• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need information on tracking a Miata

I have been tracking my NSX for three years. I am now looking at a 1991 track set-up turbo Miata, but I will still track the NSX. As the repairs are less with the Miata, I am thinking I can push things a little harder. With the motor being in the front I will get to learn some different driving skills.

I know very little about Miatas. I would like to talk with someone or find the place to get some information on them. Post information, PM or I will call you back.

Thank you,
Lance

Lance,
I have owned 3 different MX-5 (=Miata) over the last 13 years.
One I supercharged, the last (and presently still owned) I turbocharged.
I haven't specifically track tuned them, but did make all needed suspension/brake/chassis upgrades to comply with the extra power.
Also I have used them on the track quite a few times, VERY nice car to use for this too.
What would you like to know?

Rene

I have been tracking my NSX for three years. I am now looking at a 1991 track set-up turbo Miata, but I will still track the NSX. As the repairs are less with the Miata, I am thinking I can push things a little harder. With the motor being in the front I will get to learn some different driving skills.

I know very little about Miatas. I would like to talk with someone or find the place to get some information on them. Post information, PM or I will call you back.

Thank you,
Lance
Good job lance! Glad to hear you are taking the advice to get a track-miata. One of the biggest things is to make sure you have adequate cooling - radiator and oil. I think it's a good move to do, miata's are a lot of fun and will teach you a lot.

You'll haveto bring either the miata or your NSX out to the track for a Factor X driving clinic!

Give me a call, and we'll talk more.

Billy

There is a vast amount of information about Miata's on the web. Just do a Google search for Spec Miata. :wink:

First, I would like to thank you for your response. The most important question (should I consider it?) has been answered by your enthusiasm for the Miata.

I do have some more specific questions:

Does this car do fine with a turbo?

If I get to the point where I feel confident enough to race it, is there a turbo race group? ( Other than tracking)

The car only has a roll-bar. Is that OK for group races?

What tire pressure should I start out with? I know I may need to adjust it later.

Thanks again! Lance

First, I would like to thank you for your response. The most important question (should I consider it?) has been answered by your enthusiasm for the Miata.

What tire pressure should I start out with? I know I may need to adjust it later.

Thanks again! Lance

Just answering on the questions that I have experience with:

If you want least engine stress with nice performance: put on a supercharger. It's only real problems are the drivebelt and the drivebelt pulleys, these will need to be changed quite often as the pulley barings have a relatively short lifespan. Other than this, it is quite a troublefree upgrade giving about 35-45 extra fwhp compared to standard engine (on both 1.6 and 1.8 engine).

If you want maximum performance, you can put on a Turbosystem.
This will give you between 60-100 fwhp extra, but will need a lot more modifications on the car as thermal stress is much higher: you MUST upgrade the cooling system a lot and it would be wise to put on a big oilcooler and a high flow oilpump.

With both systems, a anti-detonation device is very advisable and they MUST be checked on the dyno for correct A/F and detonation.

Tire pressure depends on which type of tyres you will be using: with street tyres usually you should raise pressure a bit (0.2-0.3 bar) with intermediates or slicks, you should probably run a bit lower pressure.

Just my 2cents:rolleyes:

If I get to the point where I feel confident enough to race it, is there a turbo race group? ( Other than tracking)

The car only has a roll-bar. Is that OK for group races?

Thanks again! Lance

Lance, there may be race groups for turbo’s, but I’m not aware of them. You can not race with just a roll-bar. If you plan on driving the car at the limit on the track, I’m not sure why you want to even practice with just a roll-bar.

If you have any thoughts of racing it some day, definitely buy an already prepped Spec Miata with a full cage. It is safer and they are mostly bullet proof. I have no experience with the turbo cooling question, but most normally aspirated racecars already run hot, therefore enlarged aluminum radiators are in order (my Spec Miata has one and most of the ones for sale do also).

Buy a car that is already prepared. Buy a car that is already prepared. Yes, I repeated that!

Go to www.specmiata.com

Bob

I would say you would better off getting a SM and getting good at it. Then whe you add a turbo you will be significantly quicker. That's what I am planning on doing.

I have a friend who bought a Flying miata(turbo). I notice that he is quicker on the straights but not as quick in the curves. In other words, he is still driving it like a HP car. SM's when driven properly can keep up with many big HP cars including NSX's.

Thank you!

I am still waiting for the seller of the car to fix a gas leak. Then I will get FactorX to check the car out. I may need to bring the car in to their shop during the dark of the night, so I don't give them a bad name.

Lance

I would say you would better off getting a SM and getting good at it.

+ 1

The whole point of the platform is that it is cost effective, and you will have other guys with comparable hardware to duke it out with. You can go to any region in the country and find at least 10 guys to calibrate yourself against in a SM.

While the turbo may be a little faster all other things being equal, like anything else it won't ever be enough to mask the driver behind the wheel. In the long-run I think you would have more fun in SM.

My 0.2

Lance,

I've been racing Spec Miata for several years and with the latest rule changes giving more suspension travel, the best class for learning how to race has gotten even better. Since you are already thinking Miata, an already built and sorted SM like Bob's would be a great choice. Don't get too caught up in HP numbers. If learning to race is part of your goal, a turbo will just make the car more difficult to learn in because it masks a lot of driving mistakes and exaggerates others.

What part of the country are you in?

Also check ou www.SpecMiataClassifieds.com.

I've tracked my NSX and my s2000 quite frequent, and recently I drove a friend's $3500 Miata at the track, boy was that car fun. The car is very manageable, if you can control your nsx, you would have no problem throwing the Miata around, the car is extremely forgiving. I would not go the turbo route, staying na will allow you to gauge your yourself. You will see plenty of Miata at every hpde event, so getting help on setup would be easy.

I have a street Miata that I daily drive and I absolutely love it. The car turns in REALLY good and is super easy to catch when you get things a little out of control. I love the way it handles (only regret is putting cheap General Exclaim UHP's on it recently).

I've seriously considered racing spec miata as well. I currently race Tag SR in a kart, which is something else you may want to consider (running cost would be similar at club level). The kart is great, I love doing 3G turns with MG yellow tires on a sticky track... but I hate blowing up the Italian motors three times a year.

Lance,

I've been racing Spec Miata for several years and with the latest rule changes giving more suspension travel, the best class for learning how to race has gotten even better. Since you are already thinking Miata, an already built and sorted SM like Bob's would be a great choice. Don't get too caught up in HP numbers. If learning to race is part of your goal, a turbo will just make the car more difficult to learn in because it masks a lot of driving mistakes and exaggerates others.

What part of the country are you in?

Also check ou www.SpecMiataClassifieds.com.

Steve, I am in Las Vegas. Thanks for the information about HP.

Lance

Back