• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

High speed bicycle transporter

I have a bicycle rack that is pretty slick. It has been rode tested with 2 lightwieght bikes at 120 mph +. The front bike wheels go behind your seats and the rack attaches to the car's glass hatch with 4 coated hooks. No damage and easy to use. The rack also fits in the trunk when not in use. My bikes weigh about 15 pounds with the front wheel off and they don't create a lot of air drag.
If anyone wants to know more, ask. Jeff

Attachments

• nsx with tcr at house.jpg
    nsx with tcr at house.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 5,994
Jeff, That's a great idea, thanks for sharing. Did you make it yourself?

Yes I made it from 2 different racks. Enflite and Yakima. Jeff

Attachments

• roof rack bike shadow.jpg
    roof rack bike shadow.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,613
That looks great and seems pretty darn safe. Please let me know how you did it or if you plan on marketing this.

Thats nice!
Can you provide more details?

Thanks,

Nate in DC

creative

Now that's really creative. I never thought I would see a bike rack on an NSX. I'm thinking my mountain bikes wouldn't work on that set up, but it was neat to see your pic.

Bouwlya! That is what I am talking about! Very cool.

Please provide more info and - in your opinion if it will work with mountain bikes.

Way cool. I love the pic with the bike shadow (and the speedo at 80).

A question: my '95 NSX's rear hatch glass has a little rubber lip around its edge (except at the point you lift it at). Does that rubber get deformed at all where you attach the rack with the clips?

I am a bit surprised by the interest in this rack.
I combined a rack now sold as a "hunchback" with parts made by Yakima. Lots of rebuilding to get it right.
The rack has 4 foam pads that rest on the glass and 2 straps with vinyl hooks that mount to the upper edge of the glass. 2 more to the bottom. The rubber trim around the glass is deformed by the hooks when installed but I have no damage so far. I do not leave it on the car any longer than needed. It fits in the trunk when removed.
I usually just carry 1 lightweight bike (read carbon fiber) but it can take 2 if they are not to heavy. A single mountain bike would do ok.
I just drive like normal (don't slow down) although I am a bit more cautious slinging around a corner.
Any more questions? Cost? .....maybe $100-150
Jeff

Attachments

• nsx bare farm.jpg
    nsx bare farm.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,789
That is not me in the last photo.
This is me in the front seat winning the state championship! This bike will not fit on the NSX. Jeff

Attachments

• stategamesfinish2001_540.jpg
    stategamesfinish2001_540.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,387
Wow, I cant believe you even attempted :D but job well done :cool:

as much as I love to cycle, I think I would transport my bikes on my VW instead, I dont have the guts to even think of racking my NSX :D

Welcome fellow cyclist.

Gutsy very gutsy :cool:

Hi, Your local bike shop can order one for you. They are distributed by Delta products. I own bicycle stores here and could get you one although at would add shipping costs that you could avoid locally. I can get better pics of rack details to help you or I could just make another one for you? Jeff

www.deltacycle.com Hunchrack is the starting point. Relocate straps replace Deltas fork mounts with Yakima cross bar and fork blocks. Jeff

Please PM me the cost to make one of these for me...I am interested. Thank you. :)

Hi all,
On Jeff Hutchinson’s recommendation, I decided to give the Hunchrack a shot. I was surprised to find that it worked right out of the box! The only addition I made were a few loop-style ratchet tie-downs to further secure the rack for peace-of-mind. Furthermore, I used the additional support bar and mounted it to the trunk and bumper instead of the glass engine hatch. I mounted two road bikes to it and even used the additional tire bar to attach both front tires to the rack as well. I didn’t have to put anything in the car. Now my wife and I don’t have to rent a car when we want to do a tri-sprint outside the city. See pictures attached. It really worked great.

Things to know: With the rack mounted this way, you obviously have no access to the trunk. There’s the advantage to the engine glass mount. I may try that next. The trick to the trunk mount is attaching the strap hooks to a convenient ridge on the top of the actual metal bumper. This ridge is accessible through the hole in the bumper cover just above the license plate. This is made even more secure by using the opening to loop a tie-down strap completely around the bumper, coming back up through one of the louvers in the bottom of the bumper cover. Add to this another tie-down looped around the strut tower bar and any chance of fore-aft movement is eliminated. The only thing you don’t see in the pictures is a third tie-down that I would use to wrap around the whole trunk lid and bike rack width-wise, to further restrain any side-to-side motion. The reason the tie-downs are so nice with this is because the rubber cushions on the bike rack are so huge its really hard to compress them enough to prevent the rack from rocking back and forth in the most sickening way whenever you go around a corner or hit a bump. The ratchet tie-downs really do the trick.

Thanks to those big rubber cushions though, the rack didn’t do any damage, no scratches, even the bumper cover is unmarked. Email me if you want to see more detailed pictures, I took a bunch. Get the Hunchrack and never go without your bikes again!
-Gregg

Sounds even better. However, wouldn't the aluminum trunk material give with a direct load like that ?

If there was a way to replace the trunk lid with a strong cf one, things would be less risky. No ?

I would think the advantage of the glass hatch mouting would be to remove any direct contact on the aluminum.

Any thoughts ?

-vamsi

I was concerned about the aluminum too. But with those big rubber pads spreading the load, I didn't see any bending or deflection, either around the pads or the strap hooks on the edge of the trunk lid. Its stronger than you think. There's actually very little weight on the trunk lid anyway. Most of the weight of the bikes is on the rear of the rack, which is supported by the bar going down to the bumper. The bumper cover is soft plastic but has good support underneath it and barely moved.

The engine hatch glass on the other hand, will not give any warning before it snaps. Yikes. Faced with both options, I decided I'd rather risk putting a dent in the trunk than chance breaking the glass. Both ways will work, but I wouldn't use the ratchet tie-downs on that big rounded glass.
-Gregg

This thread puts such a smile on my face it is crazy.....well done gang. :smile:

Hunchrack has a new style but Jeff was able to make some modifications to it so it fits in the trunk even! :biggrin: Jeff was very accomodating. The price has gone up a little but that's due to the new design. Jeff made the modifications needed at little-no extra charge. He clearly has an enthusiasm for the NSX and biking - something we share. Anyway it's ultra easy to use and the wear factor is pretty much nil from what I can tell (and I'm picky).
Tried it out yesterday for the 1st time and it works GREAT! Even had a strong crosswind on the interstate - no problem. If you want more looks than when normally driving around in your NSX - just strap one of these babies on. :eek:
Some pics:
(click image for bigger pic)

Last edited:
Michael, Glad you like your rack and it looks like you have a pretty good color match with the bike and car! If others are interested in a rack,I can supply for $225 plus shipping. jeff (not Ryan)

allstar said:
Michael, Glad you like your rack and it looks like you have a pretty good color match with the bike and car! If others are interested in a rack,I can supply for $225 plus shipping. jeff (not Ryan)

sorry JEFF - haha, jeesh! I corrected it :redface:

Back