• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hard to get into gear

Yesterday I brought my car to Honda to get my clutch fluid replaced because it was time (2.5 years). When I left the dealership the shifter worked pretty smooth and later that day it was super hard to get into 1st and in reverse. What the hell could cause this? My master cyclinder is brand new and my clutch is still in good shape. Could an air bubble cause this? The guy who worked on my car is Yoda for Honda (24 year Honda tech) so I trust him. What else could this be? I will call them today to see when I can bring my car in but any advise from NSXPRIME what it might be would be good to.
thanks

Yesterday I brought my car to Honda to get my clutch fluid replaced because it was time (2.5 years). When I left the dealership the shifter worked pretty smooth and later that day it was super hard to get into 1st and in reverse. What the hell could cause this? My master cyclinder is brand new and my clutch is still in good shape. Could an air bubble cause this? The guy who worked on my car is Yoda for Honda (24 year Honda tech) so I trust him. What else could this be? I will call them today to see when I can bring my car in but any advise from NSXPRIME what it might be would be good to.
thanks

What tranny fluid did he replace it with? There is a lot of support incl. myself for the Honda white cap manual tranny fluid. More info here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117283

Jeff

Hard to get it into first and reverse is the clutch is not fully releasing. Take it back and have them bleed the air out of the system so it works correctlly or replace the slave which is leaking.

Last edited:
Does the clutch pedal feel different? Does it grab in a different position now vs. when it was shifting fine?

LarryB

yes it is releasing at a different level . The mechanic took out a little piece that he said needed to be greased and he said it would affect the play of the clutch. He said it moved the fork back and forth in the clutch??? It was really easy to get to and it had a rubber boot on it. Hope this makes sense?? It did take them forever to bleed the clutch and they said no more air was in the system. I guess I could always drive to Houston to get Acura to do it :frown:
But the mechanic did say the clutch would grab hard and does not show signs of wear or that he can feel.

i think what you talking about is the piston (covered by rubber sleeve/cap) of slave cylinder which pushes on the clutch's release fork. never had one apart on the nsx (yet) but if that piston can be removed and adjusted in length or mis-installed then that will affect how the clutch fork is activated, probably resulting in a different feel at the pedal. is that part adjustable?

yup that is the part. I will call Honda today and make an appointment to bring it in next week. I am just driving it to and from work and will get my new tires/wheels on my car end of next week. Will do it all at one time.

so from your recollection, was the part 'adjustable' and if so how? i'd like to know, the manual shows squat.

yes it is releasing at a different level .

OK to make sure I am clear, it is at a different level since the hard shifting, or since you got the car back? If it is when the car started hard shifting, the system is not bled properly.

If so, make sure the level is full, them pump the pedal about 100 times, checking the fluid regularely. The system will self bleed if you pump it long enough;).

HTH,
LarryB

Back