• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help name my daughter

Choose my daughter's name:

• Morgan LeeAnn Rothberg

Votes: 55 63.2%
  • Braya LeeAnn Rothberg

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Mikalah LeeAnn Rothberg

Votes: 23 26.4%

• Total voters
Congrats RobR. I rarely come by to check things out these days.... that's a long way from so long thanks for the fish! Glad to see good things going your way.

Congrats on the soon-to-be new addition to your family! I like Mikalah, but if you are still considering others, my brother recently had a little girl and named her Jayden....it's a little less common and think it's pretty for a girl.

I like Braya, but I also like Bronwyn.

I have two sisters, their names are

Ianthe (Yante`)...nickname Yantz.

Kalendra. (Ka-len-dra)...nickname Klemmy.

Thanks for all the ideas, I like Shayna myself (and my dad would love the Yiddish factor, but I think the wife's mind is made up, at least this week).

AaronR, good to see you're still around and it was a long ride after 'thanks for the fish' - still is in many ways. Money magazine helped out a lot with an article they ran so I'm in pretty decent shape right now thanks to a new job that resulted :).

The wife's logic behind the names... uh..... who knows. The only one with a story is Braya.

Morgan = wife likes the name and was reminded of it from Morgan Fairchild on some show recently.

Mikalah = wife likes the name and was reminded of it from American Idol last year.

Braya (BRAY-uh) = We used to foster care for a cat shelter. We had a litter of 4 two week old kittens (two of which we kept) we were caring for that needed names. One of them looked like a rat. Rat = Tar backwards = LaBrea tar pits = Brea.

We thought it was a unique and nice sounding name so when she was pregnant first time around, we said if it's a girl we'd call her Brea (my spelling). Big argument over the spelling ensued this time around. Brea she says is "Bree". Braya to me looks like the Norse goddess Freya or the tech company Avaya. Anyway, I think that name is out, too many donkey and bra jokes made about it elsewhere that we hadn't considered.

LeeAnn is a done deal for the middle name. My son's middle name is my fathers middle name. Lee is my mother's middle name, Ann is my wife's mother's middle name. We already told the parents so there's no backing out now :).

robr said:
LeeAnn is a done deal for the middle name. My son's middle name is my fathers middle name. Lee is my mother's middle name, Ann is my wife's mother's middle name. We already told the parents so there's no backing out now :).

Our family does this too. My middle name is the same as the last name of my original ancestors. Every male in my family has the same middle name going back hundreds of years. The name is Collins. I am the last one as I don't have children yet.
My sister Kalendra does not have children and Ianthe has one girl. Someone needs to have a boy to keep it going.

What ever happened to normal names with normal spellings? I heard someone called there kid feemale. Where are the Kim's, Sarah's, and Heather's? I am not a fan of trendy names and they make me laugh :)

With society churning out Columbine Borg at a rapid pace, naming a child is one of the few remaining acceptable outlets for individuality. We want our kids to conform because conformity is the glue that holds society together. But giving them a name that no one ever thought to bestow upon a child -- Dysmenorrhea, for example -- allows parents to demonstrate some level of non-conformity.

Of course, buying a child a chemistry set and encouraging the exploration of the wonderful world of chemicals is far less embarrassing than saddling a child with the name "Cannon Wang."

Along with creative names come creative spellings. Maybe the parents weren't clever enough to invent a name. Maybe they liked the sound of a traditional name, but they still wanted their child to have a leg up on the Lakens and Teagans.

But does spelling matter when the teacher calls on Julie, Jullee, Jewlee, Julliee and Julye?

"Rylee" is but one example of misspelled monikers. Traditional names become undecipherable.

Mayghan? Is it pronounced like the more traditional "Megan"? Or May-ghan? May-gun? My-gun? How can anyone tell in a country brimming with Brinleys, Hollyns and Kestins? Where Matthew becomes "Matthue," a too-trendy Carson becomes "Karsyn" and an overdone Taylor transforms into "Teighlor"?

Then there are the parents who completely lack creativity. They give rise to the Trumans, Willows, Xanders, Dawsons and Dharmas. They're television or movie addicts, and a name that fits a fictional character will surely make their child stand out.

And the stranger the name or spelling, the more apt the parents are to eschew discipline.

During finals, I escaped to the local public library to study. Libraries are quiet or so I've heard.

Fifteen minutes into studying, a book fell on the floor. Again and again.. I got up to see who the klutz was, and it was none other than an adorable female toddler. All blonde and white and cute.

She purposely threw the book on the floor. And continued to purposely throw it on the floor. After five minutes of that, and perhaps noticing annoyance on the faces of other people, the mother half-heartedly attempted to discipline her angel.

"Kinsey, stop it. Stop it, Kinsey. Please, Mommy is trying to read, Kinsey."

What? Kinsey? Like the Kinsey Institute? Is Mommy kinky or stupid?

My vote was on the latter because for 20 minutes, Kinsey entertained the library with her antics.

I doubt a Jennifer would do that, but I bet a Jenypher would.

Call me Star Wars fanatic but Leia sounds good otherwise Morgan it is (timeless). Almost forgotten congratulation RobR. Your first I presume.

I don't really like Braya. I don't really get how to say it. And what about a short form/Nick name.... Bra ... What's up Bra.... Yikes..

I love the name Trinity.

I think I woudl go with Morgan out of those.

Ryanmcd2 said:
What ever happened to normal names with normal spellings?
I think there is a certain practicality in giving a name that won't need to be spelled out every time she says it out loud to someone. (Of the three names above, only Morgan meets this criterion.)

Jin1976 said:
Call me Star Wars fanatic but Leia sounds good otherwise Morgan it is (timeless). Almost forgotten congratulation RobR. Your first I presume.

Thanks! The second actually (my avatar is the first who is now 11 months old).

A Star Wars name would never happen in my house (as much of a fanatic as I am... I ordered a vanity plate that said NSXWNG, but never picked it up because I decided that would just be TOO geeky :)). My friend named his son Luke, but of course was shot down on Leia when his daughter was born. His last name is Vadeboncoeur, so they just call him Luke Vader.

Congrats!!!

I'm with Ken, timeless is best. No dated names or a name that is "clever" or makes one say "where did your parents come up with that?". I'd go with Morgan, however I'd suggest "Sarah" for a nice solid, timeless name choice. Of course, I hear "Emma" is a very popular name this year.....go figure?

I hate Emma and yes, looking at the social security page, Emma and Emily are the #1 names for 2004 in a large number of states.

However, what's the definition of timeless? When I was a growing up, everyone was Sue, Jen, Kerri, Lisa, Sherry, Heather, etc.

My Dad's generation was Warren, Sheldon, Morris, Nathan, Benjamin, Abraham, Helen, Celia, Margaret, etc. NOBODY had those names that were my age, and I don't hear of too many kids having names like Sue, etc anymore which I think of as 'timeless'.

I think the only real timeless names are probably Christian saints.

Zappa - LOL.

You're right! Sarah is Old Testament for sure! Hence the timelessness. There might have been a Sue, but I don't recall her building or riding the ark.

Good luck with the decision. I still like Morgan. Unique but solid/dependable.

I vote for Morgan My wife and I named our one year old daughter
Erianna (arianna) with an E. You wouldny believe how confused it gets people.Its amazing even after a year I have family members that cant figure it out(lol) . If I have another daughter I think I'm going to name her Jane:smile:
Best of luck
Its the greatest thing!!
Paul M

What I found interesting when looking for a name was when a name started to become very popular. We used a book that had graphs of each name.

For example "Jenna" screamed up in popularity starting in 2001. I suspect it's due to the popularity of Jenna Jameson. :biggrin:

NSX-Stalker

robr said:
The wife just shot down Shelby BIG TIME - As soon as the name Shelby came out of my mouth she said, "I'm NOT naming a child after a CAR!!" ...
She doesn’t like Shelby?
It’s a girl, right? How about Cobra?:smile:

NsXMas said:
That settles it. I like Robin the best. :smile:
710 said:
attachment.php

LOL! That one probably went over most peoples' heads over here in US, 710!

For those who need to know - The Reliant Robin is British 3-wheeler (could be driven by Motor-cycle license holder - no full car license required) - one of chief claims to fame is its whopping 32 bhp engine!

The real sexy machine of the Reliant portfolio was The Bond Bug

bb700es.jpg

Wouldn't suggest for one second you name your daughter "Bug", Rob! :biggrin:

In case anyone was curious about what we ended up doing, none of the above names were used.

On 5/23 at 2:30am, Amber Leanne was born. 7lb 3oz, 19.5".

Back