• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Harmonic Balancer / Crank Pulley Failure Detector

The NSX community paranoia must have influenced me a little. I normally don't worry about these things, except this solution was such a low cost and simple answer it doesn't hurt to have.

Problem: Stock NSX harmonic balancer could fail, eating through the timing belt cover and causing timing belt to jump and possible catastrophic engine failure. Since I drive with the radio fairly loud, no symptoms would be noticed until it's too late. *if* it ever were to happen. The AZ dry heat could accelerate the destruction of rubber components even on newly manufactured components even before the timing belt service interval.

Solution & Theory of operation: Simple burgler alarm kits with normally closed loops that use foil wire to detect open circuits send an audible notification. I glued a thin wire (wire wrap) to the timing belt cover instead of foil. This wire would break pretty easy at the first sign of contact from the HB.

I tapped into the key on hot feeding into the main relay and tucked the alarm circuit inside the vehicle. Since this circuit is designed for 6V and not 12, I purchased a 6V voltage regulator (L7806CV) from digikey and incorporated it into the board. You may want to add a heat sink to the regulator as it can get hot when driving the alarm, however it's optional since there's thermal protection within the regulator itself.

Cost: ~$15
Parts: Wire wrap style wire, L7806CV voltage regulator, 6280 Chaney burgler alarm kit. Optional is a box to contain the circuit and heat sink for the regulator.

http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/html/K-6280-Burglar-Alarm-soldering-kit-261.html

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/610663-ic-regulator-pos-6v-220-l7806cv.html

The attached image is looking down at the crank pulley, you can barely see the thin red wire, but it loops around the back side of the crank. You could choose another color to keep things neat.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• breakwire.jpg
    breakwire.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 616
Q: What kind of reaction time would be required between alarm and catastrophic damage?

I suspect it is a very small time window. If that is the case I would wire the alarm to a normally open ("NO", to further decrease reaction time) switch and could shut down the engine immediately upon trigger.

The standard 3/4 second observation with 3/4 second reaction time would be way too long with an engine doing 5K RPM.

+1... if you track the car or drive it hard. If not, just do regular maintenance. It's not like catastrophic failure of the harmonic balancer is some kind of NSX flaw or common thing.

Stick to the maintenance schedule and it will be a non-issue with normal street driving.

+1... if you track the car or drive it hard. If not, just do regular maintenance. It's not like catastrophic failure of the harmonic balancer is some kind of NSX flaw or common thing.

Stick to the maintenance schedule and it will be a non-issue with normal street driving.

Thats what I thought too before mine broke just a month after I inspected it... Maintenance has nothing to say on this part, is not part of any maintenance schedule as I know of.

I dont think it would eat through the tb cover in a split second thou, so the idea is good, but I'd go for Titaniumdave's shield anyday!

The shield is definitely going in when I do the next oil change, and I'll leave the system in place since it's not intrusive. Heck it took me less than 40 minutes from start to finish including soldering.

My only question is how long will the shield hold up once the HB fails. I frequently take long road trips with windows up and loud music. Unless there's obvious vibration I may not notice anything until the next 200 mile pit stop.

Since AZ is the harshest conditions for rubber components, and thus new, this HB will be in for the next 7 years, the box was stamped 2001 so I was unsure of the actual manufacturer date.

I'll keep everyone posted on the longevity of using wire wrap. I thought about the heat and vibration and went ahead anyway.

To me $15 is worth the comfort factor if anything.

i did the 90k service and new clutch last month. I installed the titanium dave part. Orded it form him and got it fast!!!!!:smile:

HB Failure 101 (from information gleaned from other threads and based on personal experience):

-Failure does not appear to be mileage or year dependent, but probably more usage dependent (i.e. tracked / auto-x'd cars are probably more susceptible...although street-only cars are certainly not immune)

-There is a driving window of probably ~5 minutes at slow speed (~40mph) between balancer failure, and catastrophic damage. That's how long it took me to get home from an autocross, and the lower cover already had a hole in it, and there was only about 1mm of plastic left for about 20 degrees of the hole before it would have eaten the belt.

This picture is possibly 1 ~40s autox run, and a 5 minute/3.5 mile drive home:
DSCF6796.jpg

-The TI Dave shield (which I now also have installed) would probably extend that range significantly, and since it would create a metal-to-metal situation instead of metal eating plastic, it could also make a much more significant noise. Honestly, if I hadn't just read about that issue on Prime, I would never have looked and seen the thing wallering around...

-If you installed the shield, and then located your alarm system onto the face of the shield, that would be ideal probably.

Last edited:
How difficult is the harmonic balancer pulley replacement (DIY)?

How difficult is installation of Titanium Dave's shield?

How difficult is the harmonic balancer pulley replacement (DIY)?

How difficult is installation of Titanium Dave's shield?

If you have, or can borrow the crank pulley tool and know what you're doing, it's probably only a 1 hour job.

installing the shield takes about 2 minutes once the balancer has been removed.

As implied above, a new balance is no guarantee of immunity if you track the car. ATI balancer looks solid, but $$$ vs. OE balancer + Shield.

Back