• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GTR... Can't do it

We all know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. A car is a package of things, its looks have to suit its personality and the GTR does that with excellence. It is a "Male" car, IMO one of less than a dozen only in the history of modern performance cars.

Sounds like you've learned to justify its ugly mug. :biggrin:

Hey every mother has to love their baby. :tongue:

I get what you're saying I am still thinking it could have been done better.

Last edited:
it is what it is. as for maintenance, there are independents who can service it. the reason dealerships charge so much is they had to get special lifts, nitrogen gas, and other special equipment for the car... as well as pay for education on the car. as with any car, seek out a qualified independent. with McLaren, you'd probably be stuck going to them.

LOL, seems that every single car forum the GT-R has been the hated car of the past 3 years and the endless threads about cost of ownership.

In regards to cost of a brake job, the brakes on the GT-R are REAL Brembo brakes not the 20 year old mickey mouse brakes that are on the 1991-2005 NA1/NA2 NSX's.

The cost of the rotors is comparable to anything that uses Brembo floating hat 15 inch rotors. Think 997GT3/997GT3RS with the steel rotors or 997Turbo/997TurboS. FYI: Pricing on 997 Porsche GT3 spec floating hat rotors: Brembo 380MM slotted $2694.99 for the fronts, Brembo 350mm $2587.19 for the rears. Do you ever hear the Porsche guys complaining about the cost of brake jobs?

I can swap rotors and pads for less than $3800.00 on my GT-R by doing everything myself and choosing to go with AP or DBA rotors instead of Brembo rotors.

Anyone who has used either a Stoptech or Brembo BBK on the NSX and actually gone through multiple sets of rotors should not be surprised by the cost of replacement rotors or even pads on a real brake setup. The Girodisc larger than OEM floating hat replacement rotors on my Cayman R are $2200.00 for the F/R set and those are nowhere close to the brake rotors on the GT-R.

The cost of an oil change for the GT-R is $220.00, so what? The cost of an oil change for Porsche has been in the similar price range (been the case for my 996GT3, 987 Boxster S, 987.1Cayman S and 987.2 Cayman R).

Complexity and performance adds to the ownership cost, there is no way around it. An AWD vehicle that is heavy has the performance of the GT-R, has a DCT, uses brake steering/torque vectoring, will always cost more in regards to consumables.

You want performance then you have to pay the price, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

As far as the service at the Nissan dealership, I always get a free rental from Nissan when I have my GT-R serviced, the yearly checkup has been free on my car for the past 2 1/2 years. Have I ever had the same experience from my Honda/Acura dealer, not even close (and that is talking from over 20 years of Honda/Acura ownership experience). Do I get the same treatment at the various Porsche dealers that I have taken my vehicles to for the past 8 years? Better than Acura but still no free yearly checks on any of my vehicles.

Seriously the GT-R/LF-A bashing threads are worse than bench racing :rolleyes:, it just comes across as insecurity.

Function > form. I appreciate the look because it was designed/heavily influenced from an aerodynamic point of view. The bodywork is impressive if you know what you're looking at

The brakes are made by nissin and they probably just paid for the brembo naming rights.

Last edited:
I went to the Nissan dealer to look at the 370s.
I was amazed how low class the place was. Not trying to be a snob, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a GT-R at a Nissan dealer overnight.

You want performance then you have to pay the price, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Seriously the GT-R/LF-A bashing threads are worse than bench racing
rolleyes.gif
, it just comes across as insecurity.

These are the exact two things I came here to post.

According to a lot of the members here a car has to:

1. Have incredible performance
2. Be half the price of its main competitor, 1/3 the price of its other competitor
3. Be drop dead gorgeous
4. Be as cheap as a Camry to maintain

No problem, right?

Its a track athlete, not a swimsuit model. Everybody understands that.

I've always learned to appreciate a car for what it is, not bash it for what it isn't.

I think we should all be happy that Nissan is still designating a good chunk of its resources to performance cars, all while our coveted Honda is building CRVs.

I'm surprised the GT-R isn't positioned under the Infiniti brand (like Lexus for LFA, and NSX under Acura in the US), especially given its upfront and service costs. Like it or not, I'm glad Nissan decided to produce it as it pushes the performance bar for the field. I can definitely respect it, but I prefer the engine behind me even at the expense of performance, so I would never own one unless I had unlimited funds. I'd love to drive one sometime though.

but I prefer the engine behind me even at the expense of performance,

Curious as to why? To me, a performance car should place the engine wherever it will perform best. Sure its cool to say the car is mid-engined, but if thats the only reason is a pit of a poser-mentality.

Curious as to why? To me, a performance car should place the engine wherever it will perform best. Sure its cool to say the car is mid-engined, but if thats the only reason is a pit of a poser-mentality.

Because I love the go-karty feeling of having nothing in front of me except the road ahead. I don't like, and have never liked, long or high hoods obstructing my view.

I remember the first time I sat in an NSX. It felt like I was sitting on pavement, and was pure awesomeness. Sitting in the GTR did not give me that feeling. The NSX is the closest I've felt to being on a bike while in a car so far; I just love how it feels like there's barely anything between me and the road. Other cars may be faster, but I don't get that feeling with the ones I've tried, so I keep going back to the NSX.

If speed is more important to you above all else, then an NA NSX probably isn't the right car for you. Speed isn't the most important factor for me since I don't race or track my car, so the NSX is perfect for me since it has so much else to offer for my pure driving enjoyment.

Last edited:
LOL, seems that every single car forum the GT-R has been the hated car of the past 3 years and the endless threads about cost of ownership.

Seriously the GT-R/LF-A bashing threads are worse than bench racing :rolleyes:, it just comes across as insecurity.

+1 The bottom line is if you have to ask you can't afford it. The same cost comments come up on every Lambo thread as well; the clutch costs too much boo hoo. I am not sure how people can compare 1980's state of art design tech to 2005+ state of art design tech. Today's cars cost more because they perform better.

With that said, I can't get beyond the paddle shift and the sedan type looks of the GTR. Those two things are deal breaker for me but anyone who has the same gripes as me has a bit of poser in them as the car is an insane performer.

Because I love the go-karty feeling of having nothing in front of me except the road ahead. I don't like, and have never liked, long or high hoods obstructing my view.

Gotcha, I agree. But cars like the GTR are not trying to target intangibles likew that, so its really an apples to oranges comparison.

How Nissan is the #2 Japanese car maker still amazes me with their weird looking cars like the juke and cube.

I would imagine because of their normal cars like the Maxima and Altima. Also the Infiniti brand has really stepped it up in the last 10 years.

I'm going to have to agree, while the GTR is a great performer it looks does kind of bland/mundane. That's one thing I never liked about the Skyline lineage. Its "Sedan" like style makes them look kind of normal/bland (Only car enthusiasts would really know it's special, too some people that is a plus to others it's not). Same reason I don't really like the M series or AMGs. It's all a matter of preference really. Nothing is actually wrong with them, that why I find it funny you guys are getting bent out of shape about it.

I'm going to have to agree, while the GTR is a great performer it looks does kind of bland/mundane. That's one thing I never liked about the Skyline lineage. Its "Sedan" like style makes them look kind of normal/bland (Only car enthusiasts would really know it's special, too some people that is a plus to others it's not). Same reason I don't really like the M series or AMGs. It's all a matter of preference really. Nothing is actually wrong with them, that why I find it funny you guys are getting bent out of shape about it.

370z has more of a true sports car attribute than the gtr. 2 seats and low weight.....

I guess it all depends what you want from your car. It's true only true car nuts will know what a GTR is. I've seen a couple of GTRs parked on the street and nobody even looks at them. I do, because I know what the car is.

So if you want flash and a lot of attention the GTR is nor your car. If you want a lot of performance and half the price of your competition then the GTR is your car.
What baffles me about the GTR is the amazing performance for a car that weighs 3900lbs.

Last edited:
GTR looks a lot better in person. It is big because NSX is truly a small car.

Jason (NSXSUPER) sold his X and got a Ferrari 360, and bought the GTR later as his daily driver, he is happy, extremely happy.

Go drive one if you haven't. It will grow on you.

What baffles me about the GTR is the amazing performance for a car that weighs 3900lbs.

the father of the GTR explains his theory... the weight is necessary for good handling. he equated it with the amount of downforce an F1 car generates and the GTR does it in part to aerodynamics, but primarily weight. F1 cars have little grip at low speeds and you must drive them fast to produce enough downforce... the GTR is heavy, so it has that amazing grip even at low speeds. crazy idea, but it clearly works.

GTR is great, but its not an apples to apples comparison. (neither is a Porsche Turbo for that matter) What fulfills you in the NSX cannot be had in the GTR, or vice-versa.

If you were looking at a Ferrari, its more apples to apples. Great cars, but I still love my NSX.

a GTR and an NSX would be a perfect pair, IMO.

2slow2speed, I am discussing the car. Why are you insulting me with an insecurity comment when I am just discussing the car? Maybe you are talking in general I don't know, but I'm neither bashing it nor insecure about it. If you are taking offense to my comments because you are a GTR owner, it is unnecessary. I'm discussing my personal opinion in that I can't get over the car's looks, thats all. It's maintenance costs I was comparing to my NSX... not to a GT3... and I already said its performance is not NSX-like. Of course it's always cheaper if you want to do all the maintenance yourself but my dealer told me they wouldn't warranty the car if it saw track time or I did my own work. So what's the point then? Why do I need to go in and replace 4 Brembo floating rotors? So I can brake hard on the street? These were all turn-offs to me and kept me from buying one even if the car was good looking.

Last edited:
Those two things are deal breaker for me but anyone who has the same gripes as me has a bit of poser in them as the car is an insane performer.

I don't find the car that fun to drive unless you are going ballistic on the track. Exact opposite of the NSX which I find fun to drive at 40 mph. I don't know why but that is my experience. also discussing maintenance costs doesn't mean "you can't afford it". This is a car forum, right? We are just talking about cars. Maybe GTR owners are a bit sensitive for what they see as bashing but I am not bashing the car. Otherwise I wouldn't be giving so much serious consideration into a purchase.

GTR looks a lot better in person. It is big because NSX is truly a small car.

Jason (NSXSUPER) sold his X and got a Ferrari 360, and bought the GTR later as his daily driver, he is happy, extremely happy.

Go drive one if you haven't. It will grow on you.

Vance I think it would make a great daily driver.... But it's not the most practical for that. I considered getting one as a daily. It's lack of attention grabbing looks is a plus where that is concerned. Jason has a perfect combo. A 360 as the weekend car, a GTR as a daily.

Back