• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help name my daughter

Choose my daughter's name:

• Morgan LeeAnn Rothberg

Votes: 55 63.2%
  • Braya LeeAnn Rothberg

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Mikalah LeeAnn Rothberg

Votes: 23 26.4%

• Total voters
robr said:
In case anyone was curious about what we ended up doing, none of the above names were used.

On 5/23 at 2:30am, Amber Leanne was born. 7lb 3oz, 19.5".

Good choice of name. My daughter is named Amber Lynn. :wink:

Otto

Little girls are the best.

See that cute little finger; prepare to be wound around it.

Congrats.

There is nothing like being a father.

How about Shaya. Thats my neice's name. :wink:

Ryanmcd2 said:
With society churning out Columbine Borg at a rapid pace, naming a child is one of the few remaining acceptable outlets for individuality. We want our kids to conform because conformity is the glue that holds society together. But giving them a name that no one ever thought to bestow upon a child -- Dysmenorrhea, for example -- allows parents to demonstrate some level of non-conformity.

Of course, buying a child a chemistry set and encouraging the exploration of the wonderful world of chemicals is far less embarrassing than saddling a child with the name "Cannon Wang."

Along with creative names come creative spellings. Maybe the parents weren't clever enough to invent a name. Maybe they liked the sound of a traditional name, but they still wanted their child to have a leg up on the Lakens and Teagans.

But does spelling matter when the teacher calls on Julie, Jullee, Jewlee, Julliee and Julye?

"Rylee" is but one example of misspelled monikers. Traditional names become undecipherable.

Mayghan? Is it pronounced like the more traditional "Megan"? Or May-ghan? May-gun? My-gun? How can anyone tell in a country brimming with Brinleys, Hollyns and Kestins? Where Matthew becomes "Matthue," a too-trendy Carson becomes "Karsyn" and an overdone Taylor transforms into "Teighlor"?

Then there are the parents who completely lack creativity. They give rise to the Trumans, Willows, Xanders, Dawsons and Dharmas. They're television or movie addicts, and a name that fits a fictional character will surely make their child stand out.

And the stranger the name or spelling, the more apt the parents are to eschew discipline.

During finals, I escaped to the local public library to study. Libraries are quiet or so I've heard.

Fifteen minutes into studying, a book fell on the floor. Again and again.. I got up to see who the klutz was, and it was none other than an adorable female toddler. All blonde and white and cute.

She purposely threw the book on the floor. And continued to purposely throw it on the floor. After five minutes of that, and perhaps noticing annoyance on the faces of other people, the mother half-heartedly attempted to discipline her angel.

"Kinsey, stop it. Stop it, Kinsey. Please, Mommy is trying to read, Kinsey."

What? Kinsey? Like the Kinsey Institute? Is Mommy kinky or stupid?

My vote was on the latter because for 20 minutes, Kinsey entertained the library with her antics.

I doubt a Jennifer would do that, but I bet a Jenypher would.

Haha that's a serious rant! Too funny. :smile:

Mikalah sounds nice....:smile:

btw, congrats!!

So here we are, almost 10 years since I started this thread. My wife was talking to my daughter today (now 9) about how things live on forever on the internet and you can google people's names. She found this thread demonstrating this to Amber! I just read through the whole thing again, brings back memories. I hope she got a chuckle as well over some of our thinking at the time.

My wife and I have three children. All boys. I wanted a girl but it was not in the cards. Had I had a girl we would have named her Jacqueline (and called her "Jacks"). Just food for thought.

Oh boy....I just noticed the start date on this thread. I voted for Morgan by the way.

Last edited:
is this your first child?

- - - Updated - - -

if so then here is my thoughts on parenting. the first one drains your soul, then you recover in about 2 years. then the second your body remembers how little sleep you get and remembers how to sneak naps here and there and is not bad at all. the 3rd child you don't care anymore if your work shirt has puke on it, or your friends say you smell like baby milk mixed with puke.

you never go out anymore your friends drop off the earth. driving your NSX just doesn't do it anymore, sex with the wife drops to almost nothing per year because her sex drive came out with the children.

I know this sounds bad but its hard to explain that your wouldn't give it up for the world because when you hear that first daddy, or you see her take her first steps all the torture you have gone thru is worth it.

trust me I am tring to get my wifes vagina to give me a 4th child I want 4 and then im done.

You shawn are priceless lol...:biggrin:

I voted Mikalah. Though I have always loved Alexis as a female name.

I can't believe nobody's recommend Berlina or Imola. Where are the wisenheimers...?

Monica Pearl Rothberg...Monte Carla Rothberg....

Or for the real free-spirit NSX parents here....Lanae Teue Rothberg. (French Hebrew spelling: L'NA2 Rothberg)

Or if you want more of a 90's-era name: Lanae Wanda Rothberg (Italian Hebrew spelling: L'NA1 D'Rothberg)

Shawn, maybe your wife's ear might be convinced on one of those?

I can't believe nobody's recommend Berlina or Imola. Where are the wisenheimers...?

Monica Pearl Rothberg...Monte Carla Rothberg....

Or for the real free-spirit NSX parents here....Lanae Teue Rothberg. (French Hebrew spelling: L'NA2 Rothberg)

Or if you want more of a 90's-era name: Lanae Wanda Rothberg (Italian Hebrew spelling: L'NA1 D'Rothberg)

Shawn, maybe your wife's ear might be convinced on one of those?
Good point. I vote for Berlina.
Imola sounds too much like Ebola

here is a story about voting for a name... one of my old clients had a name the new adopted penguin, advertised for it all over the place to get more people to vote and log into the site etc.
one of the 4 names was the clear winner with something like 4000 votes more than the rest, almost 2 days before the final tally of the names was to be announced and the winner, upper management came into the IT room and told us to add 10,000 votes to the name they had already chosen which was the clear loser in the polls.

carry on.

Oh dear God above I hope none of that management team are Hillary fans and working within the government electoral system.

not sure if my post will get deleted but Vote for Trump doesn't back down to the masses since FB and twitty run the country LOL

Back