• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long does the new car smell last?

Okay, I'll add to this OLD post just on the chance that some people might be reading it...

IMO, the best car smell I have ever known comes from the inside of my NSX. I use 303 on all vinyl, Zymol leather conditioner on the leather of course, and (the secret) a new car smell pine-tree freshener that I throw under the passenger seat (thanks Rogerm for this tip). It DOES NOT smell like a new car, but it does have a very unique, very sophisticated smell that I get complimented on ALL the time.

Vizal said:
Redshift,

Can you post a link or pics of what kind of Pine-Tree freshener you're specificly speaking of?

Thank you. :smile:

12226pro-Tree-new-car.jpg
+
12226treat.jpg
= :biggrin:

People, that NEW car smell is very hard to duplicate because it is a smell from all the adhesives and sealants used to put the interior together. This is called "gassing off" and the more technical mumbo jumbo would be Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's). This is the same greasy film that builds up on your windows and is areal bugger to remove!

Many people get sick from the smell, get dizzy, headaches and nausea. The same smell comes from anything new, like a newly carpeted house, tiled or painted bathrooms, etc. It is the adhesives and materials releasing these compounds as they dry or flash off. It is not "leather" that you are smelling but rather the materials used to make the leather seats, glues that hold the vinyl down and the carpet down.

As for leather, about 90% of all leathers made today for cars are finished with a clear coat, especially Asian cars, so using a traditional leather conditioner made for aniline (non-coated) leather is not recommended (like Hide Food) because it may be bad for the coated leather films. One should use a water based dressing on coated leathers instead of lanolin based conditioners. 303, Meguiars, Optimum, ValuGard and several other companies make dressings to be used on these types of leathers.

Hope that helps,
Anthony

Just a quick update... I cut the pine tree in half so that it doesn't overpower.

Anthony: I'm aware of where the new car smell comes from, I don't think the pine tree version actually smells like a new car :smile: .

Anthony Orosco said:
I just throw my gym socks in that back seat.... :biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Actually Anthony, I have a question for you about the leather conditioner I am using... Zymol. Is it not good for my seats? Can you recommend your favorite treatment for our clear coated leather? Thanks for you input!!

redshift said:

Actually Anthony, I have a question for you about the leather conditioner I am using... Zymol. Is it not good for my seats? Can you recommend your favorite treatment for our clear coated leather? Thanks for you input!!
Lexol are what all the experts I talk to use....

http://www.lexol.com/

I have a bottle of the Lexol cleaner and Lexol of conditioner at home that I use.

redshift said:

Lexol is OK but there are better products out there. I highly recommend Leathermaster http://www.topoftheline.com/aulekit.html

They have a variety of cleaners and conditioners for all types of leather, even nu-buck. A leather glue and also a special cleaner for ink transfer BUT it is a strong cleaner so use with caution.

I use Leathermaster on all of my full details and then for general upkeep I use Optimum's Protectant Plus which is designed for use with coated leathers and it is a very low shine formula. What I like most about it is that it will not streak when it gets wet, like when you open your door and some rain might land on the door panel which causes the majority of interior dressings to streak. Of course UV absorbers to prevent fading and a polymer to reduce friction are big pluses also :biggrin:

Hope that helps,
Anthony

That brings up an interesting question that i've been meaning to ask. What probably is best for the car interior in terms of keeping the interior smell...

I regularly vacume to try and keep particulates out of the car. But I'm wondeing if its best when driving around to keep the air circulating from outside, or just recycle the air inside? I'd think recycling the air inside would be best, especially with AC on to keep it super dry.

Thoughts? :D

I don't really like pine tree smell cause it will remind me of how many Sh** it drops on my cars throughout the year (Spring=flowers that melts and eat in your paint, Summer=sticky but good smelling syrup, Fall= dry leaves, Winter= Broken branches)

Anyway, count me in to those who hated the new car smell. (No I'm not Japanese, but closed ;) ) And yes that smell did made me "get dizzy, headaches and nausea". In fact the guy who replaced my last windshield on my accord put some sort of glue that still making me sick, if i had my accord sit for more than 2 weeks.

My only fight back is to buy those Glade plug in fragrance, I don't know how many people, especially girls comment on my car's smell. It's very cheap, and it lasted for long long time. You can find them in so many different smell, and not overpowering.
The good place for the nsx is the ash tray area, which get a little warm and help releasing / trapping the smell at your will.

Back