• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you dry the NSX after washing it?

My entire neighborhood and family too, thinks that I am out of control. :eek:

It was one day when it daunted on me while sitting at one of those gas station car wash while my wife was getting her Accord wash.:confused:

At the end of the cycle, one of those powerful loud blow dryer comes on and most of her car is dried.

I decided to replicate this by going to Home Depot and buying a leaf blower.

So now, after every time I wash my car, I use a leaf blower to dry it.:biggrin:

Anyone have any other cool ideas?

I use a leaf blower as well:biggrin:, great at getting water out of small crevices. Finish up with a shammy.

I use two old lint-free bath towels. The first one pulls most of the water off with one pass, followed immediately with the second towel that finishes it off.

Wet towel/Dry towel

A chamois is just too much work.

Last edited:
My entire neighborhood and family too, thinks that I am out of control. :eek:

It was one day when it daunted on me while sitting at one of those gas station car wash while my wife was getting her Accord wash.:confused:

At the end of the cycle, one of those powerful loud blow dryer comes on and most of her car is dried.

I decided to replicate this by going to Home Depot and buying a leaf blower.

So now, after every time I wash my car, I use a leaf blower to dry it.:biggrin:

Anyone have any other cool ideas?

Yes I do. But that wouldn't be one of them.

My dad started doing this 25 years ago and i laughed at him, now, it's the only way to go. And then i finish with a chamois.

I use to wash my other black car with distilled water from a chemical pump sprayer, that is when my family and friends knew i was crazy.

I had to edit this because it was a lot longer than i remembered. I'm that old?

Last edited:
Leaf blowers work great, just be sure you use an electric one.
Gas powered blowers can impart bits of oil into the airstream........

Brian
(we use cotton & microfiber towels to dry the car)

I use a blower of sheets to dry the engine, the bottom of the frame (under the car) and to dry the passages of wheels (rims and brake)…never on painting, for the body, I take microfibre… I does it since years and it's a good thing:smile:

Last edited:
NEVER NEVER USE A SHAMMY,,,,,,,,,, the shammy actually holds any dirt grans and then you scratch the shit outta your ca.r tiny tiny scratches, I have a BLACK NSX so mine shows the scratches like a magnifying glass, other colors are not bad but over time it will start to show. only use
Brand new microfiber towels you can buy like 10 of them for 3 bucks at any store warmart/target etc. if I dont have any new ones then the car doesnt get washed till I do.

I watched this show on Discovery channel this guy owned this Exotic car wash company they charged like 12K each to wash these high end cars for the rich, and he said he doesnt even own a shammy, he would never use anything but new microfiber cloths to wash then a new one to dry it . with a 100K car you only use the best and only NEW.

I know our car isnt a 100K car but I treat her like one. the price of 50 new microfiber cloths is the same price as a new shammy. with the same ammount of use outta them, I use to use the shammy but after watching that show I threw them all away.

But the leaf blower idea is cool, but what if it sucks up some sand in the air? and then HURLS this dirt at 80MPH at your car? what would that do over time? not for my NSX.

Last edited:
I use a waffle microfiber towel. Usually with a little Meguiars product mixed in while the car is still wet.

12K each.

At 12K for a car detail I better be getting more than just a new microfiber towel to wash it down:biggrin:

But the leaf blower idea is cool, but what if it sucks up some sand in the air? and then HURLS this dirt at 80MPH at your car? what would that do over time? not for my NSX.

Never been an issue, it's not like I am blow drying the car on a windy day with sand everywhere and in general it wouldn't be any worse than driving your car at 80 mph through sand in the air. In any case if there is sand/dirt in the air, you would just shut the blower off.

I like the leaf blower idea for my other cars but not the NSX or Grand National. The cars are always garage kept and driven in dry weather only. Having owned the NSX for 9 months and the GN painted 2 years ago, I have not washed either car. My cars get a sponge bath, using detail mist spray with carnuba and a microfiber towel. I also have the complete kit for maintaining the paint - clay bar, polishing compound, oscilating polisher, wax etc... I use the good stuff JimmyG's but there are lots of others to choose, just not turtle wax...and never use a power ball polisher as its likely to leave swirl marks on your paint.

Not to long ago I picked up an NSX book from this guy who owned an MB S500 class AMG. His pride and joy and always kept under cover. When I asked him how he washed and took care of the car, his response was just like everybody else does. So he used the back of his hand to feel the finish/protection of the paint....it was like sandpaper. Took him over to my NSX to do the same thing, he said it was as smooth as a babies bottom.

Needless to say I'm off the deep end when it comes to maintaining my toys. My '91 Toyota Previa on the other hand has never seen wax other than at a drive through car wash. Oxidization has set in but that's my "parkitanywherecar" and gets a door ding a week I think as its getting hard to tell anymore.

I use two "absorber" chamois, one for the door jambs and one strictly for the paint.

I keep a bucket of clean water and rinse the chamois off after every panel.

I've used many chamois before and the absorber doesn't hold any particles in it so you don't have to worry about scratching. The nice thing about the absorber is they get better the longer you use them. Mine are about 7 years old and I can clean a car bone dry in less than five minutes.
I couldn't use a leaf blower...I'd be too afraid something in the air would get in the airstream and send it at the speed of sound into the paint.

I think another interesting thing to ask would be: What do you use to "wash" your car with. I think microfiber is the way to go.

Last edited:
what can you buy to add to household water to deionized it?? i hate seeing water spots after you dry the car..i don't feel so good about using high pressurize water at drive up car wash..don't know if their water been deionized or not..i'm afraid too much pressure will thin the clear coat or something..
maybe i'm paranoid but who knows..

Speedblade.jpg

and then:

253593.jpg

Sold at Walmart and costco.

Never scratched a Black car.

what can you buy to add to household water to deionized it?? i hate seeing water spots after you dry the car..i don't feel so good about using high pressurize water at drive up car wash..don't know if their water been deionized or not..i'm afraid too much pressure will thin the clear coat or something..
maybe i'm paranoid but who knows..

I always pour a little white vinegar in my water of washing and of rinsing to destroy limestone :cool:, the soap foams better and there does not remain trace! :smile:

Back