• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If you have a GMail account and/or Android phone you should look at this

i love it. I had some unknown charges on my CC once, and was able to track down my location the day of the charges, which led me to learn that two restaurants next to each other were owned by the same guy and all CCs were processed under one of the names (i had dined at the other).

it also tells me how far i have to go to the moon.

also this is an OPT IN feature, so if you have data there you have enabled it or said "yes" to it at some point...

"you have no location history" is all I get back and I've got a gmail account AND an Android - I turned off my location stuff, because I am always on the road and don't want anyone to be able to know when I am away. Mainly, because I didn't want it posting to Facespace where I am near when I am traveling. Call me paranoid, but the less people know, the better.

"you have no location history" is all I get back and I've got a gmail account AND an Android - I turned off my location stuff, because I am always on the road and don't want anyone to be able to know when I am away. Mainly, because I didn't want it posting to Facespace where I am near when I am traveling. Call me paranoid, but the less people know, the better.

great thinking!

That is about the only time I turn mine on and only if I don't have my GPS with me at the time. When I travel I almost always have a GPS on me.

I don't get too terribly worried about our house, because between the alarm and the dogs it would take someone with balls of steel to break in. The monitoring company, when I've accidentally tripped the alarm, literally calls the panel for the security password within 15 seconds. Both my wife and I haven't ever made it to the panel to turn it off before they're asking for our safe word - and between the cameras and layers of sensors I don't think anyone would get to anything valuable - not to mention as a last line of defense she's got a .45 and 12 gauge at her disposal.

Our alarm system is set up so that if tripped the cameras automatically record and save to an internet database we can access. For the ~$70/month it is the best thing I spend money on every single month in my eyes, since I am always on the road!

Crime rates here are relatively low, but one can never be too safe. I fear that some may see our toys and it would think our house a good target to hit, so the best defense is offense in my eyes!

Last edited:
you guys realize that this information is private and is not shared unless you want it to be, right? also you can only share your current location, not your history.

always the possibility of someone getting access to your account i suppose. but if you have a gmail/google account you should definitely enable 2 factor authentication.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/180744?hl=en

Apple does this as well for what it's worth.
It is freaky to see a map of everywhere I've been in the last 30 days and be able to hit the play button to animate it.

To expand on this concept, google, the NSA, and all governments the NSA sells data to know the following about you simply from this "metadata":
- How fast you drive
- Who your real friends are(same people, same place, etc)
- What social clubs you're in(same people, same place, etc)
- Who your work friends are (lunch together with same people)
- If you're a loner (do you not eat lunch with groups, etc)
- How often you go to the gun range
- What hobbies you have (often fishing, golfing, autocrossing, etc)
- How boring you are in my case
- If you really workout or not
- Do you eat too much fast food (Does your GPS show you at TacoBell too much)
- Do you ever go to the bookstore
- Do you shop at Walmart or Target
- Do you vote (does GPS show you at a voting location on X day)
- If you have family (are you alone during holidays)
- what else????

Last edited:
also the size of your junk and whether you prefer big or little spoon.

Nothing on mine. Gotta remember to enable this on the wife's phone...

Just found the Apple equivalent setting.

Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Frequent Locations.

Turn off Frequent Locations so that it stops collecting. It does not get "used" unless one enables "Improve Maps". Also check all your apps that use location based services.

The saddest thing about this is how little I travel. You could draw a triangle between my home, my work, and my kids' school and 99% of my check-ins are within that small area.

Back