• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help Me Decide

Hello to All -

I've been away from this forum for quite some time, but I've learned a lot in my visits here and I need your help.

I've been considering a Ferrari, either the 550 Maranello or the 328 GTSi. I admit that there are better performance cars, but I've always been in love with the Ferrari mystique.

With the used car market soft, I thought my time to get my "dream car" was getting closer, but the more I hear about repair costs and upkeep costs I'm becoming aware that the combination of depreciation on newer cars and sky high ownership costs make owning a Ferrari quite a commitment.

I recently visited a friend who owns a Ford GT and after several rides I was very impressed, but the $15OK entry cost is above my budget.

I came to this forum and apparently the price of NSX cars has fallen since I last visited, making me reconsider the NSX again. The NSX appeals to me for many reasons, the build quality and design, the Honda decision to build the best car possible, regardless of production cost, and the ability to enjoy a supercar without having to take out a mortgage for upkeep.

I would use this car as a weekend toy, not everyday transportation. Some has said, perhaps unkindly, that the NSX is "too perfect" and not a very involving ride - a car with "little personality". I haven't driven one in a long time, and at that time my experience was with 1993 and older cars.

I like cars that handle well, I'm not an acceleration junkie or a top speed demon. My daily ride is a Mini Cooper, just a base car, chosen because it doesn't have run flat tires, giving me a better ride, and without a supercharger since I live in a city environment and can't take advantage of the acceleration on my daily ride. For weekend fun I have several motorcycles, and as a bang for the buck ride no car can match it, but I'm getting older and the idea of a "real car" appeals to me. Your help is appreciated.

My questions: Is there a significant difference between the pre '94 cars and the newer ones in terms of ride enjoyment/road feel? Is there a particular model year that you prefer from a performance/ride enjoyment perspective?

What budget would I need for the NSX you recommend, and would you buy from a forum member or a local dealer?

Go for a 97+ NSX with a CTSC. That will be more fun than a 328 and less pricey than a 550.

I would buy from a forum member because you will have much more history and other members will know the car so you have a wealth of info.

That said, many members that are enthusiasts (like myself) will think their cars are worth much more than the KBB rate. You will have to talk them down on the price. I just got my tax notice and it said the car was valued at $23,900. :rolleyes: Ha - no way I would ever sale it for that.

Of course, the most important thing is a test drive. Make sure the clutch is solid and all the "small things" are operational such as the trunk, lights, stereo, etc.

i was in pretty much the same situation as you last year, was strongly considering getting a 328 as i've always wanted one and loved the looks. but a couple of test drives convinced me they simply weren't up to modern standards - goofy driving position, stiff clutch, wooden brakes, clunky shifter, heavy steering, and didn't handle all that well. the only thing i really liked was the sound. and even though it probably has the lowest maintenance costs of all f-cars it was still awfully high.

bottom line - i picked up a well maintained and nicely modded nsx a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. PM me if you want a ride, i'm in north raleigh.

Last edited:
No offense, but you are all over the map. A 550 is, what, 3x the price of a 328? But you were worried about affording an NSX? :confused:

The Ferrari is going to be a LOT more $$$ for maintenance than the NSX, even an old one with high miles.

No offense, but you are all over the map. A 550 is, what, 3x the price of a 328? But you were worried about affording an NSX? :confused:

The Ferrari is going to be a LOT more $$$ for maintenance than the NSX, even an old one with high miles.

Must agree. A 550 versus a 328?:confused::confused: Versus a NSX? Sorry, just don't get it.

If you get a NA1 (3.0 produced from 91-96) car you can add headers, and an exhaust and get almost the same power as a NA2 (3.2 produced from 97 & up). Do you want a coupe or a Targa top ??? That will narrow things down as the targa was not available until 95. OBD1 emissions was used 91-94 OBDII started mid 95. Coupes are lighter and have a stiffer chassis. Look in the wiki for price comparison matrix by year. You can get a well maintained early model for around $30K. Stick with something that has documented maintenence history and you can't go wrong regardless of who owned it.

Best of Luck

Well I know how you feel - I have admired and assessed virtually everything which goes by the description of sports car, and spent many, many months weighing up the options before deciding to go for an NSX.

From the information you gave (what you admire in the NSX, how you espect to use it & the desire for a reasonable financial commitment) I'd say you are a perfect candidate for an NSX.

For what it's worth, here is what I found. After having a variety of toys in my younger days, the time came again for me to look at sports cars. I was looking for a car which looked stunning, which had some character/rarity, and which drove well (although out and out speed was not the main driver for me). Plus I really wanted something with a lusty V8 sound.

Well character and rarity the NSX has in spades - a few searches of the contempary car reports show the impact the NSX had on the supercar world, and of course there are the Ayrton Senna / Gordon Murray links which add to the aura of the car. But I was still worried that it wouldn't feel 'special' in the flesh, that it was a technically superb but somehow un-involving car to own.....

Then I drove my first NSX. I was transfixed. First off, the looks.... IMHO no picture comes close to doing it's lines justice. The curves are (to me) beautiful and are truly timeless - this is a car which will look good in 2009, 2019 and 2029. Secondly the driving experience. It was completely unlike any of the other sports cars I'd driven. The steering has laser like precision, the ride is flat and smooth, the handling makes you feel like a driving god. The acceleration is fun fun fun. And the best bit? The SOUND!!!! The V6 is wonderful to listen to, and as others have noted a day without a trip to 8,000 rpm is a sad day, it is really addictive.

So my advice to you (if it is not already clear....) is get an NSX.

Be patient. Get an un-modded one if you want to protect your investment as best possible. Anybody's guess where the prices are going, but depreciation is not a major concern, nor are maintenance costs.... you can't ask for much more than that from a driveable 90's supercar. For my tastes, there is no need to have SC, turbo or other performance mods (but chassis bars & sway bars are reasonable upgrades, plus are available from Acura so are OEM). I have a 97-T and I am absolutley delighted. I benefit from the option of open top fun, and have the 6 speed g/box and 20 extra horses (plus of course a car that is somewhat younger than the NA1s). But I think an NA1 would be just as much fun as well. Just get one!

Hope this helps.

Crispin is right about the looks. I've owned my car for a year now, and every time I walk up to the thing I'm stunned by how sleek and purposeful it looks. And modern, too, despite being a '92.

It's magic, plain and simple. You can get cars with more power, you can get cars with lighter weight, you can certainly get performance cars that are cheaper to mod and repair, but good luck finding a complete, comprehensive package that works as well.

There's not a lot of cars out there developed by Formula 1 world Champions, and Senna was one of the greatest.

Nick

If you get a NA1 (3.0 produced from 91-96) car you can add headers, and an exhaust and get almost the same power as a NA2 (3.2 produced from 97 & up).

That is true, but what you don't get is the 6-speed, which IMO makes a big difference vs. the gearing in the 5-speed. I think the 97+ is worth the extra money just for that.

Last edited:
I'd get the 550, the 328 is a piece of shit. (Oh, in my opinion of course:biggrin:) I've always loved that car:biggrin:

You are pretty fortunate because there is a strong NSX community there in the Triangle and you can get a lot of sage advice from some of the prime members there.

You should go up to Briar Creek on hwy 70 on the first Saturday of each month @9 am. Several of them meet there and they will be able to give you an ear full as well as maybe a ride in a NA1 and NA2 so that you can feel the difference. Also many have very tasteful mods on them that will surprise you at the amount of bhp that they are running. Making a fun car an even bigger bast.

Very fun car! I have always been an NSX fan and knew that I had to have one. I did not even consider the 308, 328 or F355 because acquition cost is one thing but turning a wrench on them is another $$$. I had a tuner shop in Raleigh tell me that works on F-Cars that on a 308 or 328 cough up about $1 per operating mile. That only made me run faster to the NSX. Funny, but I also face a TB/WP and clutch replacement here in the next week which will be an early Christmas present to myself, but if well maintained there are documented cases of NSXs reaching 200,000 miles+. Try that with a F-Car! But as many of us here know, nothing cures a case of "gots to have it" like picking up a dream. If you want a F-Car go for it, you can always come back to the NSX!

Happy Hunting! That is the best part, there are quite a few deals our there.

That is true, but what you don't get is the 6-speed, which IMO makes a big difference vs. the gearing in the 5-speed. I think the 97+ is worth the extra money just for that.

I'm very happy with my 5 speed, I especially like 2nd gear which is the one I use to merge onto the freeway. It has a nice long powerband.:biggrin: I'll use that extra money on other things. :wink:

Thanks to all for the information, it is very helpful. For the NC replies, especially Raleigh, thanks especially. I'm a bit tied up for the holidays at work, lots of people out, but I will accept a belated invitation to visit personally and see for myself if the NSX if for me. I'll show up at the Briar Creek meeting, and maybe PM some of you to get your thoughts first hand.

I know I mentioned the "F" car in my posts, and to my mind that is the only competition. I realize the costs involved, but I've been brainwashed for decades about the Ferrari, and I have to get over my fixation before I decide what to buy.

Thanks again to all.
Thanks again to all.

lol kid. 328 is a piece. say it like it is.

If you want a Ferrari at least get the 355.

personally i would get the nsx.... wait i have both. :biggrin:

if you want a 355 let me know. mine is for sale.

Last edited:
hey,i'm a new owner in chapel hill,and am very happy with my 95.it was well taken care of,and only has 30k miles.my mechanic told me there's variation between cars and if yours revs higher than 8000 rpm,you're getting more power.mine doesn't cut out until about 8300,and he said i'm getting 15 extra hp or so.to me,the most important thing is getting a well-maintained nsx with some good documentation.other prime members are a good source to buy from, they're generally a good group of people.
if you'd like to pm me,i'd be glad to talk to you,i spent a lot of time looking into this and reading the hell out of prime before i got mine,and i don't get to brier creek.get one,you won't regret it.

Back