• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hit-and-runner gets pwned

hit-and-runner gets pwned--UPDATE

So this past Friday a buddy of mine came over for our weekly poker game; he opened my front door and handed me one of my NSX's side-view mirrors.

"I found this in the street dude. Somebody hit your car."

I ran outside to find a seven-foot gash going from my intake to the front of the car:mad::
damage.bmp

Needless to say nobody was around, but there was a note on the windshield. It read:

"I saw the guy who pulled the hit and run on your car. It was an old rusted truck and I'm 99% sure that the license plate number was '1G814**.' Good luck."

No phone number, make, model, or COLOR... but it was a lead, so I couldn't complain.

I called the cops, got a police report, and found out that the license plate number belonged to a 1970 Ford truck. The cops went to his place and then called to let me know that the residence was vacated and there was no forwarding address. They signed off with a non-committal "We'll let you know if we find anything."

Great... so now I've gotta find this guy myself. I ended up convincing the investigating officer to give me the name of the owner and a better description of the truck, and told the officer that I'd call him if I found the guy.

I've had my eye out for the past week, and finally today I started a spiraling search in my neighborhood, moving outward from my place. Didn't find a thing, so I came back home and there was the truck, RIGHT AT THE SCENE OF THE CRIME. I guess he thought nobody had seen him, so he wasn't worried. I checked his front right bumper (what I figured he had hit me with)and there was a big dent with my black paint all over it!

I called the investigator and told him I had found the truck. He said he would send a unit, and at that point I asked him if I could box the guy in to make sure he didn't get away before the officer arrived.

He said, "Well, I can't tell you to do anything that would be illegal. Whatever you do of your own volition, however, isn't my concern. Do you understand?"

Message received. Luckily my buddy was there (silver Tacoma) to make sure the truck was fully surrounded.
pwned2.JPG

The cops got there, verified that it was the right truck, and impounded it--hopefully the guy starts making calls tomorrow to find out where it went. Karma's a bitch.:wink:
karma.bmp

Last edited:
I would be veeery mad too:mad:! Sorry to hear about your car.Does he have any insurance by any chance? If he does, I think it is perfect to spend the $ upgrade your car:biggrin:

Awesome man. Hope you get the guy to fess up. I really doubt that he even has proper insurance, but you never know. I hate basatards that can't drive, esp when they hit a parked car in a parrallel spot. It's one thing to ding side by side, but a parallel spot?! It does nothing but tarnish the good history of your car, and cause you unwanted stress. This kind of shit pisses me off. Luckily, someone saw the offender!

Yea, my NSX was a victim too this summer. I parked it in the back of a parallel spot near the beach. Somehow some jackass back into my rear fender and ran. There were 4 police units out and many other people. Not a single person saw it happen. I was pissed, the only lead was black polyurethane scrapes so it was either a cheap two tone car or a black car. Hope everything gets fixed like new or better

AMEN! :cool:

i think many nsx owners would have took the loss.

big props for manning up and taking matters into your own hands!

cant express how happy i am for you! :smile:

i would find out who wrote that note, taken him/her out in the nsx for the best damn meal you can find around town!

Good for you! Hope he goes to jail.

Wow, that is very fortunate that someone was kind enough to leave you a note. If it wasn't for that you wouldn't have ever found the person. I sure hope he has insurance.

Best of Luck!

Yeah, there wasn't any insurance info inside the truck when I found it so it's doubtful that I'll get anything that way--cops will let me know on Monday. Either way, as long as this guy ends up calling the cops to get his truck back, I'll be taking him to small claims for my deductible.

That witness was definitely the catalyst for it all, so I'd love to make it up to her somehow (it was obviously girl's handwriting.) Guess she won't experience the full extent of my gratitude though; she didn't leave a number because she didn't want to get involved. :rolleyes:

Good Job McGruff!!! Considering it is a crime a commit a hit and run, I would it made it a little more fun for the owner of truck. After finding the truck, I would have made sure that the investigator would have found the bag of contraband between the front seats. People driving those kinds of trucks always have something in there that lands them in the pokey. :wink:

Gawd, I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to hear of this. I'm elated that you found the culprit - genuinely sincerely happy.

:smile:

Brilliant. My NSX got scratch from trolley last month. No one was around to tell me who the culprit was. Another time I saw a car backing up to another car. The taillamp cracked but I managed to write down the number of the hit & run car. Went down and waited for the owner and gave her the details.

sadly the guy aint gonna come forward....

your side mirror and paint repair job will cost more than what that piece of junk truck is worth... :frown:

Wait! Can the cop trace his vehicle to his driver license and nail him down?

They did that the first night, and found that the residence linked to his registration was vacant. I should get some news today on whether or not he came forward to claim the truck; I doubt that he did, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Back