• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help on '02 conversion

Hi all... I'm a soon-to-be (hopefully) NSX owner and I'm already thinking about what I want to do to the car after I get it. I'm buying a 96 black/black NSX-T that is all stock except wheels. I know that most people here on the forum like the flip up headlights... but I completely prefer the more modern look of the '02. I know there is a conversion kit for the headlights, although I understand its not such a simple mod. I really can't do it myself, so I'm going to have to find someone who can do it for me. I'm located in Birmingham, AL and I've already PMed those I could find that are in AL; but I would appreciate any advice on good shops in the region.

I found a good picture online of about what I'd like to to mod the car to. Here is what it looks like now:
96NSXT.jpg

Here's what I'd like it to look like when I'm done:

honda_acura_nsx_2002_berlina_black.jpg

My main questions are:
Is it possible?
How much might it cost?
Who in the AL area might be able to do this?

Thanks!

There is a salvaged title 02(33k) on the site that would probably or possibly be
an easier way to go. There is also an 04 with high mileage with a price of 40k.

There is a salvaged title 02(33k) on the site that would probably or possibly be
an easier way to go. There is also an 04 with high mileage with a price of 40k.

HE HAS the 96 already.

There are some owners here that did the conversion themselves, with parts from vendors such Dali / SOS / DF etc .. I would search " 02 conversion " .... I believe there was a black NSX that came really really good done @ home ....

I believe that as long as you have TIME, TOOLS and more importantly, Skills + a good shop for painting, you can do yourself.

Oscar

I think your best option is to go with the Downforce (DF) kit. It has a lower part count than if you use OEM parts and saves a significant amount of weight over OEM as well, without being visually different.

I think your best option is to go with the Downforce (DF) kit. It has a lower part count than if you use OEM parts and saves a significant amount of weight over OEM as well, without being visually different.

I wasn't aware of this. What items make up the main difference in the weight savings and about how much is saved?

I know the OEM bumper allows use of the front tow hook w/ a cover....must get 02+ tow hook as well. I don't believe the downforce bumper has a removeable cover...I don't recall if those guys are able to access the tow hook.

The problem with downforce parts is that they are made of fiberglass vs aluminum or plastic like the oem. If you look at how much oem parts cost it might give you a heart attack though. The hood, the bumper assy, and the headlights are extremely expensive.

Thanks all for the comments... I actually did find someone who would be willing to help me with the conversion, if that is the route I decide to go. I was going to get the 96 because it's got relatively low miles (58K), its black (the color I want), targa, and its more in my current price range ($30K). Its really exactly what I was looking for, I just don't really like the flip up lights. I was planning on saving up over the next year to get the conversion done, but I guess I could also just wait, save up and get an '02.

There is thread here that shows a black '91 conversion that is pretty much what I'm looking for:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130795&highlight=02+conversion

I'll have to think about it for a bit... any other comments are welcome!

Thanks all for the comments... I actually did find someone who would be willing to help me with the conversion, if that is the route I decide to go. I was going to get the 96 because it's got relatively low miles (58K), its black (the color I want), targa, and its more in my current price range ($30K). Its really exactly what I was looking for, I just don't really like the flip up lights. I was planning on saving up over the next year to get the conversion done, but I guess I could also just wait, save up and get an '02.

There is thread here that shows a black '91 conversion that is pretty much what I'm looking for:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130795&highlight=02+conversion

I'll have to think about it for a bit... any other comments are welcome!

The 97+ cars are mechanically superior to the pre-97s because of larger engine and 6 speed transmission. If you know you want the 02+ look, just save your money and wait for the right one. In doing the 02+ conversion, you WILL eventually spend all that you THINK you'll save by buying a cheaper 96 car in the beginning. In the end, you'll wish you had just bought an 02 from the start.

my 2cents try Tim Polinak at Ray Laks Honda/Acura for parts. i ordered a $900 msrp 02 rear lip for $625 or something around that price and $3 for shipping and transaction fee's. No sales tax if your out of state and the $3 is per order not item so if you ordered everything at once i belive it would only be $3 for shipping and transaction fee's. I'm doing the conversion also with a 96. I have an extra 02+ passenger headlight for $400 shipped obo if you need it. Needs to be cleaned (dusty) no scratches. I'm going to use most factory parts like the bumper, headlights, wire harness, ect.... I'll probally order the D.F. brackets and covers for the area cut on the headlight brace. Only reason for going OEM is the bumper is 2 pieces so if i bottom out it will flex since it's plastic. And worse if it cracks or breaks i only have to replace the lower half not the whole front bumper.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just realized you didn't get the car yet, OH WELL, in that case if you don't care about the C32 + 6speed, just get a 91 @ a good price and do the conversion then, still you'll save a TON of money!

Oscar

Sorry, I just realized you didn't get the car yet, OH WELL, in that case if you don't care about the C32 + 6speed, just get a 91 @ a good price and do the conversion then, still you'll save a TON of money!

Oscar

Thanks man... I really don't care about the C32 + 6 speed. I'm happy enough with the older engine. I cared more about not having too high mileage and getting it at a decent price. I thought that a 96 with 59K miles for $30K was pretty good. No way in hell I'm going to find an 02+ with those miles for anything near that price. I looked around but it seems like the 02+ just might be out of my price range. I found someone in Dallas who said they could help with the conversion for a reasonable price, so that may be the way I go.

I recall a post a while back from one of the DF folks stating all of this, can't find it right now though. :)

I wasn't aware of this. What items make up the main difference in the weight savings and about how much is saved?

I cared more about not having too high mileage.
What's the problem with high miles? The higher the better. Ask Hugh. :) NSX's are not that miles-sensitive, that's what divides the car from 99.9 percent of the rest of other cars. :)
If money is an object I'd buy a slighty crashed one (but not bent!) an do the repair or save and get a 02+ which has some technical slightly advanced stuff over NA1's.

I recall a post a while back from one of the DF folks stating all of this, can't find it right now though. :)

On their site it claims a savings of 37 lbs. Sorry to bother you I didn't of the obvious and look at their site.:redface:

I wonder where they get the savings from? I'd think the hood would be very close and the cover and skirts would weigh more than the OEM urethane.

Back