• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honcho's Long Road to Imola Type-S Zero

Body and Paint Work 30

Stopped by the painter to drop off the mirrors and the still-in-box lower bumper. He was already well into prepping the pieces I had delivered last week.

He remarked that the hood panel was in very good condition and did not require much work. He thought it had original paint.

20200417_113107.jpg

Here you can see the washer nozzle holes being flattened a bit.

20200417_113128.jpg

A few touch ups on the hood

20200417_113239.jpg
He said the back of the hood took more prep time than the top. Lol.

20200417_113330.jpg

Damage to the right fender repaired and in the process of being shaped.

20200417_113828.jpg

FINALLY that awful bondo and epoxy job on the left fender is banished forever.

20200417_113839.jpg

It is a nice, sunny Colorado day so we could compare the paint card to my factory sample. It looks incredible. My painter (who is also an artist) can spot a slight difference, but honestly I can't. They look identical to me. Mrs. Honcho also spotted the difference, noting that the factory paint had a better depth of color. But, all agreed we were into the realm of "hairs on a gnat's ass" of pickiness. I'm really happy with it, so we decided to order 1 quart and 1 pint more color in addition to the pint we already have- about $800 worth of color. The product is PPG Deltron. This is their 2-stage product.

20200417_131713.jpg
Hood and fenders will probably be shot mid-week next week.

Attachments

• 20200417_113330.jpg
    20200417_113330.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 0
The second photo with the VVIS shows up, but the rest won't load at all. They all seem to be hosted on Google Photos, are all the sharing settings the same?

I keep reading about how using oiled aftermarket filters is basically smoking cigs but for your intake plenum, are there any cold air-style intake solutions that don't have that problem or aren't oiled? Not necessarily from a power gain perspective since the OEM box is already mostly optimized, mostly if you wanted more intake noise.

The best way to increase intake noise on the NSX is to replace the intake "snorkel" inside the left quarter panel with the Downforce horn, or just delete it entirely. I'm working on a 3.5" bellmouth solution.

I don't see dead people but I see the pics.....

I totally loving this build! Honcho, obviously too late but did you ever consider the 2002+ conversion with the black roof? That’s my all time favorite look.

I totally loving this build! Honcho, obviously too late but did you ever consider the 2002+ conversion with the black roof? That’s my all time favorite look.

I thought you loved.....Magnum....

I went through many concepts. My original plan was a full NA2 NSX-R in Champ White. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I truly loved those Type-S cars from the Best Motoring videos and from my youth playing Gran Turismo in my college dorm. Whenever I think "NSX", I picture those cars. So I settled on a Type-S. Honestly, I just love the pop-ups, even though they are heavier and more complex. So, the 02+ look was out. Plus, a proper 02+ conversion using factory parts would have added considerable cost to an already expensive project! I've never been a huge fan of the black roof- can you believe it?

Last edited:
I may have overlooked this detail, but are you planning to swap to JDM/EDM Fenders?

No, the concept of this project is that someone, somehow was able to order a LHD S-Zero in 1997. Also, I don't want to spend $5,000 on fenders lol.

would you be thinking of nsxpo Portland if finished:wink:

would you be thinking of nsxpo Portland if finished:wink:

Actually, I was thinking of Fiesta this year...depending on the apocalypse and international travel, etc.

If you factor in selling your fenders then it's probably only ~$3K :biggrin:

Great build by the way!

Thanks!

Body and Paint Work 31

Rear bumper removed and disassembled, along with both rear quarter panels. Once I disassemble the front upper bumper, time for another trip to the body shop. That bumper beam really does feel like it weighs a million pounds!

20200419_173532.jpg20200419_173543.jpg20200419_173558.jpg20200419_173614.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread. I’m always disappointed when I see fenders etc. off the car and the paint is not as immaculate as it is on the parts of the car that’s showing. Come on Honda!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I was thinking of Fiesta this year...depending on the apocalypse and international travel, etc.

Thanks!

I meant you could reveal the new old car at xpo....to much fanfare..

I meant you could reveal the new old car at xpo....to much fanfare..

The idea crossed my mind... :D Though, the current plan is for [MENTION=34522]NSX_n00b[/MENTION] and I to reveal both Type-S cars (my Imola Zero and his Paul Ricard Blue S) at xpo 2021. Once my car is done, we're doing the same thing to Spencer's. They are both going through the "Honcho NSX Refresh Plan" LOL.

Last edited:
Paint update: Second batch of panels is at the painters. It will be about a week's more prep and repair and then the primer sealer goes down. Then color. We ordered the paint today and ended up buying two extra quarts, since the "hide" of this paint isn't so great (it takes several coats to get a uniform color).

amazing how many stages the original paint needed to bond to aluminum ...I guess paint technology has improved so much:confused:

Body and Paint Work 32

Managed to strip the front bumper. It's been through a lot and will need some extra love to get all that junk paint and epoxy residue removed. The painter stopped by the house to examine the car and give a second opinion on my door. His verdict is that the existing door is not compromised and the intrusion beams are intact. Additionally, he pointed out that the repair was incorrect- the beam looks bent because they pulled the door skin too far away. He said it makes the beam look further away from the door skin, but showed me that the beam itself is straight. So, now I have to figure out how to send this donor door back... :frown:

Bumper guts. More hideous overspray from the $500 paint job on the foam.

20200428_214741.jpg

All the black retaining clips were stuck and shattered on removal.

20200428_214758.jpg

Stripped clean and ready for prep.

20200428_220951.jpg

A bit of the car's history preserved inside the bumper. I know this car was built in September of 1991. These markings look like date records- perhaps as the part made it through the assembly line?

20200428_221007.jpg

Back