• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AutoBlog: Remember, Honda

Video: Remember, Honda?

by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on Jul 19th 2010 at 1:01PM
<!-- sphereit start -->
<small>Honda/Acura NSX remembrance film – click above to watch the video</small>

Up until the last few years, Honda was known for being one of the most engineering driven companies in the world. Soichiro Honda instilled a remarkable spirit of innovation in his staff, driving the company to spawn amazing ideas like the CVCC engines of the mid-1970s, the oval-piston NR750 race bike and the fuel cell powered FCX Clarity. As of late, though, the Japanese automaker has been looking a bit 'behind the curve' with models like the Insight, Accord Crosstour and CR-Z lacking the cleverness, spark, and class-leading competence that made past Honda models so iconic.

Thus, it might be a good time to take a look back at what made Honda so great. One of the all-time highlights of the company's road car portfolio remains the Honda/
Acura NSX. Although both Nissan and Toyota toyed with the idea of building mid-engine exotics, only Honda actually put one into production. The influence of the NSX on its market segment extended far beyond its commercial success. The NSX was the first "exotic" to demonstrate that you could combine everyday driveability and reliability with supercar performance. Before the NSX, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and the like forced drivers to make all sorts of compromises in order to have their performance at one's disposal. It's fair to say that the supercars of today are far better all-around drivers today thanks to the lessons taught by the NSX. Unfortunately, Honda shelved plans for a successor model, so in many respects, one could argue that the spirit of the everyday supercar remains alive in the Audi R8.

Perhaps Honda's product planners and beancounters alike would do well to take a stroll down memory lane and revisit what once the company great. We can't think of a better way than to check out the dramatic video tribute to the NSX
after the jump. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Gallery: Acura NSX

[Source: Format67 via YouTube]

<object height="379" width="630">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/53c6o_cNPEo&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="379" width="630"></object>

<!-- sphereit end -->
Filed under: Classics, Coupe, Performance, Videos, Honda, Design/Style
Tags: acura, Acura NSX, acura nsx tribute, acura nsx video, AcuraNsx, AcuraNsxTribute, AcuraNsxVideo, honda, honda engineering, honda nsx, honda nsx tribute, honda nsx video, honda RD, HondaEngineering, HondaNsx, HondaNsxTribute, HondaNsxVideo, HondaRd, nsx

Honda is gone, OLD Honda is gone, we are on the green Honda age, although, they were already seen as green cars before, but now they are indeed more green .....

Oscar - don't give up yet....Honda isn't finished by a long shot. They are still working behind the scenes. I'll be surprised if they don't do something cool eventually, oh, and fast!

Honda is gone, OLD Honda is gone, we are on the green Honda age, although, they were already seen as green cars before, but now they are indeed more green .....

Yup, the old Honda is gone. In fact he is dead. Now this beancounter-run company are trying to go green but they are doing a poor job. I remember liking EVERY Honda and Acura thinking they were all class leaders in terms of engineering. OTOH, I totally had no interest in any Toyota or Nissan but now find myself drooling over the M sedan, G37 coupe, ISF, G430, LS, EX, and even the Highlander Hybrid. There is not even ONE Honda or Acura that I like over its competitors'. Even Hyundai are building cars that I would buy over the Hondas. The Genesis is looking quite sharp and has the mighty V8 to boot. As early as 10 years ago, being the car guy in the family, I recommended everyone in my family to buy Hondas. When we had a gathering, the garage looked like a Honda/Acura showroom. We have had NSXs, Legend, CRVs, CRX, Ridgeline, Civic, and Odyssey.
Now looking at the Acura and Honda websites, I only see boring cars. Even the great Integra and s2000 are gone. All Acuras are ugly too with that big grills. And then that Flagship RL with a V6, sigh.......
Steve

Last edited:
Now looking at the Acura and Honda websites, I only see boring cars. Even the great Integra and s2000 are gone. All Acuras are ugly too with that big grills.
Steve

Man is that ever true. We bought an older RL just to avoid getting one with the "new" appearance - "the beak" as I call it. Looks funky.

The new Bimmer 5 series is looking really good as is the Sonata - now that is a classy looking car - like a cheap Mercedes, without the major depreciation and cost - albeit without the performance too but they are coming a long way from inception! I agree with White here!

It's really sad actually. I sure hope there is a change there someday. It's going to take them getting back into racing with both feet! That's been the foundation for them for so long - out performing the competition - things will change I think. I hope....

Even Hyundai are building cars that I would buy over the Hondas.
Sadly I find myself thinking this too. :redface: The only things I like from the current line up are the Fit and S2000 and even then I don't really care for them much right now. :frown:

Otto

Yup, the old Honda is gone. In fact he is dead. Even Hyundai are building cars that I would buy over the Hondas. sigh.......

Truer words were never spoken.

However, we do have the NSX... don't we.

nice report about the NSX video :smile:

Few automotive films are made that create an experience that can engulf the viewer. The following Honda NSX video written by Daniel Michaelis and marked as "extended version" was of epic status long before it was even released. The heritage of the Honda NSX to the JDM world is of utmost respect. Ranking amongst the greats like Supra, Skyline, Impreza, and Evo; the Honda NSX is said to be the JDM God of JDM lore. If you haven't heard of the Honda or Acura NSX, you simply aren't living in modern times.

This is Japan's true super car, highlighted by the long wheel base and smooth yet aggressive styling. Aerodynamic, powerful, and full of technology the Honda NSX is practically in a league of it's own. A common feature in famous video games such as Gran Tourismo, Need for Speed, and Forza series, the NSX is always shown as a high performer with a decent bang for buck value. It's not your cheap Honda with a wing, but it's definitely not as expensive as a Ferrari. The epic status Honda NSX video is just like the car, second to none. With a teaser clip released in the beginning of June 2010, the final video is just as good as the preview suggests. First, let's take a look at the preview!

That's pretty impressive, but we are talking about an impressive vehicle; anything less would just be plain wrong. The Honda NSX deserves all the honor and attention it can get, especially with it's strict limited production and high demand. Produced between 1990 and 2005 by the Japanese automaker Honda, the Honda and/or Acura NSX features a mid-engine and rear wheel drive layout powered by the infamous all-aluminum C30A and C32B V6 engines. With power ranging from 270 to 290 bhp, it's light 2,900 pound chassis can be zipped from zero to sixty miles per hour in just 4.5 seconds.

The following video can only be described as epic. The camera angles, quality, creativity, and more are simply superb. If there was ever a video created that captures the true essence of Honda's NSX, this is it. Even Honda didn't create propaganda that could rapture the masses. I must warn you, you will want one after watching this video and your car will not seem nearly as cool as you thought it was. Yes, the almighty NSX is back; but in reality it never left.

Source:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...10m7d19-Epic-Honda-NSX-video-extended-version

I have almost 0 interest in new Honda/Acura.

My friend wants a TSX, i'm trying to convince her to get an older one.

I wanted my dad to get a first gen Fit, but I won't recommend him to get a brand new one.

And once again, Hong's video is truly soul stirring.

Agreed on all fronts. As bad as this sounds, I tend to buy my day to day vehicles based on appearance. When it came time to look for a replacement daily driver, (from my 2000 TL) I drove the new TL 2008 model and I did not like it at all...(personal opinion only)...I did not think it brought out the level of "class" that my old TL always seemed to get. Granted, it was highly technical, but when I showed it to people, they just kind of said , ah, nice...ho-hum...

So, I set out on a search to find the best condition, 2003 TL I could find...took me 8 months, to locate one that had it all (mileage, color, etc), but did find one with about 60,000 kms (35,000 miles) and absolutely perfect , one owner....I paid a bit of a premium, but people still are impressed when I pull up in it....the quality of leather, that low dash , the contrasting interior colors and materials....the new stuff is cluttered with tiny buttons, bland color schemes, and that ugly front grillle....
(again, you either love it or hate it...I tend to hate it)

On a side note, my father, who seldom replaces cars, (15 yrs ago was his last one)...test drove about 10 different models and brands in the mid-sedan market, and decided on the Hyundai Sonata as best overall riding car...(over Accord, Camry, MAzda 6, and the domestics)...he said the price and warranty was by far better, but the car itself felt better inside, rode nicer (likely softer for his liking) and just "felt" better....I was very surprised by this, since he is not the kind of person who just goes out and buys the cheapest car on the market...

^+1 - that new Sonata is a great looking car! Your Dad is smart! I like the old TL and TSX too. Much more subtle and good looking.

Soon Hyundai will beat Honda with a new mid engine sports car called the NS6. Mid engine, 2 seats, with a 10 year warranty for around 50K. LOL...

I have almost 0 interest in new Honda/Acura.

My friend wants a TSX, i'm trying to convince her to get an older one.

I wanted my dad to get a first gen Fit, but I won't recommend him to get a brand new one.

And once again, Hong's video is truly soul stirring.

Have you test driven the new TSX V6; it is quite impressive - we got one at a great deal.

Have you test driven the new TSX V6; it is quite impressive - we got one at a great deal.

I will say the new TSX's are decent looking.

My friend wants one and she's getting a little influenced by another friend that recently bought a new TSX.

Yes, it is roomier than the previous model - rear seats are comfortable but I wouldn't classify it as full size sedan roominess in the rear. But the V6 is impressed us the most especially when you compare it to the 4; plus it comes in 18" wheels - but puny rear brakes! And with the Tech option, you get gadgets galore, and finally an iPod connection!

We test drove several end-of-lease 2007 TL just to make sure if the TL had better value. Even though they had undergone full dealer inspections, the quality was totally missing in 25-30K miles in terms of rattle etc. ..... where the car is manufactured (not just the brand/model name) does indeed make a difference.

CT Engineering offers a CF beak, and some have painted it black. But the TSK beak is quite aceptable when you compare it to the TL, RL and now the 2010 MDX.

exactly

hmmm.. looks like i'll be advising my friend to get a new one then :biggrin:
(well, at least the second gen one, certified used would be great)

The european accord has a nicer looking grill, I'm wondering if it will fit the usdm TSX..

indeed it does look a lot nicer

Honda_Accord_front_%282008%29.jpg

Last edited:
Back