• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hybrid Acura NSX will be priced to rival Porsche 911 (around $105,000)

Another article confirming the price of NSX and basically the same info that Klaus provided at NSXPO.

http://ecomento.com/2013/10/29/hybrid-acura-nsx-will-priced-rival-porsche-911-around-105000/

The Acura NSX will provide bona fide supercar thrills for the price of a , according to the car’s chief development engineer.

“We’re looking for the excitement of the [Ferrari] 458 at the price of the [Porsche] 911,” Ted Klaus told Autocar. “We think hybrid technology can help us achieve that.”

The base Porsche 911 currently starts at $84,300, although the four-wheel drive Acura NSX will have more in common with the 400hp 911 Carrera 4S, which costs $105,630 before options. That figure tallies with the widespread estimations that the NSX will cost around $100,000, although ambitious engineering projects have a habit of becoming more expensive as time goes by.

The hybrid technology Klaus is referring to are the Acura NSX’s three electric motors mated to a mid-mounted V6 engine. The combination should be enough to provide V8 performance with four-cylinder fuel economy, Acura hopes. The car will be assembled in it’s own $70m plant in Ohio before deliveries begin in 2015. UK buyers have already had the opportunity to make a £5,000 deposit.

“The NSX has never been about a set of figures on a piece of paper,” Klaus said. “As with the original, the eventual power figure won’t grab headlines, for instance, but the qualities that you can’t write down, such as driver involvement and pleasure, are the ones that will matter.”

Klaus isn’t wrong about the original NSX, which made Ferrari sit up and pay attention with just 270hp when it was launched in 1990. It was light and the chassis was perfectly balanced, affording the driver confidence that rival cars couldn’t match.

A prototype Acura NSX recently got its first public shakedown at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course not far from the factory. It certainly looks and sounds dramatic enough, but how will it fare against the new BMW i8?

Makes sense as they were saying they'd price near the R8 which is $114k to start but also kept mentioning within the 911 range repeatedly. I've no idea why ppl kept trying to put it at $130k and make it this high hp turbocharged monster as that's never been what the NSX was about.

I imagine all sorts of bitching and moaning when the numbers are revealed but hey you guys did it to yourselves.

I can see that, since the chassis is probably tweaked from the original NSX with little R&D required, and a direct injected engine from the current 3.5 line, plus sharing the hybrid system with the RLX, I think they can make it happen. They will lose money if they don't sell enough, and they will not sell enough if it is priced attractively.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Nice editing job! The word "probably" was removed. If none of my guess is true, Honda must have a super design team to get this car designed from the ground up and have it out in three years, instead of the usual five to eight. The original NSX took 6 years and S2000 took them five years.

BTW, they did say the hybrid system will be first exercised on the RLX, so if you think it's a completely different system, I have all ears.

Regardless, if you have the actual tech information, please share! You know people are dying to know the exact spec.

Last edited:
Nice editing job! The word "probably" was removed.
Nice job of poor reading comprehension! No, it wasn't.

If none of my guess is true, Honda must have a super design team to get this car designed from the ground up and have it out in three years, instead of the usual five to eight.
If you think they didn't start the project until 2012, you're wrong.

And if you think they can't do things quickly, you haven't heard about what they did for the 2013 Civic redesign, after the poor reception of the all-new 2012 Civic. Not that the 2013 was all-new - it wasn't - but they did an amazing transformation in less than a year.

Regardless, if you have the actual tech information, please share! You know people are dying to know the exact spec.
Sounds like you didn't hear Ted Klaus speak at NSXPO 2013. Too bad for you.

Last edited:
No, I heard what he said, he gave no information other than what we already know. 3.5 liter hybrid with 3 E motors targeting 458; even in the latest video shown on another thread he refused to disclose anything information. Unless he have personally whipper in your ear, share it.

We do know they have been working on a hybrid system on an Accord Mule. Therefore, back to the point of 2012, how far back do you think they have been working on the car? Do you have proof? We know they were drawing cars, but nothing was decided until they gave it a shape for Iron Man.

So unless you hear more than I have, please enlighten me.

BTW, 2013 civic redesign was nothing more than fiddling with the car's skin and nothing new, any one of with a creative mind could have done that to eliminate the dullness of the 2011 model. The only car I know that was designed in less than 3 years was the F40, which in itself, was derived from 288.

So if you have proof that the car had more than just pencil sketch on a new body kit on the NSX, please present that.

Last edited:
No, I heard what he said
No, you didn't. You weren't there. Which is how you get so much stuff wrong - claiming things that just aren't true.

Therefore, back to the point of 2012, how far back do you think they have been working on the car? Do you have proof?
The rolling prototype used in the commercials aired during the Super Bowl at the start of 2012 is proof that they have been working on the car much earlier than that.

2013 civic redesign was nothing more than fiddling with the car's skin and nothing new
Wow, you sure get a lot of stuff wrong! :rolleyes: It had nothing to do with exterior re-styling, and everything to do with criticisms by Consumer Reports, who don't care about styling but do care about handling, performance, ride quality, noise, and safety. Improvements were made everywhere, including the exterior styling, interior design, noise, standard equipment, suspension, and steering, as described in this article in Car and Driver. In its review of the revamped model (May 2013), Consumer Reports said, "With a quick update, the Civic wins back its recommendation", and "The updated car rides a lot better and has a quieter cabin and improved steering, and the interior looks much nicer."

Anything else you'd like to get wrong, since you're on such a roll? :tongue:

Last edited:
That figure of $105k seems very hopefully optimistic to me.
The car has a brand new and clearly very advanced, lightweight chassis.
Has a 3.5li V6 that is either a very [very] highly tuned new engine or the existing 3.5li with enough changes to make it essentially new. It sounds awesome and def NA and not turbo from the sound of it....should rev up nicely like all good HONDA engines.
Has a beautiful body that is likely high on cf and aluminum.
Has a battery and three electric motors.
Has an interior that is just unreal looking.

All this and more, for less than a GTR Track? All this for the price of a base Carrera 4S ? An average optioned C4s easily hits $140+;

I will be shocked if this thing sells for anything less than the price of a 2014 GT3 ($130k) and the GT3 does not have many of the creature comforts that this thing surely will have {missing from the GT3 are keyless entry and drive for instance, not even an option}.

Fact is, if this new NSX is anything like it is being hoped it would be, the performance of a 458 Italia {$230K without any needed options, approaching $300k with the stuff you need and like} and the price of a "911", then the 911 they are talking about is definitely not the c4s or the c2s but rather the GT3 or the Turbo, which would mean a price still over $100k less than a 458 Italia. Over $150,000 however, the price of the NSX would make many question whether they should just go for the GT3 or the Porsche Turbo instead.......

Basically all we know as far as the price is concerned is this: more than $100,000 and less than $200,000

Last edited:
This really still gives up zero idea on possible price since both the 911 and R8 have about 100k price ranges from base to top of the line model. I would be shocked if this car is a penny less than 120k and I expect the price to raise every production year after the first production year much like the GTR did.

This really still gives up zero idea on possible price since both the 911 and R8 have about 100k price ranges from base to top of the line model. I would be shocked if this car is a penny less than 120k and I expect the price to raise every production year after the first production year much like the GTR did.

This will absolutely happen.

Has a 3.5li V6 that is either a very [very] highly tuned new engine or the existing 3.5li with enough changes to make it essentially new. It sounds awesome and def NA and not turbo from the sound of it....should rev up nicely like all good HONDA engines.

All this and more, for less than a GTR Track? All this for the price of a base Carrera 4S ? An average optioned C4s easily hits $140+;

I will be shocked if this thing sells for anything less than the price of a 2014 GT3 ($130k) and the GT3 does not have many of the creature comforts that this thing surely will have {missing from the GT3 are keyless entry and drive for instance, not even an option}.

Fact is, if this new NSX is anything like it is being hoped it would be, the performance of a 458 Italia {$230K without any needed options, approaching $300k with the stuff you need and like} and the price of a "911", then the 911 they are talking about is definitely not the c4s or the c2s but rather the GT3 or the Turbo, which would mean a price still over $100k less than a 458 Italia. Over $150,000 however, the price of the NSX would make many question whether they should just go for the GT3 or the Porsche Turbo instead.......

Basically all we know as far as the price is concerned is this: more than $100,000 and less than $200,000

But LC it's not being made in Europe or Japan for that matter hence production costs go down. If for example the Viper was made in Germany do you think it would still have the same price?

Alfa Romeo 4C is supposed to be $50-60k for 4cylinder turbo CF tub but not extremely sophisticated suspension. How much if that car was made here do you think the price would be? It's gonna be cheaper due to costs all around being cheaper. Next slap a Japanese name plate on it. How much more is that going to take down the price?

Plus Ted never once says the "performance" of a 458 but always the "excitement" of a 458.

Honestly comparing out any comparably equipped German car is always WAY pricier than a Japanese car just like Japanese cars are always much cheaper than German.

Honda thought the pricing on the RLX and that it's performance was comparable to the Germans. They figured wrong and my guess is they won't do that again.

Hope you are right WingZ, but look at the GTR, no exotic materials, crappy interior....price over $100k, although it is made in Japan.
The NSX engine, transmission and battery + electric motors are developed and built in Japan as well and shipped over here.
So some of that has to be taken into consideration.

Clearly, they are putting the NSX together here to save on cost, so hope there is a significant savings for the consumer.

I think HONDA may be making a mistake by being so vague about the price as many might actually start believing the "around a $100k" figure and when it comes out in 2 years at $130k or thereabouts, it might disappoint those people. On the other hand if they say it will be less than $150k, and actual price is $130k , it will look "cheap".

In reality, the car is still in development and it is unlikely they know how much it will cost especially since it is still quite a ways away and every improvement/change they contemplate is probably adding to the cost.

Supply and demand and exchange rates are huge factors for pricing. GTR looks like a turd but goes like stink. Demand out stripped supply. Nissan capitalize on it by Jacking up the price. Yen - dollar exchange rate 5 yrs ago in Oct 2008 was at 98, it dipped to 76 at Oct 2011, now it is at 97. Price went up partially to offset exchange rate but mostly for demand because 370Z (made in japan) only had a mariginal price increase. Given the yen is now at a rate that it was 5 years ago, Nissan didn't roll back the price on the GTR whereas it did on other models simply because of demand.

NSX price increase was largely attributed to the exchange rate, not counting the 1st year premiums for those that couldn't wait.

NSX being assembled in USA will help stablize price a bit, albeit the powertrain will still come from Japan. Ito made the decision to switch to USA shortly after the earthquake and the damaged to Tochigi. I always wonder if the decision has a larger vision of not only assemblying in the market where the vehicle is sold most, but also to bring price stability and not having to experience production problems attributed to earth quakes in Japan.

However, if the execution of the NSX misses the target market, then you can expect pricing to stay flat relative to inflation and the dollar. Remember the $10K NSX rebate back in the early-mid 2000? With all this hype surrounding 2nd gen NSX, demand will outstrip supply in the first year and perhaps pricing will settle down after that.

Manufacturers don't go into building a new vehicle without laying out the business case. Honda already knows the narrow range on price for the NSX. Possibly there will be different variants coming. Some cheaper than others.

As for me, I want the NSX variant with the LEAST amount of power on the lightest platform, sporting only one mode of propulsion channelled to only 2 wheels. Sound familiar anyone? Perhaps this will be the mini-NSX. If that doesn't happen, Porsche still builds the 6 cylinder Cayman/Boxster. A lightweight version of the Cayman/Boxster is only a couple years away. Chatter suggest that it may be more aggressively tuned than the previous gen Cayman R, perhaps a GT3 version of the Cayman.

Last edited:

Absolute same wavelength as you. Cheers! :D

No, you didn't. You weren't there. Which is how you get so much stuff wrong - claiming things that just aren't true.

The rolling prototype used in the commercials aired during the Super Bowl at the start of 2012 is proof that they have been working on the car much earlier than that.

Wow, you sure get a lot of stuff wrong! :rolleyes: It had nothing to do with exterior re-styling, and everything to do with criticisms by Consumer Reports, who don't care about styling but do care about handling, performance, ride quality, noise, and safety. Improvements were made everywhere, including the exterior styling, interior design, noise, standard equipment, suspension, and steering, as described in this article in Car and Driver. In its review of the revamped model (May 2013), Consumer Reports said, "With a quick update, the Civic wins back its recommendation", and "The updated car rides a lot better and has a quieter cabin and improved steering, and the interior looks much nicer."

Anything else you'd like to get wrong, since you're on such a roll? :tongue:

The 2013 revision is fantastic. It's much better and even the LX base model has some very nice options included like bluetooth and back up camera. The door panels could have been stepped up a bit too though (as I prefer the previous gen's door panel design still), but other than that it's a much better improvement and I am glad Honda was so quick to respond to criticism.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus Ted never once says the "performance" of a 458 but always the "excitement" of a 458.

I hope that excitement means exhaust tones that emulate the 458 or V10 LFA and HSV sounds :smile: Because aside from looks and performance, that is really the only other thing Ferrari offers, is the exotic sound. This really points towards NA power, because when turbos are introduced, the spool sounds take over and introduce a different experience completely that can be associated with tuner/ricer categories. I suppose you could say the same for a high revving Honda engine too though...

I'm just glad Honda has the 458 in their sights as the target, one way or another.

Honestly comparing out any comparably equipped German car is always WAY pricier than a Japanese car just like Japanese cars are always much cheaper than German.

Honda thought the pricing on the RLX and that it's performance was comparable to the Germans. They figured wrong and my guess is they won't do that again.

They just can't seem to get the RLX right can they? Perhaps they just don't want to sell that many flagships lol. Atleast if you own one, then there is a certain exclusive factor to it and not everyone on the block will have one like the Audis and BMWs.

Right on target!! Although I like the sound of the old NSX and Honda essentially was trying to make it quiet for daily. If they actually focus on sound:eek::eek::eek: I love that Ted isn't focusing on numbers. Each and every interview he always focuses on driver connection , involvement , feel and experience. A car that's a joy to drive.

The RLX worries me. The pushed back the new model , told us it was going to look fabulous and compete with the Germans. It's blah looking , over priced and the performance is so so for it's class. Car has been out for half a year and takes a huge hit on resale. Seriously you can find the $65k version (what were they thinking) in the $40k's with only a couple thousand miles. I pray they people who thought it was a good idea have nothing to do with NSX decisions.

You guys keep mentioning the 2013 redesign of the civic as an example of quick and good work by Honda.

Let's see compared to 2012
Uglier front bumper--looks like it has a retainer on it
Bluetooth. .. Big deal
Backup camera on the tiny screen that is too small still
More sound dreading. ..anyone can add
Softer plastic..on doors and dash
Uglier black paint inside wheels
Better looking rear tailight

No drivetrain improvements. They could of direct injected the engine like accord or rlx, mdx but did not

My point is not that the 2013 civic is a bad car..but instead that you guys are reaching with this as an example of job well done

By the way the 2012 civic was the sales leader and media and most lay people are giving them too much credit and attention. The forum is not the general public. You are car guys so you have to do better then repeating what is out in the general media

Last edited:
The RLX worries me. The pushed back the new model , told us it was going to look fabulous and compete with the Germans. It's blah looking , over priced and the performance is so so for it's class. Car has been out for half a year and takes a huge hit on resale. Seriously you can find the $65k version (what were they thinking) in the $40k's with only a couple thousand miles. I pray they people who thought it was a good idea have nothing to do with NSX decisions.

Speaking of the RLX causing worry, I am concerned that the RLX Sport Hybrid model production schedule has also been pushed back. I thought they were going to introduce as a 2014 (i.e. fall of 2013)? If they are pushing it back, are they struggling to get the electric motors to vector torque or possibly work seemlessly with the combustion engine and transmission? And is this going be an issue for the new NSX?

You guys keep mentioning the 2013 redesign of the civic as an example of quick and good work by Honda.

Let's see compared to 2012
Uglier front bumper--looks like it has a retainer on it
Bluetooth. .. Big deal
Backup camera on the tiny screen that is too small still
More sound dreading. ..anyone can add
Softer plastic..on doors and dash
Uglier black paint inside wheels
Better looking rear tailight

No drivetrain improvements. They could of direct injected the engine like accord or rlx, mdx but did not

My point is not that the 2013 civic is a bad car..but instead that you guys are reaching with this as an example of job well done

By the way the 2012 civic was the sales leader and media and most lay people are giving them too much credit and attention. The forum is not the general public. You are car guys so you have to do better then repeating what is out in the general media

Maybe you're not the typical demo for a 2013 Civic. Usually old people and young drivers buy them. I agree about the interior door panels. Other than that, it is better. My aunt liked it and bought it and she rarely ever spends money. I went to go test drive it for her, so I'm familiar with it. It's not a bad little car at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer the previous gen SI over current gen still though.

Speaking of the RLX causing worry, I am concerned that the RLX Sport Hybrid model production schedule has also been pushed back. I thought they were going to introduce as a 2014 (i.e. fall of 2013)? If they are pushing it back, are they struggling to get the electric motors to vector torque or possibly work seemlessly with the combustion engine and transmission? And is this going be an issue for the new NSX?

I sure hope not.

The original NSX was a home run out of the ball park and the next NSX has been hyped to death by HONDA and the media and another home run is fully expected. The development team and HONDA itself have been set up well and truly for either merely delivering what has been promised and now fully expected or else.

Any "issues" that either come up with the car after it is introduced or that cause significant delay (even 2016 instead of 2015) will very seriously damage the image of HONDA and the future NSX.

I feel for the development team. The original NSX came on the scene when nothing was expected of it and when the Ferrari and Porsche competition of the day were essentially caught off guard and sleeping. The were awakened by the NSX and have continued to up their game RELENTLESSLY ever since. The NSX of 2015 is going to have to face the 2015 458 and GT3 among others. The bar that HONDA raised and challenged the competition with has continued to be raised while HONDA went on its hibernation. Now as the NSX prepares once again for its assault on the powers that be, the attack is not the blind siding that it was a quarter century ago and the defenders are fully armed with lethal weapons that produce out of this world performance while delivering sounds fit to be played in a symphony orchestra and that Mr. klaus himself found so profoundly moving.

When HONDA finally showed their vision of the next NSX they must have been aware of the formidable challenge at hand and if such a challenge had to be undertaken by any, I am glad and encouraged that it was HONDA, AN ENGINEERING POWERHOUSE second to none and at long last getting back in the ring with fighting gloves on and talking smack.

The gauntlet has bee thrown, the tough talk has been heard....now HONDA needs to deliver and knock the ball out of the ball park once again.

Last edited:
Again Ken, stop spinning the story.

I ask you a very basic question, what have Mr. Klaus disclosed at the NSXPO TO YOU personally, that he didn't disclose through other NSX owner, and/or any other media outlet?

What is the engine configuration, FI or NA? Actual engine size, etc? If your answer is different than what we think we already know, which is a 3.5L, direct injection, maybe Turbo, and three electric motors, I would like you to tell us.

As I have indicated, I used the word "probably" because there has not been any concret evidence of any information of any sort. So again, since you said I'm wrong three times through three assumptions because you actually know what's up their sleves, let's hear it.

You said "The rolling prototype in the commercial during the Super Bowl…" Where did you get that information from? We know about the running Accord with the prototype of the hybrid system and they have slap some panels over a NA1 NSX for Avengers, but the 2012 show car had no engine, no tranny, no interior, no door panels, etc. In fact, it was less ready than the HSC! AND it took them a year to show us a "Maybe" interior. So what do you actually know that people on prime have not heard, please tell us!

As for the Civic, the 2012 refresh, I'm quoting the article you're using:

"Honda has performed a thorough do-over of the Civic for 2013, modifying its look, its interior ambience, its front structure, and its suspension and steering systems.
With new front and rear styling, Honda grafts a shiny smile to the formerly sad, sluglike shape of the four-door Civic. Honda says it’s a more “emotional” and “youthful” design. This, of course, means nothing."

While Car and Driver repeated what Honda told them through a nice sales pitch, the truth is far from it.

As close friend of 25 years who is working high up in Nissan said, Honda simply return the decontented contents back to the car because the 2011 had a public relations disaster, with poor review for it's cheapness! Adding some chrome strips, using nicer materials, tightening up the steering ratio is nothing special, but somehow you think it's magical that they got that done in one year - One a car they supposed to sell more than 300,000 a year. yeah, they're paying the same attention to a future car they might not even sell 1000 a year.

Brilliant!

I guess you're easily impressed.

It took Honda one year to show us what the new NSX interior "may" look like and they have to get all that ready by 2015, and somehow you believe they will build a brand new drivetrain with a car that might not sell. Even the original NSX took them six years to develop and they still used the C block, derived from the Legend that was already five years into production before the finalized version of NSX 1.0.

There is a good reason why when a new 911 comes out, they called it evolution from the previous car, by tweak what's already there and beef up what's needed.

If Honda is clever, which I suspect they are, they will simply update the original NSX chassis and save R&D cost, also time!

I sure hope not.

The original NSX was a home run out of the ball park and the next NSX has been hyped to death by HONDA and the media and another home run is fully expected. The development team and HONDA itself have been set up well and truly for either merely delivering what has been promised and now fully expected or else.

Any "issues" that either come up with the car after it is introduced or that cause significant delay (even 2016 instead of 2015) will very seriously damage the image of HONDA and the future NSX.

I feel for the development team. The original NSX came on the scene when nothing was expected of it and when the Ferrari and Porsche competition of the day were essentially caught off guard and sleeping. The were awakened by the NSX and have continued to up their game RELENTLESSLY ever since. The NSX of 2015 is going to have to face the 2015 458 and GT3 among others. The bar that HONDA raised and challenged the competition with has continued to be raised while HONDA went on its hibernation. Now as the NSX prepares once again for its assault on the powers that be, the attack is not the blind siding that it was a quarter century ago and the defenders are fully armed with lethal weapons that produce out of this world performance while delivering sounds fit to be played in a symphony orchestra and that Mr. klaus himself found so profoundly moving.

When HONDA finally showed their vision of the next NSX they must have been aware of the formidable challenge at hand and if such a challenge had to be undertaken by any, I am glad and encouraged that it was HONDA, AN ENGINEERING POWERHOUSE second to none and at long last getting back in the ring with fighting gloves on and talking smack.

The gauntlet has bee thrown, the tough talk has been heard....now HONDA needs to deliver and knock the ball out of the ball park once again.

The bar wasn't very high back in the 1980's. Ferrari 328 and Testarossa are just lookers, Audi had nothing, Nissan had nothing, Corvettes were jokes. The bar has risen over and over by other makers since the introduction of the original NSX. Everyone is using aluminum and some (CF), and they all figured out high NA output using the same system Honda came up with. However, there are more potential buyers out there in today's environment even with this donkey of a economy. If Nissan can sell every GTR's they make at full msrp plus some, there is hope that the new NSX can have the similar result. That's why if the car can run with Nissan GTR, the look alone should sell more car if they are priced similarly. It will be foolish for Honda to price this car above NA 911, when you know the production cost will be lower than the german rivals.

Last edited:
Back