• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How the NSX has changed my life.

Okay, so I was looking around and cleaning the garage, and the NSX was sitting there, and I really started thinking, 'Damn...I have had an NSX for over half of my life,' and I started to reflect on how much of an impact the NSX has had on me.

I remember back in 1991 when I was all of 15 years old and Fort Wayne Acura had a Formula Red and Berlina Black NSX that they would move onto the front grass in front of the dealership every morning. With the slope of the grass, you could see the beautiful aluminum suspension, and the cars were my obsession. I would drive there at night, turn on the high beams in my 1990 Honda Accord EX and hope the light shined bright enough through the service bay doors for me to see the shape of the NSXs in there over night. :)

Then in 1992 they had an amazing Grand Prix White NSX at the Indianapolis Auto Show, and I swore then and there that if I ever owned one I would drive it every day, but I thought that there was no way in hell that I would ever be able to afford such an amazing machine. It was perfect, and I wanted one.

Over the next couple of years I gathered every piece of NSX info that I could find, and dreamed of ever just sitting in one. Then, at 17, I got at job washing cars at Acura just to be close the NSXs that would come in every few months. Eventually all of the NSX owners knew me, and requested that I was the only one to touch their cars when cleaning them. Finally my chance to drive one came when I had to bribe the Service Manager by giving him $50 and a case of beer to pick up an NSX from the body shop and drive it back to the dealership so that I could experience heaven. I can still tell you where that car is today, because I have kept track of the car that changed my life. :)

Hearing that motor. Feeling that steering. Sitting in those seats. Feeling like I was 10 steps closer to heaven by simply driving that wonderful car. Everything was in that first drive. The sound of the VTEC....oh that sound. It was game over at that point. I was in love.

A year later, as chance would have it, I would meet my 'surrogate family' and I would suddenly be using a 1992 Sebring Silver NSX as my daily driver.

Being behind the wheel of a car you never thought you would experience, and then having that car be your daily driver, is proof to me that God exists in some form. That car was a part of me. People started identifying NSX with me, and I was okay with that. I was 18 years old, and NONE of my friends had a car as cool as the NSX. I loved that car so much. Whenever a girl would break up with me, or my family would do something that made me want to disappear, I would go drive the NSX. The car made me whole again.

As I got older the NSX got traded for a 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet (NOT my choice), and I had to get another one. I was going to Chicago a lot at the time, so I purchased a 1991 NSX with an automatic transmission. Happy to have the car, but the auto trans killed it for me. However, anyone that has spent more than a day in Chicago will tell you that an automatic transmission just makes sense.

Years passed, I stopped having to go to Chicago as much, and I bought another NSX to go with it. I bought my 1994 Grand Prix White NSX with a manual transmission. I went through some serious shit during that time in my life. My parents got divorced, I was totally screwed over by other family members, and I considered just checking out and not living anymore. But no matter what, when I hit my low, my NSX was there. I would fire up the motor and just smile and drive. Drive to Florida, North Carolina, Chicago....wherever....and everything was better. At some point I sold the 1991 NSX, after having two NSXs for about 8 years, and the 1994 became my baby. I would not sell this car for the world. Even with almost 180,000 miles I have had offers on my car of $35k up until this past May because it is so nice, but I will not sell it. My statement to friends is that, 'If you see this NSX for sale, it means that I am dead,' and that is a serious statement. I love this car. It has been a part of my life in so many ways. Track days all over the country. Concerts with people standing on the roof. Hauling mulch. Hauling mowers. Daily driver in snow storms and blizzards. This car has never let me down. It has been more reliable than my family and friends.

Why am I writing this? Because it is important for people to know that for some of us this is not 'just a car'. It is a way of life. It is a state of mind. It is joy. It IS life. Without the NSX in my life, I can honestly say that my life would not have been anywhere near as fulfilling. It has been my best friend and my escape. For some of us the NSX is what life is about. It is my escape from all that haunts me. Some day I hope to pass the car to my daughter and have her appreciate it, and the joy it brings. Another generation of NSX fan. Another generation able to escape the pressures of life.

Phantomingarageblackandwhite.jpg

Last edited:
There's a lot of sadness in your story. Cars are very enjoyable, but in the end they're just metal and plastic. They can't hug you back or return affection and they can let you down just like people do at times. Find a good woman. She'll complete what's missing. :wink:

Wow, Jim, that's pretty random. Don't be too hard on the kid. (tow vehicle, rifle rack? Must be an inside story there somewhere...)

Meeyatch's Manifesto. Every one of us has a somewhat similar story I'm sure.

:biggrin:

thats awesome great read .:smile:

yeah find a girl and get married. have a kid it changes every single way your brain calculates your actions.

I think my son is a year old now and he is starting to talk and it puts a smile on your face to see him growing. then the thought of punching out.
will never cross your mind again. I think we have all been there at one point in our lives.

but your right about the NSX will be forsale when im dead LOL

she will be with me intill I teach my son how to drive Stick.

cheer up go take a spin.

Great post Mitch, thanks for sharing.

I'm a tad older than you but I have had a similar lust for the car since it came out in 1991 (btw I was 22 back then) but I couldn't get one into my life until 2004, which is still with me. I joke about selling my car and there are days where I am serious about it but thoughts seem to dissipate as soon as I get inside my NSX. When I hear people talk smack about these cars, or newbies on Prime shopping for one who seems to like them but still can't understand why they cost so much "for such an old car", I just feel sorry for them cuz they just don't get it. Guys who sell for a so called "upgrade", only to regret the decision and buy another NSX...they get it. :wink:

I do agree with the comments about a soulmate and a kid to realign life's compass. I wish you good luck in life and NSX ownership brother. :cool:

I believe Mitch did find the girl, is married and has a daughter. It's all good.

Mitch, my S2000s have been to me what your NSXs have been to you. I get it. Thank you for sharing.

An NSX can indeed be ‘Just a car,’ unless the owner derives more from it than the appliance that it was made to be. For me, the NSX is the least ‘just’ of any object I’ve owned. That word belittles the significance of a thing that has a real and ongoing impact in my life, providing things that give life color and meaning.
This car has been the catalyst to meeting a large number of friends. The driving of it is an outlet for stress. It has carried my wife and me across deserts, through forests, up mountains, through cities; it carried us away when we got married. It provides a worthy focal point for my spare time and cash. It has lead me to spend many happy hours reading threads on niche websites (like this one). It’s something that I longed for too many years to dismiss so lightly. Forgive me for being so shallow, but it makes me happy.
It’s more to me than aluminum and glass and rubber. Somehow to say ‘just’ denigrates all the other positives.

What a great story! thanks Meeyatch...I feel there's a few of us that feel this way either about the NSX or cars in general.

I too was 15 and fondly remember the first sight and the feeling of lust that continues today...:smile:

I believe Mitch did find the girl, is married and has a daughter. It's all good.

Mitch, my S2000s have been to me what your NSXs have been to you. I get it. Thank you for sharing.

You are correct. I did get married (met her on www.s2ki.com acually...we both had S2000s :) ), and we have a magnificent daughter that is a car girl in training, and the center of my life. Take that and add it to the joy my NSX brings me, and life is pretty good now. :)

Daddy's baby girl loves to help Daddy wash the cars. :)

DSC_0837.JPG

Hey mitch

great read my friend...i hope to one day be in your position and be able to finally buy that nsx ive always dreamed of ...when the nsx debut in 1991 i was all of 11 years old lol ...i dont think i remember when i first notice or known what an nsx was until i was about your age when i was about to get my licence...

but like i said i can totally identify with you and would love to one day be in your position :smile:

You are correct. I did get married (met her on www.s2ki.com acually...we both had S2000s :) ), and we have a magnificent daughter that is a car girl in training, and the center of my life. Take that and add it to the joy my NSX brings me, and life is pretty good now. :)

Daddy's baby girl loves to help Daddy wash the cars. :)

DSC_0837.JPG

That's great Mitch, glad things are going good for you now:smile:.

Great story Mitch. Your Mercedes is nice though too!

Ya coming to expo this year?

Stephen

Thanks! The E63 AMG is a total monster! I mean, 507 hp, 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds, and in a FOUR DOOR!! But while it is very fast, I love my NSX more. :)

Back