• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How the NSX has changed my life.

Have to add my story because of similarities...

I was 11-12 in 1990 when the first NSX hit Pikes Peak Acura in Colorado Springs. Dad took me there and we stood outside the red velvet rope in awe, assuming we'd never own something like that. I still have the brochure from that visit. A friend's dad leased a new one in 1995 or something like that and I got to drive it and was sold even more (another high school friend's dad currently has an NSX as his everyday car...so pretty good rate of ownership going on there). I remember sitting in the Chicago airport reading Road and Track's "Tochigi's Road Rocket Get a Bigger Booster" issue about the NA2. Later that year (or the next?) my dad picked up a 1991. He was very gracious in how much I was allowed to drive it and almost 6 years ago it became mine.

At one point I swore it would be foolish to own and not drive daily...but mine is a garage queen (though occasionally I consider switching to DD duty).

This morning on the way to preschool my 4.5-year-old daughter said, "when I'm old enough to drive this can be my car." I explained that a new driver wouldn't get a car like this because of the learning period and likelihood of accidents, etc. She replied, "Ok, I'll drive mom's van first, but once I've learned to drive, maybe after a week, then I'll drive this." While she is looking head I kind of wish she would just stay 4 forever...what a great age.

I do try to explain that it is just a car. In many ways it has become such to me and I've considered selling several times. As long as I have it I think a major purpose of such is to have an excuse to take one of my daughters (there are two more, 2.5 years and 1 month) out on "a date" so I can have quality time with each of them one-on-one. It is nice having the kid sit up front with you to talk, etc.

Here is a picture of the oldest at 18 months old helping me wash the car. She is also the one in my avitar (at a few months old).

2963518424_ffb91bc1a7_z.jpg

Last edited:
"A year later, as chance would have it, I would meet my 'surrogate family' and I would suddenly be using a 1992 Sebring Silver NSX as my daily driver."

wow...:eek: please tell???

Great story but...

I had to bribe the Service Manager by giving him $50 and a case of beer to pick up an NSX from the body shop and drive it back to the dealership so that I could experience heaven. I can still tell you where that car is today, because I have kept track of the car that changed my life. :)

Hearing that motor. Feeling that steering. Sitting in those seats. Feeling like I was 10 steps closer to heaven by simply driving that wonderful car. Everything was in that first drive. The sound of the VTEC....oh that sound. It was game over at that point.

Phantomingarageblackandwhite.jpg

...this is kinda scary. Driving somebody else's NSX from the body shop and hitting VTEC.

This are the kind of stories that makes me not want to get rid of the NSX...

My turn : I was a youg kid probably 16 back in Puerto Rico, remember that I had to get a fake driver license to be able to work in a security guard company ( at 16 I could only work at mcdonalds or something part time in Puerto Rico, I needed a full time job because I had to support myself at that age)

Well there I was at around 8 am working since the night before opening the gate for a hospital and here it was .... A black on tan NSX driven by the main doctor ... He had several cars but Fridays were the day for the NSX , I used to go to the parking after my shift ended just to touch it and feel the curves of the car, it was amazing ... Then I would get in my crappy datsun and dream away.

It's just a car..... But just knowing the history of this car makes you feel special that you found one and it's yours!!!!

You are correct. I did get married (met her on www.s2ki.com acually...we both had S2000s :) ), and we have a magnificent daughter that is a car girl in training, and the center of my life. Take that and add it to the joy my NSX brings me, and life is pretty good now. :)

Daddy's baby girl loves to help Daddy wash the cars. :)

DSC_0837.JPG

Mitch... What as sad story, but a beautiful ending! Your daughter is beautiful! Your legacy can be to provide her the family environment you never had.

For those who think a car is just metal and plastic, well they can feel that way if they want. But for me the NSX has a soul. I can feel it when I drive it.

Gary

NSX is by far NOT just a car, it's my therapy. I'm loving those wheels Mitch

BTW, Mitch, how old is your daughter now?

Just over 26 months. She will get in the car and refuse to get out. It is pretty hilarious. The other day she was taking coins and 'depositing' them in the 'bank' that she calls the air vents of the NSX. It was pretty funny. I did make her try to fish them out (with Daddy's help of course). :D

NSXandMaddyventfishing.jpg

"I love this car. It has been a part of my life in so many ways. Track days all over the country. Concerts with people standing on the roof. Hauling mulch. Hauling mowers. Daily driver in snow storms and blizzards. This car has never let me down. It has been more reliable than my family and friends."

I just had a thread where people told me why they would not drive in the rain, and you haul mulch??? Allow people to stand on roof? Obviously you have a passion for the car, but, dude, WTF?

"I love this car. It has been a part of my life in so many ways. Track days all over the country. Concerts with people standing on the roof. Hauling mulch. Hauling mowers. Daily driver in snow storms and blizzards. This car has never let me down. It has been more reliable than my family and friends."

I just had a thread where people told me why they would not drive in the rain, and you haul mulch??? Allow people to stand on roof? Obviously you have a passion for the car, but, dude, WTF?

Mulch was in bags, so no big deal. Roof standing was something that was not encouraged at all, but happened (downside of parking in a huge field and having drunk people around), so there is a cool story behind it, and the car was not hurt...so no big deal again. Blizzards and snow....car is aluminum, so no rust, and I wash the underside of the car multiple times per year by hand (I doubt very many people at all do that to their NSX, no matter what the usage).

I love my car, and anyone that actually knows me in person knows that, and can attest to the fact it is in better overall condition at 181,000 miles and counting than many you will find with 50,000 miles on them. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Your love for the car is apparent. I loved reading your story and the enthusiasm you have for the car. And I had not at the time seen the threads showing the mower in your trunk and the mulch in bags. Now that i have seen it and the care you took, my hat is off to you.

Personally, I agree with you. Love them, use them and take care of them. There is something just plain wrong about having a machine as nice as this and not using it.

Your love for the car is apparent. I loved reading your story and the enthusiasm you have for the car. And I had not at the time seen the threads showing the mower in your trunk and the mulch in bags. Now that i have seen it and the care you took, my hat is off to you.

Personally, I agree with you. Love them, use them and take care of them. There is something just plain wrong about having a machine as nice as this and not using it.

Thanks! Feel free to stop by for a cold beverage and gourmet cooked food if you are ever in the Indianapolis area. :)

Mitch's story reminds me that being an NSX owner has also changed my life... seriously... Here's the Cliff's notes: After a relentless career in hotels and restaurants in the 80's and 90's, I had become successful enough to buy an NSX in 2000. Then, I did my first track event. Then, I did more track events (it's a progressive affliction...). By then, being a multi-unit restaurant owner was a serious PITA and a distraction from track events. Then, I met Wei-Shen Chin, another NSX owner. We became good friends. Then, I became the General Manager of Chin Motorsports (2004). Now, Chin Motorsports is one of the leading providers of track events in the country (5,000 drivers a year attend a Chin Motorsports track event). I go to the track 60+ days a year, and have a career doing it.

Buying an NSX changed my life, oh hell yes. Today, there are 3 at my house.... :biggrin:

Well Guess I can share my story.

Before I saw my first NSX I knew nothing about cars, aside from they had 4 wheels, a gas pedal, and a brake pedal. In the summer of 1997 I was taking my mom's Saturn down to get normal service done(she pretty much wrote me a blank check and told me to drop off the car and wait for it) When her car was done I got a call from a friend(best friend now)asking if I could pick him up at the Acura dealership. Since it was down the road I of course told him sure. I walked into Acura Carland(which looked more like a bank with cars in it than any dealership I had ever been in before) and meet my friend at the service department. He was still busy signing paperwork for his dad's legend(later would be his) so I walk into the showroom and in the middle is this beautiful red 2 seater machine. I didn't know what a ferrari looked like but from descriptions I heard friends described at school I thought this was a Ferrari. I don't remember how long I was standing there or if I was drooling, but a salesman walks over and asks if I needed any help. "What is this" he replies an "Acura NSX" as he opens the door and offers me to sit inside. I remember grabing the steering wheel and saying I will have one of these one day. From that moment on, I was changed, guess you could say my soul had been stirred. I began learning more and more about cars and racing. My friend would take me up to Road Atlanta for the Petite LeMans, and I would watch the Speed World Challange and of course root for Pete Cunningham. It would take 13 yrs of dreaming before I would buy my 91 NSX. I don't remember when I joined Prime, but I remember when I posted about getting my 1st NSX, that so many members thought I already had one.

When I was about to give up on my dream, thinking I could never afford one, a owner of a black NSX, outside of Great China near Publix of Sugarhill GA, told me not to give up and keep saving. Wish I could find out who that was and thank him.

about 10 years of dreaming for me. i actually forgot about this dream for half a decade thanx to trying to start a business but i am dreaming in full force again. haha

great story, love hearing about nsx owners that do not take the ownership for granted.

It would take 13 yrs of dreaming before I would buy my 91 NSX. I don't remember when I joined Prime, but I remember when I posted about getting my 1st NSX, that so many members thought I already had one.

When I was about to give up on my dream, thinking I could never afford one, a owner of a black NSX, outside of Great China near Publix of Sugarhill GA, told me not to give up and keep saving. Wish I could find out who that was and thank him.

Word Mitch... word

There is only thing on this planet that separates one human from the other.. It is their point of view.

I read that whole post and thinks its cool that a car can do that for you. I wonder how much better the world would be if more manufactured products did this to more people

I guess your married with a daughter. And I'm sure they bring joy into your life at a level you couldnt explain on a car forum

I hope this is the only car forum that recommends a wife and kid to someone who likes their car more than others.

I have had the same passion since I was 15 years old too...

I still stare at and test drive as many attractive women as I can find..

If I could pay 50 bucks and some beer to my manager to pick up and drive one around... I'd actually sell my companies and go get a job.

:)

Well Guess I can share my story.

Before I saw my first NSX I knew nothing about cars, aside from they had 4 wheels, a gas pedal, and a brake pedal. In the summer of 1997 I was taking my mom's Saturn down to get normal service done(she pretty much wrote me a blank check and told me to drop off the car and wait for it) When her car was done I got a call from a friend(best friend now)asking if I could pick him up at the Acura dealership. Since it was down the road I of course told him sure. I walked into Acura Carland(which looked more like a bank with cars in it than any dealership I had ever been in before) and meet my friend at the service department. He was still busy signing paperwork for his dad's legend(later would be his) so I walk into the showroom and in the middle is this beautiful red 2 seater machine. I didn't know what a ferrari looked like but from descriptions I heard friends described at school I thought this was a Ferrari. I don't remember how long I was standing there or if I was drooling, but a salesman walks over and asks if I needed any help. "What is this" he replies an "Acura NSX" as he opens the door and offers me to sit inside. I remember grabing the steering wheel and saying I will have one of these one day. From that moment on, I was changed, guess you could say my soul had been stirred. I began learning more and more about cars and racing. My friend would take me up to Road Atlanta for the Petite LeMans, and I would watch the Speed World Challange and of course root for Pete Cunningham. It would take 13 yrs of dreaming before I would buy my 91 NSX. I don't remember when I joined Prime, but I remember when I posted about getting my 1st NSX, that so many members thought I already had one.

Well done. The important thing is that you achieved your goal, no matter how long it took. Some things in life just have that 'it' factor that cannot be substituted for, and stir you in a certain way. The NSX has been able to do that for me in its own way, and I am thankful for it. :)

Back