• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GTR... Can't do it

Vance I think it would make a great daily driver.... But it's not the most practical for that. I considered getting one as a daily. It's lack of attention grabbing looks is a plus where that is concerned. Jason has a perfect combo. A 360 as the weekend car, a GTR as a daily.

Well, for the type of car it is, GTR may be your best option. It kills anything you see on the road that costs less than 200K, and it does have plenty of space for golf bags with a decent size back seat.

Jason is so in love with that car and I haven't seen him drive the Ferrari since he got the GTR.

Just wondering has anyone here did any research on pricing for the GT-R.

For example,

Is the dealer giving any discount now since the car has been out for a few years.

How's the resale value on these cars? Do they hold their value well?

How's the insurance premium when compare to other sports cars?

Thanks.

the father of the GTR explains his theory... the weight is necessary for good handling. he equated it with the amount of downforce an F1 car generates and the GTR does it in part to aerodynamics, but primarily weight. F1 cars have little grip at low speeds and you must drive them fast to produce enough downforce... the GTR is heavy, so it has that amazing grip even at low speeds. crazy idea, but it clearly works.
I watched that interview. Complete BS. Weight and downforce are not the same and his justification/reasoning for the car weighing so much was nonsense.

BD, I owned a 360 for 5 years before the GTR and 2 Gallardo's in between. Apart from jacking up my ego and giving me a few headaches and wallet aches, the Italian "bitches" as I called them always left me wanting more both on the track and in practical everyday use.
Last week, I could not stop marveling at the way the GTR plunged down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca and accelerrated like a bullet going up the hill. Yet the weekend before, I had both my grandchildren in the rear seats and I was cruising along the freeway in comfort mode.

Ultra man, I paid $72k for the GTR in August 2008 (3 and a half years and 24k miles ago). My car is now worth somewhere around $65K. SoCal dealers still want premiums over MSRP but out of state dealers have been known to sell for a couple of grands below list.

Stuntman, Mizuno Justifiably explained that the weight is no handicap for the Attesa system but on the contrary helps it work better as long as there is enough power/traction to complete the equation. With all due respect, NASCAR logic may not apply here.

Last edited:
I watched that interview. Complete BS. Weight and downforce are not the same and his justification/reasoning for the car weighing so much was nonsense.

well yeah, the idea is crazy, but not even Ferrari using their expensive simulator can figure out WHY the car is so fast. :confused:

Ultraman, used GTR's go for as low as $60k... dealerships still mark up new ones about $10k, so we are seeing prices over $100k now. I have a dealership nearby with like 6 of them when i have stopped by. They are selling used ones for like $70k+ depending on year, so basically MSRP when new. The car is in very high demand.

I dislike the front corners, but I think I could do black. Black hides some of the ugly lines real well.

No it doesnt.

LOL... It does A LITTLE. Black is the best color for it. They are holding their price well, not as well as an NSX does. But nothing does that.

two guys I know(familly guys with kids in the NE) who where porsche fans rave about how the gtr does everything better.I would look at it as a dd.

two guys I know(familly guys with kids in the NE) who where porsche fans rave about how the gtr does everything better.I would look at it as a dd.

Two guys I know have P cars (911 turbo) and GTRs. Maybe the GTR is their daily. Lol.

LOL... It does A LITTLE. Black is the best color for it. They are holding their price well, not as well as an NSX does. But nothing does that.

There are two colors that make the GTR look ok, black and strangely enough white. And I think white looks the best.

But overall I think the GTR is an ugly beast. Like many, I've tried to like it because of the performance, but I can't come to grips with the look. I appreciate the capability and engineering, but design? No way.

It's a strange car for sure. There's nothing else like it. I wonder if you can learn to drive on the track with such a car. I've seen some really bad drivers on the track who miss every apex fly around the track in GTR's and R8's. The AWD corrects a lot of bad driving. I'm thinking an incredibly capable car like this will not do much to make you a better driver. You think you're fast but you're really not. LOL

people ..there is a reason why the GTR is called Godzilla because it looks just like Godzilla: big, powerful and very ugly, but unbeatable by most cars out there except for the very expensive ones.

having said that, I would love to have the Skyline R34 Nismo edition.

I think it looks pretty good. Not 100k good though...maye 65k good. Performance though is 200k good.

I haven't had the chance to drive one yet but maybe one day. Every time I see one it always amazes me how big that car is.

Funny thread.

Performance car purchases are totally emotional decisions, which is why trying to convince so someone to like or dislike the GTR is a waste of time.

If you don't like it, no matter how hard you try, it's just not for you. Simple as that.

If you are just wondering why the car is styled like it is, you just don't get it.

I've owned a R32, daily drive my R33 and have a R34 on order. I love these things. To me the R35 looks like a GTR. It is a GTR. I personally would not get one but my reasons has to do with it missing a clutch pedal. :)

Posted from my iPhone

Let's see who wins the ugly contest win the NSX comes out.

If they build the convertible that is shown at the end of the Avengers, my order will be in. That NSX is gorgeous! ............ and no bird beak. :wink:

Funny thread.

Performance car purchases are totally emotional decisions, which is why trying to convince so someone to like or dislike the GTR is a waste of time.

If you don't like it, no matter how hard you try, it's just not for you. Simple as that.

If you are just wondering why the car is styled like it is, you just don't get it.

I've owned a R32, daily drive my R33 and have a R34 on order. I love these things. To me the R35 looks like a GTR. It is a GTR. I personally would not get one but my reasons has to do with it missing a clutch pedal. :)

Posted from my iPhone

I have loved every iteration of the GTR, except the R35. They all look like beasts. They even remind me a lot of american muscle, a japanese translation of american muscle. Not pony cars, but like buick regals, etc... Maybe in time I'll come to appreciate the R35's visual design, but I doubt it. I wish they kept the headlights similar to the R34. That would have gone a long way for me.

You realize it does look like the R8 in person correct?

No, it doesn't have hat stubby froggy like shape. The R8 looks a little squashed in the rear end. The NSX doesn't. Whether it will be a good car or not no one knows.

Back