• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you choose the proper anti-sway bars?

In my quest to improve an already great car, and reduce a little bit of body roll, I started looking around for a nice set of anti-sway bars. The problem is, how do you know which ones to choose?? I want some bars that improve the handling of the car, not hamper it. Admittedly I am not good at picking out things like this in an informed manner...so here I am!! Please help me choose the most effective set-up...thanks! :)

Try the Type R bar from SOS with the Type R braces. Wow! All Honda OEM great fit and and Honda R&D.

I have posted a table of the available suspensions and their spring rates several times. I have the NSX type front bar with the stock rear bar- which is what the NSX-R uses. BUT I have the NSX type R springs and dampers which are all tuned for each other and quite stiff.

I gather that you have stock springs and shocks so I would recommend the Zanardi front bar ONLY. There is no point buying the type R bar if you don't have the stiff type R suspension that it was designed for. If you are looking for a complete suspension which is good for the road and track I would recommend the Zanardi for a balanced set. The type R setup is only for serious trackers.

As a regular to this website do a search! This has been discussed in DETAIL many times.

OLDE GUY said:
I have posted a table of the available suspensions and their spring rates several times. I have the NSX type front bar with the stock rear bar- which is what the NSX-R uses. BUT I have the NSX type R springs and dampers which are all tuned for each other and quite stiff.

I gather that you have stock springs and shocks so I would recommend the Zanardi front bar ONLY. There is no point buying the type R bar if you don't have the stiff type R suspension that it was designed for. If you are looking for a complete suspension which is good for the road and track I would recommend the Zanardi for a balanced set. The type R setup is only for serious trackers.

As a regular to this website do a search! This has been discussed in DETAIL many times.

Really! I put on just the Type R sway and Type R bars and haven't had any problems. The slight body roll I was expierencing is gone and the ride is not unduly stiff. Is this beacause I have an 04?

So with the Type-R units installed it is a notable improvement, correct? I know I have the Dali bars on my '91 NSX and you can notice it for sure.

Also, are there any negatives to getting the Type-R units?

Mitch,
OLDE GUY brings up a good point - choosing the right bars depends on (1) Your goal and (2) Your current or planned suspension set up. For the most part, the Type R front bar is for the track (because it works well with the really stiff Type R springs), but it can work well on a street driven NSX if you balance and work with all of the suspension components.

I'll share what I use for my street driven NSX (I don't track it). This is from knowledge gained from NSXprime, other suspension tuning websites and from my own experimentation.

My goal: Slightly stiffer suspension, reduce body roll and make the car near balanced, with a tendency to understeer (to keep it safe). I've had my experience with snap-oversteer and I don't want to experience that again.

1. OEM springs (1992 model year)
2. Bilstein on lower perch
3. Zanardi rear sway (its stiffer than the stock bar)
4. Type R front sway (you can use the Zanardi front sway if you don't want to go with a big front bar like the Type R, but the parts guy at Acura told me its basically the same as the non-Zanardi coupe)
5. 215/40/17 front tires @31 cold PSI on a 17x8 rim. Offset pushes rim to 1/2 inch of fender lip
6. 275/35/18 rear tires @ 38 cold PSI on a 18x10 rim. Offset pushes rim to 1/2 inch of fender lip. Tires on rear are softer compound than front tires, but same brand and similar tread pattern/model.
7. Front alignment: stock toe setting (mid-point). About 1 degree negative camber
8. Rear alignment: stock toe setting (mid-point). About 2.2 degree negative rear camber

So, what did I find with this setup?

1. Before I put the front Type R sway on, I used the Zanardi rear sway with the stock 1992 front sway. I did this because my huge rear wheels and tires were giving me too much understeer and a larger rear sway would help counteract that. In this case the rear sway was stiffer than the front. It worked. I got oversteer and the car was more oversteer-prone. It was nice being able to guide the tail with small inputs, but I started getting nervous about the oversteer-prone setup. It was fun to take corners with the rear coming around quickly, but it's not a safe thing for the street.

2. This weekend I put the Type R bar front sway in to get some understeer back and to reduce body roll. Well, that worked too. The understeer came back and the car isn't as tail happy now. This setup will work fine and is safe, but it's just a little too much understeer for me and I want more of a balanced setup with slight understeer.

3. What's next. I'm adding an Okayama rear strut tower brace to see if I can stiffen the rear end some more. If that doesn't give me enough, I'll reduce the rear tire width by 10mm (to 265/35/18). Finally, if that doesn't work, I'll adjust the rear toe (less toe). These items are corrections for understeer.

4. Of couse, I could also adjust the handling with stiffer springs (like the Type R setup), but my goal is a slightly stiffer ride, not a very stiff ride, so new springs wouldn't work me.

One other option which I forgot to mention: Leave it alone and drive the car with the stock suspension, alignment and tires. That will save some money, but may not get at your goals; whatever they may be. :smile:

Last edited:
Thank for the detailed feedback...here are my goals and current set-up.

1.) Reduce body roll and reduce some of the understeer the car has. I am running stock 16/17 wheels and tire sizes now, but may upgrade to a 17/18 setup later with appropriate tire sizes.

2.) I am okay with a stiff ride as long as it delivers performance. I will drive 98% street with some track. I drive very fast all the time so I want the handling and will compromise ride comfort for it.

Right now I have Bilstein shocks on the upper perch with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Everything else on the suspension is stock....for now... :tongue:

Her is a portion of the Spring Rate Table which I mentioned:

TYPE...........................FRONT.............REAR.............RATIO

'99 NSX Zanardi..............363...............279..............130%
1/2" lower

'97 NSX S / Zero.............448...............336..............133%
1/2' lower

'02 NSX Type-R..............582...............465..............125%
1/2" lower

Ground (Race).................601...............501..............120%

Ground (Street)...............375...............501................75%

Comptech Pro.............1002..............601................167%

Eibach Pro.....................228.............137-280..........112%-81%
1" lower

H&R.............................260..............275
1.5" lower

Notice that the performance versions (bold print) of the NSX designed by Honda and Comptech use higher spring rates in the front and their front anti-roll bars are designed to work with them. You are using Eibach Pro springs with quite a progressive rate on the rear and Bilstein dampers so you might want to specifically ask members with that combination for suggestions. See what works best with them.

Last edited:
L5-S1NSX said:
I just had the Comptech sways installed , very Nice !!

I'll second that -- the CT swaybars are very nice.

NOTE - the front CT swaybar can rub against the radiator hose on 94 and older cars. I had to get a set of swaybar spaceres used on the newer cars in order for the bar to clear the hose. See this thread.

-- Joe

Meeyatch1 said:
1.) Reduce body roll and reduce some of the understeer the car has.....

2.) I am okay with a stiff ride as long as it delivers performance. I will drive 98% street with some track......

Right now I have Bilstein shocks on the upper perch with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. .....
Knowing the above, I would recommend a set of Zanardi springs and the Zanardi front anti-rollbar. Then you will be all set. Incidentally the Zanardi springs, like the type R, are slightly progressive.

OLDE GUY said:
Knowing the above, I would recommend a set of Zanardi springs and the Zanardi front anti-rollbar. Then you will be all set. Incidentally the Zanardi springs, like the type R, are slightly progressive.

If I'm not mistaken the Zanardi and Type-S front bar is pretty much the same as the OEM coupe.

Go with the Type-R front sway and the Type-R chassis stabilizer bars. Haven't heard a negative thing about that combo yet from anyone. A great mod combo with tangible performance results and a great price. You should be at ~$600-700 out the door w/ install at most.

As a side note, I've never read of anyone touting the progressive nature of the Zanardi or the Type-R springs. I suspect that "slightly" is the key word here.

I'd highly recommend the Dali progressive springs. The final rates are close to the Zanardi/Type-S setup and the initial rates are OEM smooth--a true progressive spring. If you want something stiffer, I'm afraid less progressive is the only way to go based on what I've seen on the market.

Mitch, aren't you glad that you asked?
No doubt about it, most people like the suspensions that they own.
I still would pay attention to what Honda engineers have designed and tuned for the mid-engine NSX. You have two choices: Zanardi and type R.

IMO you will not be able to cure the problems associated with the Eibach Pro springs by simply getting an anti-roll bar. At the minimum, put the stock springs back on, set the Bilsteins on the lower perch and get a Honda anti-roll bar: Zanardi or type R. If you want handling, get rid of the Eibachs! The reason you don't hear much about the Zanardi setup is that it doesn't lower the NSX much (1/2 inch) and it is quite a bit more expensive than H&R, Eibach, Dali, Etc. Suspension components should be matched: it doesn't make good sense to have the relatively soft Eibach springs and the big, type R anti-roll bar. That's no way to balance the suspension. The Bilstein dampers are tuned more for stock springs or possibly the Zanardi. The goal should be to balance out the suspension components - if you want good peformance!

Some very experienced NSX DE drivers have used the Zanardi suspension and liked it. You might get more of an informed response to your question if you posted it in the Track Forum where the posters are more concerned about performance and less about lowering. You won't read much about Dali springs there :wink:

Last edited:
NSXGMS said:
As a side note, I've never read of anyone touting the progressive nature of the Zanardi or the Type-R springs. I suspect that "slightly" is the key word here..
No touting here - just stating a design fact which is noted on both the SOS and Dali websites. :wink:

Last edited:
I have the CT sways and like them a lot. The body roll is markedly reduced. They did make the suspension a tad stiffer, but generally sway bars aren't designed to make the ride stiffer. I also have the CT non-compliant set up, and my car is lowered 1/2 inch if that matters.

Sway bars give you a great bank for the buck performance, and if you don't like them they will be easy to sell.

Zanardi susp. on '91...

What would be the recommendation in terms of sway bars for a '91 NSX w/ 17/17 aftermarket wheels ('02-'05 OEM size/offset), rear OEM coupe strut bar, and Zanardi suspension (shocks/springs)? My NSX is primarily for street use (enthusiast drives in Hill-Country/canyons, random trip to 1/4mi 'strip, and very-very occasional HPDE). I've spent time in a '99 Zanardi NSX and '05 NSX-R, I found the latter's overall setup to be intolerable for conventional use.

I'm not sure of the NSX-R front sway bar's compatibility w/ the Zanardi suspension... :confused:

Comptech/Dali/SOS sway bars are (f) & (r) adjustable. A better option than the NSX-R front & Type_S rear sway bars?

I can't find anything on the SOS website that say's they don't recommend using the the Type R bars w/o using the Type R springs and shocks. Cost wise the three Type R bars are less expensive than a set of CT sways.

sources...

WingZ said:
Cost wise the three Type R bars are less expensive than a set of CT sways.

I *believe* Comptech sway bars can be discounted by an Acura dealer, Comptech_USA, or Nopi. I've seen them regular priced for $314'ish, but that was just an online vendor (no discount extended, nor requested).

Seems like Dali-Racing has the most hardcore and broadest range of sways for various applications (street, street/track, track).

Now, those NSX-R chassis/stabilizer pieces are a racket (but I'll still buy 'em)! Flat, aluminum bars w/ drilled holes... grrr! I am tempted to just melt/mold my 15/16 phat-5'z into some NSX-O chassis/stabilizer bars for rad' & front-compartment... :biggrin:

NSXGMS said:
If I'm not mistaken the Zanardi and Type-S front bar is pretty much the same as the OEM coupe.

Go with the Type-R front sway and the Type-R chassis stabilizer bars. Haven't heard a negative thing about that combo yet from anyone. A great mod combo with tangible performance results and a great price. You should be at ~$600-700 out the door w/ install at most.

As a side note, I've never read of anyone touting the progressive nature of the Zanardi or the Type-R springs. I suspect that "slightly" is the key word here.

I'd highly recommend the Dali progressive springs. The final rates are close to the Zanardi/Type-S setup and the initial rates are OEM smooth--a true progressive spring. If you want something stiffer, I'm afraid less progressive is the only way to go based on what I've seen on the market.

Zanardi Springs/ Old Type S springs are not progressive (I have these)
New Type S (02+) and New Type R (02+) springs ARE progressive.
I am not sure if the Zanardi/Old Type S and the new Type S sway bar are the same, but I doubt it.

Mitch,

As I side note, I have Zanardi Springs/Comptech Sways/Konis and the R braces. Its pretty stiff for the street, but it sure feels nice on the Dragon. If I ever get to catch up with you in person, you are welcome to take it for a spin.

Thank you for everyone responses....here is what I have gleened so far, so please correct me if I am off base. For the best performance I need to ditch my Eibach Pro-Kit, set my Bilstein shocks on the lower perch, and buy the NSX Type-R springs, chassis bars and sways?

Where can these parts be purchased and how much are they?

White94 said:
...Mitch,

As I side note, I have Zanardi Springs/Comptech Sways/Konis and the R braces. Its pretty stiff for the street, but it sure feels nice on the Dragon. If I ever get to catch up with you in person, you are welcome to take it for a spin.

Thanks!! Hopefully you can make it next month when I am there. :)

Back