving the NSX? That's certainly possible, so unless I can get to drive one first, there's no way I'm putting up $10k on something I may regret. (Of course I could probably flip it if I really didn't like it and likely I wouldn't lose any money - but I'd have to sell the NSX first, which I am not inclined to do. The cash is sitting in the retirement accounts but try selling THAT idea to the better half. LOL)

When I mentioned that it would be new, it wasn't new as in most current design; I meant I'd have it from new, as in I would be its first caretaker. The only regret I have about my NSX is that I bought it after two other owners had it. It was well-cared for - if you view it as how you'd care for a daily driver the average joe owns. But as a specialty car, man, it could have been better looked after.

I still have the '94 Miata I bought new, and even though it has 92,000 miles, it looks as good as the day I brought it home, with very minor exceptions here and there. The attraction of purchasing a new GT350 for me is that it would be cared for very, very well, even if I were to keep it 20 years (assuming I live that long).

I did visit my local Ford dealer last month and was told that all six of that dealer's 2016 allocation was sold, and the some dealers are asking non-refundable $10,000 deposits. While he didn't go as far as saying that dealership is requiring that, he did indicate they're hard to get. And I'm certainly not going to risk that much $$ if I can't drive it first. What if it's a wonderful driver's car . . . but I still prefer driving the NSX? That's certainly possible, so unless I can get to drive one first, there's no way I'm putting up $10k on something I may regret. (Of course I could probably flip it if I really didn't like it and likely I wouldn't lose any money - but I'd have to sell the NSX first, which I am not inclined to do. The cash is sitting in the retirement accounts but try selling THAT idea to the better half. LOL)

I can definitely understand about owning since new, I can respect that. :) I bought a 1-owner NSX that was in better condition than most any new car, and that was completely worth the search/wait. Have you driven the current Mustang iteration around for a few days and found its overall feel to be very appealing, even if "just" a GT version? I'm asking mostly because I'm curious if the cockpit feel has improved since 2007. If so, then a GT350 should be all the better, no? I'm not an "if it ain't an NSX it's crap" kind of guy but if money kind of matters and if the GT350 doesn't work out, then heck: sell your current NSX and pay up for a pristine 1-owner NSX for $10-15k more. :) I know little about GT350 potential appreciation but at least with the NSX, if you pay market rates, you're almost guaranteed for that $10-15k to be money in the bank that won't depreciate ha ha.

The new Mustang's proportions sure are nice though, much better than the Camaro or Challenger IMHO.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I rented a Mustang this past summer and it was not a GT, it was a V6 automatic. It was a fine car but nothing to write home about. I am sure a GT with a six speed would be more representative. No conclusions could be drawn from the V6. I did not dismiss the Mustang based on that experience but I wouldn't buy one based on it either.

I rented a Mustang this past summer and it was not a GT, it was a V6 automatic. It was a fine car but nothing to write home about. I am sure a GT with a six speed would be more representative. No conclusions could be drawn from the V6. I did not dismiss the Mustang based on that experience but I wouldn't buy one based on it either.

Good deal, I was just curious over what you thought and felt being in the car, whether it felt great and you wanted more, or not. I'm living vicariously thru you since I haven't even sat in the newest Mustang yet; I miss being able to drive new car test mules years before they're introduced! There are some cars I'll sit in and have zero interest in driving let alone buying if I don't feel comfortable in it, and there are others that I know I instantly want the moment I plop down & grip the wheel. The 90's 300ZX and NSX were two I instantly felt at home in and eventually bought, needless to say. :)

Good deal, I was just curious over what you thought and felt being in the car, whether it felt great and you wanted more, or not. I'm living vicariously thru you since I haven't even sat in the newest Mustang yet; I miss being able to drive new car test mules years before they're introduced! There are some cars I'll sit in and have zero interest in driving let alone buying if I don't feel comfortable in it, and there are others that I know I instantly want the moment I plop down & grip the wheel. The 90's 300ZX and NSX were two I instantly felt at home in and eventually bought, needless to say. :)

At the risk of perpetuating this thread and making it even more of a candidate to be moved to "Off Topic", I'll give a brief summary of my impressions. All my comments have to be viewed in context of a rental car V6 model, not those of an assumedly much nicer and better equipped GT350.

- The interior materials are just so-so. I am used to Honda products where leather, or even cloth and interior plastic bits, switchgear, and the like, look and feel better, at least to my eyes and fingers.
- The seating position was good. The view out was good. I felt comfortable in the driver's seat right away. Again, these were the base seats, not the optional Recaros or the even more exclusive GT350 or R seats. I'll not comment on things like Sync since you can go online for such comments, and ability to connect to the internet or make a phone call probably isn't a priority in a GT350.
- The driving experience was pretty good. Of course, it was hampered by the slushbox, and the motor was a little peaky, but again, neither of these comments would apply to the 5.2 flat-plane crank or a six-speed.
- The ride was a little harsher than I expected but tolerable. Again, probably does not transfer over to a GT350 or an R model, and especially either with the magnetically-adjusting shocks.
- Feel was pretty good. Brake feel was good, steering feel was OK. But not like the manual steering in my NSX. Again, might not translate to the GT350.

Hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here. I don't think I can give you any evaluation of the Mustang I drove as a basis for what any of us might think about the GT350 without having to qualify every statement. (Sorry, my imagination of worthwhile things I can extract from having driven the V6 is not terrible expansive.) The small stuff counts. And the plethora of large stuff, the parts thrown at the GT350 can very much make a mediocre car a great one. I would hesitate to call the V6 Mustang I drove "mediocre"; it was better than that, but this exercise might be a bit futile. Hell, even something as subtle as alignment settings and tire pressures can really wake up a car's driving experience, or destroy it, so I think we might not want to try to project my impressions onto the GT350. Not fair to the engineers.

Hope this helps, although I suspect maybe not.

At the risk of perpetuating this thread and making it even more of a candidate to be moved to "Off Topic", I'll give a brief summary of my impressions. All my comments have to be viewed in context of a rental car V6 model, not those of an assumedly much nicer and better equipped GT350.

Hope this helps, although I suspect maybe not.

You say that as if I was painfully dragging something out of you. :)

I was curious why you said that, then I looked up to the top and realized you weren't the one who started this thread, d'oh! Here I'm just responding to a fun car talk thread and wondering why is the 0P so hesitant to respond, ha ha. Oh well. As far as digging for your impressions from sitting in it, I was just curious if you instantly felt at home and wanted more or if you weren't that thrilled. That's a quick easy test as to whether I should pursue a car or not, at least for me. As much as I'd like to own a Ford GT one day, the first time I sat in a test mule at work I felt more claustrophobic than anything else and that was really deflating. However, it was full of a bunch of instrumentation and the seats were nonstandard, so I'll await my second chance to get in a finished one someday. Anyway, ha ha, thanks for the response. No reason why discussing driving impressions of the current family of mustangs that the 350 is from can't be relevant to be the OP's question.

Just got my GT350 with the Tech package yesterday with 4 miles on the ODO. Drove it for 25 miles to get home. First impressions: 1) the motor is sweet; S2000 and NSX sweet (remarkably similar to both motors, IMHO), 2) the interior is made of lightweight, but durable materials, 3) the ride via the MagneRide shocks is selectable normal (very comfortable) or sport (similar to the S2000 ride), 4) the steering is smooth and immediate and the feedback is good, 5) the brakes/aluminum wheel combo is amazing and visually awe-striking, 6) the engine gauge package is awesome, 7) the electronics and audio systems are top-of-the line. Overall, its a large vehicle compared to the S2000 and NSX and that makes it visually impressive by comparison. I'd buy it again.

Just got my GT350 with the Tech package yesterday with 4 miles on the ODO. Drove it for 25 miles to get home. First impressions: 1) the motor is sweet; S2000 and NSX sweet (remarkably similar to both motors, IMHO), 2) the interior is made of lightweight, but durable materials, 3) the ride via the MagneRide shocks is selectable normal (very comfortable) or sport (similar to the S2000 ride), 4) the steering is smooth and immediate and the feedback is good, 5) the brakes/aluminum wheel combo is amazing and visually awe-striking, 6) the engine gauge package is awesome, 7) the electronics and audio systems are top-of-the line. Overall, its a large vehicle compared to the S2000 and NSX and that makes it visually impressive by comparison. I'd buy it again.

keep us updated...will you be tracking it? also what tires come with it?

If you had anything to do with the 2005/2006 Ford GT...THANK you for your service!

The main impact I had on the Ford GT was to not become close friends with Ford's current SVT head, Jamaal Hameedi. when we hired in to Ford together out of college around the same year. Who knows, had we become friends, I may have convinced him what a great city Pittsburgh is and to consider working there when I left Detroit in the early 00's.

So, no problem, you're welcome!

Dr. JL - glad to hear your feedback. Looking forward to future comments/updates.

All GT350s come with Super Sports. R's come with Cup 2s.

would you do anything to the R before pushing it on open track days? or is it well sorted from the factory?

I recently purchased a new 2016 explorer( love it) and the dealer had three of them in the showroom... The dealer puts a $35000 mark up on each one of them:eek:

They are a bad ass looking mustang though!!! Murican muscle right there....

Btw, please post some pics of your new one, doc!!!

Congrats on the purchase! Great car and definitely will be a cool vehicle to keep for a long time. I'm glad the GT350 came out, heck, because of it I was almost able to snag a Z/28 that was heavily discounted. This was all before I found my NSX, but both phenomenal cars. Can't wait to see your imoressions after the break in period is over!

The GT350 is one of the first Blue Oval products to come in a long time that I would put my own money on.

But I'm not sure I'd dump the X for it. They would have to be partners in the garage.

Last edited:
Over 100 miles on the magnificent Shelby as of today. It's true...it's the new definition of American muscle...powerful with a very special presence.
Today, I stopped it by my local Honda house and my Honda Tech buddies couldn't look away. One said it has an "awesome ass", then immediately apologized. Another said it is "bad ass" over and over as he viewed it from every angle, inside and out. Another said it was the first time a "real car" had ever been in the Honda service bay.
In my 5-day ownership experience, I believe it is much more than my 91. I would hope so...25 years later. Don't misunderstand me, I've spent the last four years creating a "renewed" 1991 and have loved every minute. The NSX is an amazing vehicle; brilliant in its time, yet simple. The Ford is multi-faceted. North American. Also brilliant...2016 brilliant.
Jay Leno's GT350R video says it all. He loves the 5.2L FPC power plant so much, he bought another and put it on a mobile run stand. Ultimately, I find it extremely difficult to explain the feelings the GT350 stirs in me and so many others, other than to say that I also visited the Ford dealership today to convince the GM to order ME their 2017 GT350 allocation in white/blue striped with the Track Pack option. It's that great.

Back