• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hondas new models not doing well

I actually don't mind the Crosstour and think the ZDX looks pretty cool (once the chrome in front is painted black). The biggest problem could be the dealers. When I had my RSX in for a recent state inspection, the cheapest ZDX on the lot that I saw was over $75k! I can't imagine many selling for that price...

I actually don't mind the Crosstour and think the ZDX looks pretty cool (once the chrome in front is painted black). The biggest problem could be the dealers. When I had my RSX in for a recent state inspection, the cheapest ZDX on the lot that I saw was over $75k! I can't imagine many selling for that price...

That's odd as max sticker is $56k??

Wouldn't it be great if they are known as a maverick company that built interesting, performance cars (again)?

If Nissan can do it, so can Honda.
:cool:

I own two Hondas (used to own three), but I don't see myself buying another Honda soon...

Going to the recent auto show, loved the Hyundai Sonata. The Honda Accord looked so ancient and cheap by comparison. The Sonata has modern features like keyless start. The Accord could only dream. The Accord dash looks so spartan, while the Sonata dash looks very luxurious.

The only car I'm remotely interested in would be the Civic, but even that gets pricey when optioned out, compared to the Sonata or other newcomers to the market.

Honda has really lost its way. Their Accords seem to look decent one generation, then crappy next generation, and the interiors just seem to get worse and worse. Newcomers like Hyundai are going take their market share away.

Honda - you really need to shake things up and stop all the crap you're doing!! :mad:

There was a whole group of US NSX owners in Japan just recently.

Did any of them at the very least express their disappointment at the direction Honda is taking? At the fact that they no longer make a sports car? At the crappy cars they are putting out?

Or did everyone just slap each other on the back and act like nothing was wrong and keep smiling?

Wish I was there so I could have told a few Honda execs...."WAKE THE FCK UP! HYUNDAI IS KICKING YOUR ASS AND YOUR LOSING YOUR WAY"

or something like that................

There was a whole group of US NSX owners in Japan just recently.

Did any of them at the very least express their disappointment at the direction Honda is taking? At the fact that they no longer make a sports car? At the crappy cars they are putting out?

Or did everyone just slap each other on the back and act like nothing was wrong and keep smiling?

Wish I was there so I could have told a few Honda execs...."WAKE THE FCK UP! HYUNDAI IS KICKING YOUR ASS AND YOUR LOSING YOUR WAY"

or something like that................

They respectfully asked and were told by execs no more sports cars , which Ito has maintained , but as was pointed out to me Ito also said no ev's about two years back but then presented the Fit ev last month ..lol

I've gotta think the company is surviving on tsx/rdx/pilot/minivan/mdx sales..the rest is fail....

They respectfully asked and were told by execs no more sports cars , which Ito has maintained , but as was pointed out to me Ito also said no ev's about two years back but then presented the Fit ev last month ..lol

OK...but why not express their true feelings? Why not tell them how some of us feel about the road they're taking. I just wonder if after everyone left they had a meeting and said something like, "see the Americans agree with what we are doing and don't care that we aren't making any more sports cars.............."

Just seems like a golden opportunity to voice some strong opinions against what they are doing was lost.

OK...but why not express their true feelings? Why not tell them how some of us feel about the road they're taking. I just wonder if after everyone left they had a meeting and said something like, "see the Americans agree with what we are doing and don't care that we aren't making any more sports cars.............."

Just seems like a golden opportunity to voice some strong opinions against what they are doing was lost.

Honda already knows as they had people come to the US for an NSX meet ,but this was at the time that the HSV was in development.

Also they were guests. Some American had been invited to NSX Fiesta before and was acting "out" so badly it took years before we got another invite. Trust me they already know how we really feel but it just doesn't bother them.

Honda has really lost its way. Their Accords seem to look decent one generation, then crappy next generation, and the interiors just seem to get worse and worse. Newcomers like Hyundai are going take their market share away.

Honda - you really need to shake things up and stop all the crap you're doing!! :mad:

Amen.. As a long time Honda enthusiast I'm all but disgusted that the only Honda/Acura product that is currently sold in the US that I find interesting is the Fit & the Odyssey. Everything else is either ugly beyond words, eclipsed by the competition or boring

There is ONE thing that I still like about Honda is its ZDX commercial,
Nice beats, nice piece, nice girl, but ugly grille.
Steve

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tH981nFpH6Y?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tH981nFpH6Y?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If you are a guest in Japan, I would really think twice about voicing strong opinions publicly. It seems rude. It would be better to express your opinions in private, maybe over a beer.

As an NSX Fiesta attendee, I wondered if anyone would express their displeasure with Honda's direction and the cancellation of the new NSX in particular. Thank God no one did.

As guests of Honda, it would have been considered rude and impolite to impart unsolicited advice to Honda executives. That said, the ones I spoke to went out of their way to let me know that there wasn't going to be another "sports car" and that they were saddened by it. Their regret seemed genuine and sincere. I, for one, wasn't going to add to their regret by tearing into them or embarassing them in front of other Honda employees and Fiesta guests.

My impression is that they know already. My hope is that they can change things around before their loyal enthusiasts give up hope and buy sports models from other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Thought that Acura could not do worse than the current buck teeth look on the TL/TSX/MDX/ZDX but it seems that they can:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/14/2011-acura-rl-presents-slight-changes-to-an-aging-package/

Are they targeting the same demographics as Buick or the defunct Oldsmobile??

What can I say? The "flagship" RL is 7 years old and looks ugly as ever. $47k base price and it is no better than the $37k 328hp G37 AWD sedan. Being a diehard Honda fan, just give me the lousy CRZ with a S2000 engine and I will just buy one NOW for old time sake. Otherwise, lose this "loyal" customer for good. We are shopping for a 7 seater SUV for this ski season and we have been looking everything but Honda. Sad! Just 6 years ago, we had Odyssey, Civic, CRVs, Ridgeline, and NSXs in the garages.
Steve

Saw this on msnbc.com this morning:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40656037/ns/business-autos/

And some interesting news:

Steve Center said:
Internally, Honda is spending a lot of effort developing a clear focus for the Acura brand and Center promises that a wave of new products coming “within the next two years … will address this.”

And:

MSNBC said:
As for the Honda side, the automaker is taking efforts to shore up weak offerings. The CR-Z, for example, will soon get a conventional powertrain to accompany the hybrid version, for example.

Last edited:
I kind of threw up my hands with regards to the newest Honda/Acura product a while ago. the bloat is really obvious across the model lines. The first time I laid eyes on the current TSX I couldn't help but wonder why they ruined a perfectly good sport sedan. 2nd generation TSX is actually a larger car than my 3rd gen TL.

The hatchet job face-lift they put on the RL to fit it with the buck tooth "power plenum" uug! Basically they took a decent looking car and then gave it a Tow Mater' makeover.

The 4th gen TL is like a match.com ad- if you just read her profile, she seems to have it all- performance, tech goodies, even a manual transmission option, and SH AWD, but then you get to her pictures and oh-my-God WTF happened?

Both the ZDX, and the Crosstour are completely pointless vehicles.

Hope appears to be on the horizon- at least for the TL which is apparently getting having some orthodontic work done for the next model year, and thankfully the current MDX, Ridgeline, Odyssey, and Fit are still passable options.

With all of that said- look at my signature line. Both of my cars are 5+ years old. I'll be trading at least one in during the next 2 years or so and buying a newer used car as a replacement. Right now my interest is in Audi, and Lexus CPO vehicles, with only an 07-09 Acura MDX still in the running from Honda.

For a guy that comes from a family that has owned 14 Honda/Acura product during the preceding 20 years that is a pretty sad state of affairs.

Also, I think Dad is going into a Benz as his next DD.

P

Last edited:
Going green is ok but if you let pass Toyota with their Prius and their much more sophisticated hybrid-system, something is wrong at Honda.
The CR-Z is nice but does any CRX streetracer wants to be the laughing-sock at every street-race-meeting?
Japan lost a full decade in the 90ies, looks like Honda lost more than a decade. I don't think it could have been so worse if Soichiro still lived.

Saw this on msnbc.com this morning:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40656037/ns/business-autos/

And some interesting news:

And:
Originally Posted by MSNBC
As for the Honda side, the automaker is taking efforts to shore up weak offerings. The CR-Z, for example, will soon get a conventional powertrain to accompany the hybrid version, for example.

I think msnbc.com has since updated the second quote. It now says:

As for the Honda side, the carmaker is taking efforts to shore up weak offerings. There have been widespread news reports that the CR-Z will soon get a conventional powertrain to accompany the hybrid version, for example — something the company is, at least for the moment, denying.

Wouldn't the Honda Pilot be a good fit for a 7 seater SUV for ski season?

No. The Pilot looks like a pig. The front grille is just a modified Acura grille. With the headlights and the grille, the Pilot is butt ugly in front. The car is bulky and square like a minivan. The interior is also a mess. The dash and console look more like appliances. A slightly larger version of a CRV would be perfect.
Don Lam kept telling me not to buy any of the Honda/Acura Van/SUV since they have had tranny problems and have not figured out a cure yet.
The Toyota Highlander looks a lot sleeker. We might even buy the last generation Highlander since it is quite compact and versatile.
Steve

No. The Pilot looks like a pig. The front grille is just a modified Acura grille. With the headlights and the grille, the Pilot is butt ugly in front. The car is bulky and square like a minivan. The interior is also a mess. The dash and console look more like appliances. A slightly larger version of a CRV would be perfect.
Don Lam kept telling me not to buy any of the Honda/Acura Van/SUV since they have had tranny problems and have not figured out a cure yet.
The Toyota Highlander looks a lot sleeker. We might even buy the last generation Highlander since it is quite compact and versatile.
Steve

Agree 100% in regards to the Pilot, again I'm not sure who Honda is targeting as their consumer. That things looks like a cartoon.

BTW: I'm on my 2nd Acura MDX, the first one was a 2001 MDX that I purchased back in the Fall of 2000 I ended up getting an extended warranty for the MDX because I was afraid that Acura/Honda might not get things right with their first ever home grown SUV. The extended warranty came in handy for other things besides the tranny. Drove close to 129K miles on the 2001 MDX without any major tranny issues.

The 09 MDX that I currently drive also has a 7 year/100k miles extended warranty just to make sure that if anything went wrong with the SH-AWD that it would be covered.

Purchasing an Acura/Honda SUV without an extended warranty is pretty much rolling the dice.

Purchasing an Acura/Honda SUV without an extended warranty is pretty much rolling the dice.

And that is a damned shame. Who would have guessed that the engineering driven company that used to make fun, interesting, and bulletproof vehicles would have consumers worried like this?

Back