• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HD TV > 1080p?

The next level up is 4K resolution -- ~4000x2000 pixels, or about four times 1080p. I think there were demos of this at CES this year. Of course there's precious little content at that resolution right now.

There's also 8K beyond that, but at that point it's gotta be pretty close to "retina" levels.

I also noticed that the NHK 8K standard supports not 5.1 sound, not 7.1, but 22.2 sound

22 speakers arranged around your home theater, plus two subwoofers.

That's hardcore.

wow 4k for a home TV would be ridiculous...you could read a mammogram on it.:eek:

One other future home video tech is further widening the screen out to 21:9 -- this would allow showing widescreen movies (2.39:1) at full resolution, without black bars on top and bottom.

Expect to see a bunch of 4K TV's shown at CES Jan 2013. Broadcast is stuck at 1080i until the standard is updated, but native 4k content will be pushed by the next-gen game consoles coming out in 2013 and video streamed over IP.

UltraHD @ 8k is the next big step up, but that won't happen on consumer level for some time. Bandwidth and storage have to become a lot cheaper before consumer UHD becomes compelling.

John, you may be missing the point. Right now Sony has released a front projector at 4k res allowing anamorphic lense use for $25k. This allows theater quality projection into your home for a relatively low price point (if your rich). While we will se tvs start to offer this, it will mainly be to improve on 3d formatting. But the real goal here is for home theater enthusiasts who have room for >120" screens. I doubt this tech will appear on anything less than 50" for quite a while, but who knows what the market will demand.

From what I have hears, it is simply stunning to behold.

Expect to see a bunch of 4K TV's shown at CES Jan 2013. Broadcast is stuck at 1080i until the standard is updated, but native 4k content will be pushed by the next-gen game consoles coming out in 2013 and video streamed over IP.

UltraHD @ 8k is the next big step up, but that won't happen on consumer level for some time. Bandwidth and storage have to become a lot cheaper before consumer UHD becomes compelling.

Question for you, since you're involved in this stuff:

A 65" 1080p TV at a distance of 10 feet is above Apple's "retina" threshold, so in theory any higher resolution should be imperceptible by the human eye. What's the benefit in higher resolution? Are much larger TVs going to become the norm?

John, you may be missing the point. Right now Sony has released a front projector at 4k res allowing anamorphic lense use for $25k. This allows theater quality projection into your home for a relatively low price point (if your rich). While we will se tvs start to offer this, it will mainly be to improve on 3d formatting. But the real goal here is for home theater enthusiasts who have room for >120" screens. I doubt this tech will appear on anything less than 50" for quite a while, but who knows what the market will demand.

From what I have hears, it is simply stunning to behold.

lol, I missed the point by not clicking on the link, so now I know we are talking projection.But boy imagine breasts 120 inches wide:eek:

Last edited:

What new game system is coming out in 2013? Got any info on that?

PS4?

If you think about it, MS and the xBox are the ones who really need to step up their game here. They are by far the content leaders but their hardware is ancient by modern standards. It will be funny if they skip over BluRay and go strait to 4k downloadable content, but I doubt it. This may be Sony's chance to 1-up them (pun intended).

Question for you, since you're involved in this stuff:

A 65" 1080p TV at a distance of 10 feet is above Apple's "retina" threshold, so in theory any higher resolution should be imperceptible by the human eye. What's the benefit in higher resolution? Are much larger TVs going to become the norm?

You're absolutely right, but TV manufacturers are going to try and convince you that more is better anyways ;)

Certainly at much larger sizes, eg. 100" TV's, 1080p looks horrible at close range. So the home theater market will absolutely benefit from 4k. In TV's smaller than 65", nobody is going to be able to tell the difference at normal viewing distances.

What new game system is coming out in 2013? Got any info on that?

PS4?

Even if I did know, I wouldn't be able to say in public.

However, if you look at traditional console cycles, XBox and PS are both up for a new console in the next year or two. MS has come out with a public statement that they will not have a new console out in 2012. Many are expecting PS4 and XBox-Next in 2013 (latest 2014) as Nintendo will have theirs out later this year.

im going to argue that via 'normal' viewing distances with with 100"+ displays; the likeliness that one will notice the resolution difference between 1080p and 4k is very very slim...

You're absolutely right, but TV manufacturers are going to try and convince you that more is better anyways ;)

Certainly at much larger sizes, eg. 100" TV's, 1080p looks horrible at close range. So the home theater market will absolutely benefit from 4k. In TV's smaller than 65", nobody is going to be able to tell the difference at normal viewing distances.

im going to argue that via 'normal' viewing distances with with 100"+ displays; the likeliness that one will notice the resolution difference between 1080p and 4k is very very slim...

I'm basing this on 1.5x-1.8x diagonal foot viewing distance for the front seats in a home theater (ie 12-15ft for 100" screen). In a home theater, it's a much more immersive experience if you have a wider field of view, so you want to be closer to the screen than in the living room or bedroom.

The 100"+ LCD's I saw at CES looked pretty bad with 1080p content at 15 feet. Home theater projector screens are often even larger. I would definitely notice a difference with 4k. Would my wife notice the difference? Probably not. She can barely tell the difference between 480p (DVD) and 1080p (BD).

Personally I dun see the value of going past 120Hz and 1080p.

I really dun want the resolution to be so high that the women's zits, wrinkles and scars stand right out.

I LOL at my friends that get the "best" HDTV and they have no good sound system to match it.

It's tantamount to rolling in a sports car and having a tape player for a stereo system.........:tongue:

resolution_chart.png

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

I like using the bottom calculator... According to it with my 58" plasma, I need to sit 4 feet from it to see the benefit of 4K resolution. I think my mom would tell me I'll go cross-eyed.

Last edited:
I'm basing this on 1.5x-1.8x diagonal foot viewing distance for the front seats in a home theater (ie 12-15ft for 100" screen). In a home theater, it's a much more immersive experience if you have a wider field of view, so you want to be closer to the screen than in the living room or bedroom.

The 100"+ LCD's I saw at CES looked pretty bad with 1080p content at 15 feet. Home theater projector screens are often even larger. I would definitely notice a difference with 4k. Would my wife notice the difference? Probably not. She can barely tell the difference between 480p (DVD) and 1080p (BD).

fair enough. in my situation at home; i currently i sit about 15 ft away from my 120 inch screen so in my situation (and according to the chart above) i would never benefit 'fully' from 4k.

(perhaps its personal preference or being in the industry i don't enjoy being overly close to the TV/screen; im the kind of guy that goes straight to the back row of a theatre to watch a movie)

1080p looking like crap on a 4k display would depend upon many factors; viewing distance and very very importantly the scaler chip/electronics involved to get the image fit on a non-native display.

by no means am i not saying there isnt a picture benefit.

but a real life benefit for the normal person i believe the rewards for the cost difference is nominal. unless the average person starts owning 80"+ displays and are sitting 8 ft away from them.

but even beyond all the technical stuffs one huge measure of being able to perceive such high resolution is dependent upon the style of content; i think that with movies are shot today; where so may shots are constantly moving, erratic and just very very short; the chances of noticing and appreciating the resolution difference on average size displays + normal viewing distances is almost NIL. not even referring to 4k/1080p but this already applies for 1080p/720p!

my wife 100% woudnt know the difference either lol; in fact im willing to bet that not many of our wives would!

with that same 58" plasma you would have to be sitting 6 ft or closer to get the full benefit of even 1080p! that is warranted for cross eye'd lecturing too im sure!

resolution_chart.png

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

I like using the bottom calculator... According to it with my 58" plasma, I need to sit 4 feet from it to see the benefit of 4K resolution. I think my mom would tell me I'll go cross-eyed.

Rumor is Apple is making an actual television that apparently is going to be a 'game changer'.

You don't need anything more than 1080p for most home viewing, according to this article.

This is correct.

4K is for movie theaters. If it ever does make it to homes it will be 20 years from now -- if ever (for true 4K software).

Last edited:
From what I understand, the standard eye sight is around 2k P, so if they can achieve that, it will be like looking out the window.

I think that will be good enough.

Back